a couple of problems!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by metalmystere, Jan 17, 2013.

Jan 17, 2013

a couple of problems!! by metalmystere at 10:31 PM (1,440 Views / 0 Likes) 45 replies

1. metalmystere
    OP

Newcomer metalmystere Advanced Member

United States
    Ok, i bought an xbox 360 off ebay for $20 and in the description it said all that was wrong was the console would not read or play games.
    well i got it yesterday plugged it all up it turned on to the dash and in a few minutes 3 red rings.
    i took it apart and noticed that someone had tried to remove and replace the thermal paste before, so i
    re-applied some more thermal paste and fitted the heatsinks with the washer method.
    turned it on and it worked again, but the dvd still will not play, so i replaced the dvd drive with another which was the same model and changed the boards, and it still won't read? is thier a way of checking if the board is the one for the motherboard? oh and i got the red rings again !!!
    thanks.

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Trash it.
    It's not really worth fixing an old 360 anymore.
    The RGH is out and a new hardware hack is announced so older 360's are less and lesser worth.

Once it gets an RROD it'll keep getting an RRoD.

3. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    i understand what you mean... thats why i bought it when it just said that it was only that it would not read games. i always skip past listings with RROD, i left a message with the seller and, well like you can expect they said that it had no RROD just the dvd would not play, and i can't send it back because they sell them AS IS no refunds, i do have one older xbox 360 that's working great, i got this one so i could mod one of them to play backups from a hdd. thanks for your reply you have a good reputation and i like your honesty, but if i could just get it so i could use it, even it's just for a little while, then i will feel at least i got more than $20 worth.

4. DinohScene

Antarctica
    I don't think you'll be able to RGH it (I'm suspecting it's over 14719)
    Xenons can't be glitched on 14719 and higher if they can glitch at all.
    Zephyrs are also a pain to hack.

However TX is working on a new hardware hack so you might be in luck.

If you want to hardware hack it then you can reheat the chips (till it says it overheats with the toweltrick or whatever) and try to get a week orso out of it.
    But imho, it's not worth the effort.
    Just sell the parts and mod the casing to be a nice casemod and sell that for 30 quid orso.

I can't decide for you ofcourse but it's seriously just isn't worth it anymore to fuck around with old RRoD consoles ;]

5. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    well update time, i heated the chips up, placed new thermal paste on them put it all back together left it for a while and now had in on with no red lights for about 10 mins so far now, longest it's been on lol, anyway the other problem i have is that i swapped the drive out with one i have had for a while and i know it works, swapped the board from the old that came with the xbox to the one that i already had and it plays a dvd movie no problem, but when i put in a xbox 360 game it comes up with to play this disc put in a xbox 360 console. dunno whats going on there?

6. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Have you by any chance flashed the firmware of the board?
    Is it the exact same drive?

7. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    same drive, not flashed the board it's an hitachi drive, don't have the usb pro or cki mini, but i heard you can flash using the xbox power and a sata cable which i have, just not sure which firmware to use or where to get it? do you think that might help?

8. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Hmm.
    Shouldn't make much of a difference.
    Yes you can flash it using the 360 as a powersource but it's not recommended at all.

Hitachi drives aren't that reliable.
    You can tweak the lasers POT.
    Only increase it a TINY amount.
    Be sure to measure the resistance of the POT if you tweak it.

9. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    when you say not recommeneded at all, does that mean i might fry the console or my pc? or that i would get a ban from live? because i will never use live.
    tweaking the pots is a very last resort for me, because that could really screw things up more than they are now, but if it comes to it then i will, but just a little bit and then try.

10. DinohScene

Antarctica
    You could screw up your DVD drive more easily.

If you tweak it by a few ohms then usually it won't matter much (on the life expectancy) but it can mean that you can play normal games again.

11. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    ok, i shall give that a try in a few minutes, but how come both drives are saying the same thing? and playing normal dvd movies? when the game disc is in the drive it just say's play dvd, not showing what the game is or title? i'm just curious that the board that was on the dvd drive is not the board that goes with the motherboard? anyway of me finding that out?

12. DinohScene

Antarctica
    I had 6 Hitachi drives once that acted up.
    Their just shitty drives.
    The laser just dies quickly in them.

You can't swap the DVD boards unfortunately.
    DVD boards are tied to the motherboard with the DVD key.

13. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    thats what i meant about not being sure if the board that was in the origanal drive was the one meant for that motherboard, remember i bought this thing cheap on ebay.
    so when i used my other hitachi drive i swapped my board with this one so it would tie in with the motherboard. still doing good on no red ring, just gotta try and get this dvd playing games now lol

14. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Then it should boot up with an E65 error if me memory isn't failing me.

I'm still suspecting it's the DVD laser.
    I highly doubt that it's the firmware but I'm not entirely sure about that either.

You could of course flash a stock or hacked FW to the drive but I doubt that it'll make a difference.

15. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    Ok DinohScene i will try the pot tweak tonight and if that didn't help then i will be back tomorrow and see if it maybe possible to be able to if i say pretty please help me find a good guide and recent firmware to try and flash the drive with jungleflasher using the xbox for power.

16. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Download Jungleflasher, it comes with a manual on how to use it.
    As for the firmwares.
    Try Xbins.
    Google autoxbins to easy connect to the IRC server.
    I can't give out links cause it's copyrighted code ;]

17. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    ok i have been looking around on the net and other people have had the same problem with the play dvd instead of the game name, one mentioned that if it's not the right dvd drive for that board then that might happen? i don't know if thats true? they also said that if you don't have the keys then your screwed, i don't know how to find out if this is the right drive for the motherboard? i can't tweak the pot's, can't find my multimeter and i doubt flashing the drive's gonna do much. damn this xbox is becoming a nightmare!!!

18. DinohScene

Antarctica
    If it's the wrong FW or whatever then the console usually boots with an E65 error.

I can't think of the seller supplying the wrong DVD drive with the Mobo.
    If you're really unsure of it then you can wait for TX's new hardware hack.
    Their still perfecting it.

19. metalmystere
    OP

United States
    ok i might just box it up and see what come's about, sometimes it's better to just wait a little than to dive head first in, but i still have the pot tweak to try, i'm going to go out and buy another multimeter this weekend, i have no idea where the one i had went? it's always the same when you need something it's just not there LOL.
    and thanks for all your help :)

20. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Aye.
    Good luck on it ;]

Hah yeh I have the same problem ;p

No problems ;]
    If you need me then give a shoutout ;]