Homebrew A couple Menuhax newb questions

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bet there have been a lot of newcomer issues since Browserhax hit the scene... Anyway... :lol:

Sorry to be yet another. I'm not a TOTAL noob - I managed to softmod my Wii using its stock browser and a lifted Wi-fi connection - I'm just really late to 3DS modding and quite confused.

I used Smealum's starter kit (with Menuhax manager swapped out to v3.0) via Browserhax to install Menuhax on an Old 3DSXL 11.0.0-33U. All is good. I just have a few questions.

1) The issue with freezing when returning to HOME Menu from game nodes. I just read in another topic that it's common, and can be resolved with A9LH or a New3DS. So I guess that changes my question: Is there a handy glossary of hacks and other terms? I've looked up many of these things like A9LH, but still have trouble grasping it all.

2) Is there a simple way to temporarily remove Menuhax, aside from deleting it via Menuhex manager, in case I need/want to for whatever reason? Like a certain file I can remove from the SD card with no harmful effects? Or, does it even matter, since I imagine anything that Nintendoes to check for mods would still find the Menuhax thread on bootup?

3) When I change my HOME Menu theme, then reboot, it reverts back to the previous one. And just a little while ago, I powered-down from inside a game, and upon the next bootup, ALL my downloaded software was gift-wrapped again and placed overtop of where some badges were. Not a big deal, but could this have been something to do with Menuhax, or maybe it was due to CHMM2?

Thanks a lot for any clarification. Understanding this will help me understand other mod stuff in the long run.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If u are on 11.0 then Menuhax is useless to you and so is a9lh. In order to get custom firmware, a9lh, basically, pirate stuff, u need to downgrade and 11.0 blocks downgrading. You can use homebrew like emulators and such, but that's it. In order to downgrade from 11.0 you either need a 2nd 3ds that is already hacked with CFW, or you need to install a hard mod. Sorry for the bad news.

Edit: Sorry, I am a derp. U can use Menuhax to access HBL easily. Yes u can remove it by removing files from the sd. You can also use the hb app to uninstall or just simply change your home theme and it will break the hacks.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
The freeze is normal in 10.6-11.0 as how sdiconhax works.
You can delete Home Menu extdata folder, but if you do that you will need to download and set up again your Home Menu themes in case you have some downloaded.
The themes not changing and the gifts are also because how sdiconhax works extadat SaveData.dat can"t be updatedso it"s blcoked, you can"t do more to this than uninstall set the new theme and open all gifts and then install again MenuHax.
By the way if you are going to uninstall MenuHax you can make a backup of "Nintendo 3DS" folder in the SD Card to have a backup as if a new sytem update is launched with a fixed Browser Nintendo can block the Browser.

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, thanks for the info guys!

One thing that would be most helpful is some kind of glossary like I mentioned. Some kind of description of common terms or programs.

It would be nice to have NAND backups, Home Menu injections, etc., but I'm still clueless about custom firmware.

By the way if you are going to uninstall MenuHax you can make a backup of "Nintendo 3DS" folder in the SD Card to have a backup as if a new sytem update is launched with a fixed Browser Nintendo can block the Browser.
When I backup that folder, what element(s) that allow the hack are being backed up? It's not the old Browser with the vulnerability, is it?

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for the info guys!

One thing that would be most helpful is some kind of glossary like I mentioned. Some kind of description of common terms or programs.

It would be nice to have NAND backups, Home Menu injections, etc., but I'm still clueless about custom firmware.

When I backup that folder, what element(s) that allow the hack are being backed up? It's not the old Browser with the vulnerability, is it?
You don't need to worry about custom firmware (CFW) since you are on 11.0. You would either need to install a hardmod, or get another new 3ds that's already hacked, then buy a $5 eShop game and do a system transfer. These are the ONLY 2 ways to install CFW on 11.0 unfortunately. To clarify, CFW is an edited version of your system's real firmware. It does things such as, but not limited to, removing signature checking, allowing for piracy and/or homebrew.

When you back up that folder, it's the theme data that contains the exploit. That's why menuhax breaks if you change the theme by normal means.

I'm not gonna sit here and write out a glossary for you, but if you would like to name some terms you would like clarification on, I would be happy to help.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
As said it"s the themes extdata and other SD contet that"s inside and is saved like games, games extdata, badges, games savedata and more.
No, if you don"t want to get the Browser and Home Menu blocked to use the exploits you shouldn"t update when a new update come if it blocks the exploits, but in addition since 9.9.0-X Nintendo added a check to the Browser to see if is updated, in case it is trigger it will nag the browser asking to update until you update or the server return that the browser version isn"t needed to update (the only one older browser with the version check that isn"t needed as now is New 3DS 10.2 because a error of Nintedo in it related to the browser update message that crash the browser if it ttries to show the message, because that probbably Nintendo didn"t blocked New 3DS 10.2 Browser) and the bypass to that was fixed in 10.7.0-X so you can"t use the bypass to that.

Last edited by Clector,

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did everyone forget GBATemp has a Glossary of Commonly Used 3DS Hacking Terms? I don't have the link on me but you can probably find it with the search bar really quickly.

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really appreciate the newb-friendliness. Things should be under control from here on.

When you back up that folder, it's the theme data that contains the exploit. That's why menuhax breaks if you change the theme by normal means.
Ahh, THAT makes sense! Somewhere along the way, I read that Menuhax uses an exploit in theme data, but it didn't sink in.

And thanks for the offer, but I was only wondering if a glossary already existed. Guess I should have seached. :ha:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1