Gaming A bit confused

gaehentohn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been considering buying a PSP lately. I'm looking at hacking it, mainly to be able to have all my classic PSX games on a portable hand-held.
Any way, I've been on quite a few PSP forums and have been thoroughly bamboozled as to the possibility of hacking a newly bought PSP300X and how one would go about it. I hope you kind people could answer some of my questions.

A new PSP comes with 5.05 firmware out of the box, correct? I've heard there is no way to downgrade to 5.03 as of yet, but I've I've been told that the 'Custom Firmware Enabler' (I think it was) can be insalled/run on a PSP 300X with 5.05 firmware. Is this true? According to Davee's DevSite (http://davee.x-fusion.co.uk/), V3 of ChickHEN works on 5.05, unless I misread it, so at least that part would work.

Also, according to Davee's DevSite, ChickHEN will brick a PSP if it touches the flash, how then does the Custom Firmware Enabler work if a brick will occur if the PSP is flashed to?

Thanks a lot,
SpiralArms.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
ChickHen R3? Maybe i need my eyes tested but as yet anything above 5.03 is yet to be exploited.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Depending on how "new" a PSP actually is, it will come with 5.02, 5.03, or 5.50. 5.05 was a limited Japan release to go with a single game, new PSPs have not been coming with it to my knowledge.

gaehentohn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm.
When I buy it, if it's 5.03, great, but if not, I'll just have to wait for 5.50 to be hacked.

Thanks alot for your help.
SpiralArms

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
SpiralArms said:
Hmm.
When I buy it, if it's 5.03, great, but if not, I'll just have to wait for 5.50 to be hacked.

Thanks alot for your help.
SpiralArms
Just bear in mind that you may be waiting a while. It took several months to come up with the 5.03 ChickHEN hack, including a few months after finding the attack vector but before a workable hack could be formulated for it. Hacks of this nature are extremely rare, and there's no guarantee there will be another.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
on davee's dev site, the only thing mentioned as being compatible with 5.05 is a version spoofer plugin. which i dont really understand, seeing as there's no way to run plugins on 5.05.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: