A brief rundown of clones - catered to n00bs

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Evo.lve, Jul 3, 2011.

Jul 3, 2011
  1. Evo.lve
    OP

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Dedicated to Rydian. You'll be missed, man.

Introduction
    The original R4 was one of, if not the most popular flashcart known to man. Its introduction heralded the beginning of "2nd Generation" flashcarts - carts that were truly "drag 'n' drop", that fitted flush in slot-1, that didn't need a PassMe or anything of the like, and that used a microSD cart. Its insane popularity has meant that countless carts have used the R4 name to boost sales.[/p]

1. So what is a "clone"?
    A "clone" is a copy without permission (if they purchased the design, it's not a clone). Most carts with the name R4 in them are clones of the original R4 or the DSTT.
    A "fake" is something that claims to be something it's not - it uses the name R4 when it clearly, is not an R4
    (thanks to The Pi for clearing that up)[/p]

2. What's so bad about a clone? Why shouldn't I buy one?
    An R4 clone is not made by the R4 team. The only cart ever made by the REAL R4 team is called the "R4 Revolution for DS" and has the website r4ds.cn on the box. It also does not support SDHC (SD cards over 2GB in side). It does NOT support the DSi(XL/LL) or the 3DS. In general, clones do not receive regular updates, if at all (there are a few exceptions to this rule - see appendix I) and are generally made for a quick buck by people who either have no intention to update it, or don't know how to in the first place. [/p]

3. How to spot a clone
    The name
    R4 Clones will have names like "R4 Upgrade", "R4 Ultra", "R4 III", "R4i", "R4 Platinum", etc. These carts (and anything not called the "R4 Revolution for DS") are FAKE.

The firmware
    This is not really a good method of telling whether or not a cart is a clone or not (common sense prevails over all), but it works on most clones. The final firmware released by the original R4 team was 1.18, which was released on the 24th of April, 2008. Any cart which states that it has "1.25 version firmware", say, is a clone.

Its compatibility with DS consoles
    As with the above this is not the best method of determining the status of an R4, but it (generally) works nonetheless. As mentioned in section 2, the original R4 does not support the DSi(XL/LL) or the 3DS. Anything which claims DSi or 3DS support is instantly a clone and should not even be considered (once again - exceptions are made, see appendix I)

SDHC support
    A microSDHC card is any microSD with a capacity above 2GB (well technically there are 4GB mSDs but they're expensive and rare). Like the two before it this probably isn't the way most people would spot a clone but regardless, it works. Anything which has a SDHC logo on it, or claims to support SDHC is instantly a clone and should not be considered. (exceptions still exist - see appendix I)

Website URL
    The main way to spot a clone - if the url isn't r4ds.cn it's a clone - and once again it shouldn't be considered (once again, some exceptions apply - see appendix I)[/p]

4. I was unlucky enough to get a clone. What can I do?

To maximise your gaming compatibility the best you can do is use YSMenu, though even that doesn't work on all clones. Some clones (see appendix II) can run Wood (officially - unofficial ports of Wood generally well, suck). If you got a cart which is software-locked, i.e. you can't run anything on it, you'll have no other option. YSMenu works on all DSTT based carts. If you want to figure out what your cart is a clone of/based on, check my Mega List of R4 Clones.[/p]

5. What happens if I use Wood on my clone?

Wood only works on certain carts (see appendix II). 99.99% of carts with "R4" in their names do not support the Wood software. If you seriously wish to check, then if it works, then it'll well, uh, work. If it doesn't, an image of a microSD card with the word MENU? (or maybe it's ?MENU) and a frowny face will show up (or maybe that's for YSMenu - I haven't actually had an R4 clone for a long, long, time so if anyone cares to clear that up, feel free).[/p]

Appendix I

Exceptions to the Rules
    Original R4 (be it the real thing or a 1:1 clone)
    R4iDSN (www.r4ids.cn www.r4idsn.com) [/p]

Appendix II

Carts that can run Wood R4
    Original R4 (be it the real thing or a 1:1 clone)
    R4iDSN (www.r4ids.cn www.r4idsn.com)[/p]

2. tranfeer

Member tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    A very good guide.
    Thank you Evo.lve

3. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
  4. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Edit: Wait misread the post
    Double edit: You can't link to the r4ids.cn anymore due to the fact that they have a rom site linked on their page.

5. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    That worked fine. I mean the original R4 site.

6. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    I know, that's what I meant when I said misread.
    But I am serious about the other site. It's not allowed since it links to a indirectly links to a rom site
    See

7. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    That's news to me.

Interesting.

8. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    It just came up recently in some of the latest threads and really hasn't been brought up to much attention yet other than in that thread.

9. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    About how you define clone and fake.

A clone is a copy without permission (if they purchased the design, it's not a clone)

A fake, for example a dstt with R4 printed on it (claims to be something it's not)

Carts can be a fake OR a clone OR both

For example the r4ids.cn is a fake R4 (it's really an Acekard) but since they paid Acekard for the design it's not a clone.

How you defined them isn't that bad, just a bit "off".

10. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Thanks for making this guide Evo.lve, it will really help the n00bs.

11. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I had some of my friends read this FAQ over with me... Found some stuff that could be clarified and/or fixed.

1) You said "R4 Revolution" when, in fact, it's "R4 Revolution for DS". When one of my friends read that part, he asked if my R4 was fake because it was "Revolution for DS" instead of just "Revolution".
    2) One of my friends had to ask me what SDHC was. Another commented that my R4 uses SDHC (they thought anything over 1GB was SDHC) so I shouldn't be able to use Wood R4. You should probably add a note in there that Micro SD cards that hold over 2GB are SDHC.
    3) One of my friends asked me what would happen if someone tried to use Wood on their flash card that wasn't compatible with Wood. They are now requesting that you add a section in there that explains what happens when your card isn't compatible with Wood and you attempt to use it.
    4) One of my friends almost bought an R4 clone because it boasted support for GBA ROMs without the use of slot-2 cards or emulators. You should probably add in something about the usage of GBA ROMs.
    5) The friend who gave me the R4 I use now says the packaging that the thing came in wasn't a box, and the site given wasn't R4DS.cn, but the firmware given on the site WAS the official 1.18 kernal and it worked. I would think that any R4 that has the 1.18 firmware listed on the website for it would be at least a 1:1 clone, so...

12. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    Sounds good to all. Regarding #5, there are clone carts which have firmwares such as 1.16, 1.17, 1.18 etc. That doesn't mean that they're real, so it's not really that good a way of telling.

13. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    since their website has links to roms, shouldn't you remove them in Appendix I & II?

14. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    I can't seem to find them at all -.-

I'll remove them nonetheless.

15. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    it's in the download page, it's bright yellow with mario in it

16. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    oh lol.

17. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    PLEASE don't tell me you signed up to make that post.

18. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    Good news everyone!
    It appears they have taken down the rom link on -snip-!

Bad News Everyone!
    They just moved the link and hid it better!

19. Evo.lve
    OP

Australia
    Lmfao, so they DO pay attention to us.

20. tranfeer

Member tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Evo.lve:
    Would you please add the link and r4i gold(r4ids.cn) to your brief rundown?
    The rom links have been removed.