a better way than relaunching haxchi for HBL?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by ponyboyt, Aug 4, 2018.

1. ponyboyt
    OP

ponyboyt Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2018
    Canada
    When i add controllers in HID to VPAD it takes me back to home screen, then to launch some games i need to run mocha first. i have a worse than 50% fail rate relaunching haxchi to run mocha (freezes/crashes). I thought haxchi applied patches so i didnt need mocha? Can i just hold A launching haxchi to skip haxchi running patches a 2nd time?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Haxchi has a built-in cfw, yes (loaded by associating a button (or default) to "= sysmenu" then using that option) which yes, would conflict with other CFWs if used simultaneously

In general you should run CFW first, then persistent homebrews/plugins (the least the better), then the application (game)

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Maybe you didn't understand what haxchi channel is doing.
    the channel contains two different things :

- a elf launcher : this is not haxchi cfw, it's only a launcher, usually set to launch Homebrew_launcher.elf file. It does NOT patch the firmware's signature. Though, it might patch few other things, and re-doing it can freeze your console. *
    - a CFW patcher : this is haxchi patches, you don't need mocha !

To set which one is launched, you have to use the config.txt file where you define button to be pressed.
    default=/path/to/elf file, or sysmenu : is launched when you launch the haxchi channel without keeping any button pressed.
    b=/path/to/elf file, or sysmenu : is launched when you launch the haxchi channel and keep button B pressed.

You should first patch your firmware by pressing (or not pressing) the corresponding button to launch "sysmenu", it will apply the patches to the firmware and you don't need Mocha.
    Then you can re-launch the haxchi channel, this time using the corresponding button to launch "homebrew_launcher.elf" when you want to launch a homebrew.

patching the console to allow launching of elf file (not cfw) can result in a freeze if you try to re-run this patch.
    it was the same when using the browser exploit.
    to prevent re-patching the memory and freeze the console, the browser exploit did that :
    - patch the memory to allow .elf launching
    - patch the MiiMaker channel to put the homebrew_launcher.elf inside, before the real MiiMaker program.
    - Launch MiiMaker channel (which actually launchs the first program : HBL !)

if you want to re-launch the homebrew launcher, you have to launch MiiMaker ! it will launch only the elf, without re-patching the firmware.

I don't remember if Mocha channel is doing it the same way. if it's not working (launching miimaker), then you have another solution : install the homebrew launcher channel.
    you'll need CFW first to launch it.

Mocha channel -> default=sysmenu. That's the only time you need to launch haxchi channel.
    then, use the hbl channel to launch all your homebrew, not haxchi channel anymore.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 9, 2018