x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not? The only file of concern is system.xml.

My understanding is that this file is not affected by flashing the nand. So even if you have a nand backup, it won't do you any good.

disclaimer: I don't claim to know exactly why it doesn't work.

Edit: I'm completely wrong. I looked into it more, and it seems the reason people are saying it's not recoverable is because none of them bothered to make a nand backup.

Last edited by x65943,
Reactions: DocAmes1980

vasalpa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Why shouldn't an ordinary user just use the Brazilian method exploit? If he is just into USB game loading (non dlc I know), why should he bother with coldboot if there is even 1% chance of bricking? I think that the Brazilian method is by far the easiest one.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why shouldn't an ordinary user just use the Brazilian method exploit? If he is just into USB game loading (non dlc I know), why should he bother with coldboot if there is even 1% chance of bricking? I think that the Brazilian method is by far the easiest one.

If he wants nonlegit dlc he will need sig patching - which is what coldboot/haxchi is nice for, because it allows you to run the exploit without needing the internet.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Guys, I appreciate everyone's answers, but I'm no noob when it comes to this. I am aware of everything that was mentioned.

Not using CBHC, mocha, rednand, and anything else is not because I'm clueless about them or scared of bricks or anything. It's a choice I made because I simply am not interested in them. I have no use for them. 95% of my Wii u usage will be playing the games I installed thought Brazilian method. I literally got every single game I wanted with that method. I will be installing Haxchi solely for the 5% of the time I'll want HBL just to get rid of self hosting.

Now, can we please get back to the main questions?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
@Madridi
You can use FT2SD to dump stuff from your NAND, it needs the dev-node so you need Mocha CFW to use it.
http://www.wiiubru.com/appstore/#/app/ft2sd
Thanks, I'm aware of this program. But it's not what I'm looking for.
From what I understand, the program dumps stuff from your NAND. By NAND dumper, I meant that what I'm looking for is a program that would create a NAND image, which this program doesn't do. Right?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, can we please get back to the main questions?

I'm confused as to what remains unanswered. There is no standalone dumper. Just use Mocha CFW and enable the use redNAND option. You can just use it to dump your NAND. You don't need to use redNAND.

You said you're going to install Haxchi for HBL. Haxchi has built in sigpatching. Just launch it once after you boot and then you can launch any title. Job done.

Reactions: Madridi

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only nand image dumper is sdio_nand_manager (which requires rednand), but I think you will be fine if you dump your stuff with FT2SD, OTP2SD and SEEPROM2SD.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I'm confused as to what remains unanswered. There is no standalone dumper. Just use Mocha CFW and enable the use redNAND option. You can just use it to dump your NAND. You don't need to use redNAND.

You said you're going to install Haxchi for HBL. Haxchi has built in sigpatching. Just launch it once after you boot and then you can launch any title. Job done.
1- Thanks. I really never got any confirmation on that in the entire thread (with the exception of the first reply)

2- sigpatches is not what I asked about. I asked about a specific scenario regarding a legit ticket with a partially owned dlc. I asked if that ticket could be used to unlock all dlc (as I saw references to that here and there) and wondered if that ticket is used, would that make be non fake signed in that case or not?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2- sigpatches is not what I asked about. I asked about a specific scenario regarding a legit ticket with a partially owned dlc. I asked if that ticket could be used to unlock all dlc (as I saw references to that here and there) and wondered if that ticket is used, would that make be non fake signed in that case or not?

I see. You want to be able to unlock and play said DLC without having to apply sigpatching. I'm sorry, I dunno. I kinda doubt that could work but that's a total hunch. I would still say that applying sigpatching is so trivial (tapping an icon once per boot) that it's not worth sweating over but I understand being anal. I went through an unnecessary process (coldboothax and later CBHC) just to not have to tap said icon after boot. There's something wrong with us. Something very, very wrong with us.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I see. You want to be able to unlock and play said DLC without having to apply sigpatching. I'm sorry, I dunno. I kinda doubt that could work but that's a total hunch. I would still say that applying sigpatching is so trivial (tapping an icon once per boot) that it's not worth sweating over but I understand being anal. I went through an unnecessary process (coldboothax and later CBHC) just to not have to tap said icon after boot. There's something wrong with us. Something very, very wrong with us.
The dlc question is more of wanting to know the knowledge about the possibility of doing that, rather than actually playing them.

Sure, sigpatches are trivial really. I just would like to know more info about them.

Coming from the 3DS scene, I avoided CIA installations and purely used roms simply because each installation is associated with a fake ticket written to ticket.db with a zeroed out console ID. While removing the ticket is simple, tickets in ticket.db is permenant, and can't be removed. I, and a lot others, hated that.

I would assume the wiiu uses the same kind of structure (maybe @FIX94 can confirm this). On the 3ds, the only 2 ways to get back a clean ticket.db is to either dump a clean ticket.db before any installations are done, and inject that back whenever you would like the clean one back (formatting doesn't clean the db), or to restore an earlier Clean NAND dump from before any modifications were done.

As for the dlc on the 3ds, you actually are able to use your ticket to unlock all dlc, but every time you access the eshop, the unpaid portion is removed from the system.

Now knowing all of the above, it should be clear why I asked about a NAND dumper, and how dlc works if not using a fake ticket, but instead using your own ticket with a partially owned dlc :)

Reactions: DocAmes1980

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The dlc question is more of wanting to know the knowledge about the possibility of doing that, rather than actually playing them.

Sure, sigpatches are trivial really. I just would like to know more info about them.

Coming from the 3DS scene, I avoided CIA installations and purely used roms simply because each installation is associated with a fake ticket written to ticket.db with a zeroed out console ID. While removing the ticket is simple, tickets in ticket.db is permenant, and can't be removed. I, and a lot others, hated that.

I would assume the wiiu uses the same kind of structure (maybe @FIX94 can confirm this). On the 3ds, the only 2 ways to get back a clean ticket.db is to either dump a clean ticket.db before any installations are done, and inject that back whenever you would like the clean one back (formatting doesn't clean the db), or to restore an earlier Clean NAND dump from before any modifications were done.

As for the dlc on the 3ds, you actually are able to use your ticket to unlock all dlc, but every time you access the eshop, the unpaid portion is removed from the system.

Now knowing all of the above, it should be clear why I asked about a NAND dumper, and how dlc works if not using a fake ticket, but instead using your own ticket with a partially owned dlc :)
If you dump your tickets with tik2sd, those tickets will be legit in your own console and you will be able to use them to reinstall your own legit content (DLCs in this case).

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
If you dump your tickets with tik2sd, those tickets will be legit in your own console and you will be able to use them to reinstall your own legit content (DLCs in this case).
Sure, but isn't it possible to use that same legit ticket to unlock all dlc? Cause thats possible with the 3ds

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sure, but isn't it possible to use that same legit ticket to unlock all dlc? Cause thats possible with the 3ds
Maybe, I didn't try to play around merging DLCs, but every DLC (for one game) shares the same TID, and the fact is that everything under the "content" folder doesn't need sign checks, so I thing you could go ahead and try to merge files under content folder using ftpiiu everywhere :)

Edit: If that work,you could probably install the fullset DLC using your legit ticket.

Last edited by Billy Acuña,

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
dont forget tik2sd! :P
What would you actually recommend to everyone? I'm not using anything right now, the signatures and region patching of CBHC are enough?

I guess that in the future everyone will just use this option and everything else will become obsolete, for the average user at least, who knows?

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
..except that you do get ftpiiu faster and you can use libiosuhax, thats how all my recent applications work. the only thing you dont get with cbhc/haxchi is a online wupserver which you wont need anyways if you are not a developer.
With ftpiiu speedboost I'm talking about @Hikari06 s companion for wiiu USB helper that drastically increases the upload speed. You do have libiosuhax but the odd app thosent detect your version like the above mentioned and the stock ftpiiu_everywhere.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's unecessary and you gain nothing from it, not a thing you should recommend to new comers who make up 99% of the bricks
You can brick everything if you don't follow directions. You should try it so your more comfortable recommending it. Most people are afraid because of the disclaimer. Look at the brick page. Out of all the homebrew users the list is pretty small.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.