A couple of questions..

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Madridi, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Hey guys,

I just caught up with the recent hacks a while ago, and almost finally ditching loadiine for good.

My set up is simple:
    - self hosting for HBL (will move to Haxchi soon, already bought and downloaded a compatible title, not interested in coldboot)
    - Brazilian method for installing legit games (which means I don't need any cfw or rednand)

Now, I have 2 questions:

- I see references to a NAND dumper, is there one that I'm not finding for whatever reason? I am fully aware the dump can't be restored, and as far as I understand, you get a NAND dump in one of the steps in creating rednand. But for those who are not interested in rednand, any NAND dumper out there?

- I understand installing dlc using a fake ticket will require a cfw or sigpatch app for it to launch (or even install for that matter). But I think I also read that if you own a part of the dlc, you can use the ticket to unlock all dlc, thus making it not requiring any sort of sigpatch?
    So, for SSB4, I own mewtwo dlc. So what, do I just use tik2sd, download the dlc using the PC, and just replace the ticket from the downloaded folder with my real one? Is it as simple as that? Surely it's more complicated than that..

Anyway, help with the above would be appreciated :)

2. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    1. No, the nand dumper is only for rednand, and is automatically done when you first launch rednand.
    2. I don't think so, i think you will need to download and install dlc with WUPinstaller (i could be wrong though.)

Madridi likes this.
  3. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    It could still be useful to use the rednand dumper just to have a copy of your nand. It is an accurate dump.

ItsKipz likes this.
  4. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada
    It would be cool if devs would code a standalone nand dumper so we could create a safety net more easily...

Madridi likes this.
  5. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    It's pretty easy as is. You can find it precompiled on other websites as well.

6. lebrawurschd

lebrawurschd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    youre easiest setup would be haxchi + mocha for usb loading
    you dont need nand dump aslong as you dont mess around with ftpiiu evrywhere cbhc and sysconfigtool on sysnand. wich you dont need for usb loading anyways

7. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada
    I know that nand dumps can still be achieved, it would just be nice to have the standalone app. I'm not worried about bricking, but I still like the idea of having the backup. My soldering iron has touched nearly every console/handheld of the past 20 years...

Madridi likes this.
  8. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You really should just set up CBHC. I'm confident you can follow directions. Just autoboot to system menu and you're all patched. Easy peasy

DocAmes1980 likes this.
  9. lebrawurschd

lebrawurschd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    ive used my wiiu hardmod 5 times to restore my backup but im messing around with stuff in sysmenu to modify shit

10. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    It's unecessary and you gain nothing from it, not a thing you should recommend to new comers who make up 99% of the bricks

11. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    I wouldn't say you gain nothing from it. You gain the functionality of having sigpatching automatically applied on boot. I get what you're driving at though. You can apply sigpatches via Haxchi after booting but having everything good to go with no user interaction is so much cooler.

The OP doesn't strike me as somebody that does something without understanding what he's doing. 100% of the people who bricked with CBHC did so because they failed to follow simple directions. Can we stop advising people based on the lowest common denominator? You also may not be aware that CBHC is now almost idiot proof. Using the built in patching disallows the title from being moved, deleted, or overwritten. Yes, somebody will still find a way to brick but what can you do? Besides, dude is going to make a dump and he's itching to violate the console with his soldering iron anyways.

OP:
    1. Make a dump using Mocha CFW
    2. Dump your OTP keys using the OTP2SD homebrew app
    3. Install CBHC
    4. B****es come running

12. dojafoja

dojafoja life elevated

Jan 2, 2014
    You should NOT use Haxchi+ Mocha to achieve simple sigpatched sysNAND. PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY STOP RECOMMENDING THIS. You ONLY need the latest Haxchi. Hold 'b' while launching Haxchi and BOOM you are kicked back to a sigpatched sysNAND. Or set it up to sigpatch by default and hold 'b' for HBL or whatever.

Straight from Fix94 in the official Haxchi thread:

Its example config.txt will boot homebrew launcher by default, a fw.imgon your sd card when holding A and holding B will send you back into the system menu which will get full signature and region patching and support thisftpiiu-everywhere version; Haxchi comes with its own sysnand CFW included.

Last edited by dojafoja, Dec 30, 2016
  13. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    I just use quick start, same boot time and risk free, enjoy it much more knowing if I mess something with my homebrew at least I won't be bricked

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You don't get ftpiiu speedboost or wup server or iosuhax lib with built in cfw, there is no harm in using mocha if they need these features

14. dojafoja

dojafoja life elevated

Jan 2, 2014
    Fair enough but it was and keeps getting recommended for simple USB loading. Not many people will use wupserver or libiosuhax, especially if they just want USB loading. If they are into development or poking around then sure but most people just need sigpatches. The 2 questions in this particular OP involved a NAND dumper and a way to run 'acquired' dlc. I don't think Mocha is a good choice for this. I guess I just meant it shouldnt be the goto recommendation for just sigpatching.

Last edited by dojafoja, Dec 30, 2016
    Madridi likes this.
  15. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Risk free? Where's the fun in that? Besides, the risk of setting up CBHC, like many risks, is greatly exaggerated. That was my point. The Wii U is just a $300 thing. It's not like people are risking their first born or anything. So many in the community are fucking pussies in this regard. One dude bricks because he failed to follow the simple instruction of installing the title to his NAND and not his USB. Said dude then writes a post telling people that they shouldn't even attempt it because there is a 99% chance they will brick. Just because a few people failed to follow instructions doesn't mean everyone should be treated like they're incapable.

You do you. The quick start menu seems like a pretty reasonable way to get the job done.

16. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Given that a large portion of the userbase is under 18, and even under 16, $300 is a lot of money. Then you have to consider people from poorer countries etc.

Some people have no recourse for a bricked console.

Chuardo likes this.
  17. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    ..except that you do get ftpiiu faster and you can use libiosuhax, thats how all my recent applications work. the only thing you dont get with cbhc/haxchi is a online wupserver which you wont need anyways if you are not a developer.

dojafoja likes this.
  18. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    I factored that into my rant. If $300 is a lot of money or you are worried about your parents killing you then that's something you'd have to factor into your decision. It doesn't change the risks involved just the consequences of failure.

Wii U bricks are recoverable as well. Even if you lack the skills to do the hard mod odds are good that you could find somebody to do it for you.

x65943 likes this.
  19. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    If you screw up cold boot, it can't be recovered even with a hard mod.

20. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Why not? The only file of concern is system.xml.

x65943 likes this.