A couple basic questions about the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by ioukta, Jan 4, 2012.

Jan 4, 2012
  1. ioukta
    OP

Member ioukta GBAtemp Regular

France
    Hello tempers, how are yall?
    With xmas and all here in France (and probably other countries too) there are some great prices on Wii consoles, so i'm considering it ...
    but before that i have a few questions :

1st, what's the difference between these 2? they look really different don't they, google wasn't able to tell me what it was ...
    [​IMG]and this one [​IMG]
    i mean they really look different no? the black came out in novembre 2011 and the white in may. I should take the newest one right? is it just aphysical difference? or is the inside different too?

2nd question I'm buying it in France, but will move to the US, will it work there if i just change the cables?

3rd question are the games zoned? if so, is there a way to make them work without compeltely hacking the wii?

If anyone is willing to help i'd really appreciate it !!

i want it so bad lol i'm browsing sites for games, that's me being serious about it lol

thank you so much

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The new model has no normal gamecube compatibility. They removed the ports and the drive doesn't play the discs.

3. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    1. New one lacks GC support and doesnt come with a vertical stand.
    2. yes
    3. the wii is region "locked", yes, but with softmod you can make the wii region free and play games of every region (ntsc-u, ntsc-j, pal). Some US TVs cant display PAL though.

4. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    1 - Black has no gamecube mode.

2 -Yes, you might need a power adapter though.

3 - They are region locked, but you can get around this with soft mods like gecko.

Edit - As noted, fixed my white/black mix up.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's the black that has no GC mode.

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    • The black Wii has no backwards compatibility at all. I heard it's slightly cheaper than the White one. The white displayed has BC with Gamecube titles and peripherals.
    • It will work (but may not display on the TV since France uses PAL and USA uses NTSC). Note though, I do not know if the Wii supports 50/60 Hz electrical frequency but chances are if it only supports 50 Hz (as in France), it will not function very well or might even break down faster if you bring it to the US due to frequency differences. Also, you might be better off buying straight from USA since it's (probably) cheaper and does have warranty coverage.
    • The Wii, officially, is region locked. But you can bypass it. I personally don't have a Wii but I'm very sure it's a softmod.

7. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    If you're going to move, better to buy it in the US. Then you won't have to deal with the headaches of video conversion (PAL to NTSC) and voltage conversion (220V to 110V) and game region issues if you're not going to mod it.

8. ioukta
    OP

Member ioukta GBAtemp Regular

France
    Thank you SO MUCH guys !!
    now i understand !

so this all sounds good, i feel i'm getting closer by the minute to be getting one.
    Say you all have one? you like it? the games coming out on it still look great?

And what's this internet business? that you can play games downloaded on the internet? how does it get the internet? is there a special cable? or is it wifi?
    dezoning it will it keep me from having my wii connect to the internet?

PS i don't know when im moving might be a year, i can't go a year without it now that i've had the idea and means of getting one lool

9. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    The Wii is nearly at its death. Not many new games will come. Theres only 2 I look forward to - Last Story and Pandoras Tower (both are already available in jap).
    There are plenty of good games available though, so you will have hours and hours of fun ahead of you :)

The Wii is using wifi. Location doesnt matter. Only the shop channel can give you some issues when you switch region, but this - like everything else - can be fixed through softmods.
    You can play backup games online, the Wii has no check against backups while online.