A+ Certificate

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Westside, May 20, 2007.

1. Westside
    OP

Westside Sogdiana

Dec 18, 2004
    Uzbekistan
    Guantanamo bay
    Is there an easy way to get one of these at a college near Toronto? I saw the price, it was $2900 something, is it the right price? Anyone know where to get one? Are college ones better, or online ones are ok too?

2. ctunightfall

ctunightfall Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2006
    United States
    depends on how motivated you are. i went throught the classes but i know others that didn't. teacher guidance is good if you get a good teacher, but if you learn better on your own, you can save your money. the tests ain't cheap though, i think your close on that price projection there. the certification is valid for life though so it'll probably be a good skill to get.

3. booshaka

booshaka Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2005
    United States
    Are you talking about the compTIA certifications? I have my A+ and Network+ certification which I got back in 2001. I'm sure they've changed the test but all I did to pass them was to memorize questions and answers. I used practice exams and brain dumps. I really dont think you need to take a class for this cert, online material is probably your best bet.

4. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    If you have a respectable level of computer experience in building and maintaining machines, you could pass it just by taking the test. I bought vouchers about a year ago and it cost me $180 total. I think the price is about ~300 now.

5. DaveHimself

DaveHimself Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2006
    Canada
    Nova Scotia
    This is very true. I just finished college a few weeks ago and am currently waiting for graduation next month. Here in Halifax the test is around $200, we could get the vouchers through the college (with a 50% discount) and they came to be a little over $100. I took a certified equivalent practice-exam for one of my courses and was not overly hard. Grab an A+ cert book and give that a read. Covered all the materials that I needed to know, but be sure to get a recent one as they just revamped the test due to vista and getting rid of some older windows questions.

Edit: covering compTIA certs in general.

6. strummer12

strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2007
    Canada
    The test is baby easy. You get like 30 hardware and 30 software multiple choice questions and you do it on a computer. I finished the test in like 15 minutes.

They have sites with practice tests that really prep you up. If you do those, you will pass the test no problem. A lot of the questions are exactly the same as on the test. I think I got 1 or 2 wrong, I can't remember, but it was for the software part. Hardware, I aced.