A beta of Rare’s Dinosaur Planet for N64 has been dumped

B783EF3C-0BAA-4E05-A53E-AA22B3591319.jpeg

Forest of Illusion is on a roll, when it comes to uncovering gaming history. Their latest find is a copy of Dinosaur Planet for the Nintendo 64–a game that never saw an official release, as the project was moved to the Nintendo GameCube and eventually came to be known as Star Fox Adventures. They’ve dumped the game where it can be now be found online, preserving it forever. This build of Dinosaur Planet is dated December 1, 2000 and is playable, though the ending levels are reportedly unfinished and potentially unable to be completed without the use of cheats. According to Forest of Illusion, emulator compatibility with the game is spotty, leading to multiple instances of slowdown and graphical glitches, however it works fine on official hardware through flashcart use.

As a reminder, sharing links to ROMs is against the rules.

:arrow: Forest of Illusion official Twitter account

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly the game crashes for me on Mupen64Plus-Next in Retroarch on Switch. In the cutscene with the stone golem right after using the first warp.

In terms of graphics it looks fine in m4xw's build of Mupen. No broken/missing textures. The crash is ingame and shows a crash screen, it is not the emulator that crashes.

Ah well, after all the waiting I can wait just a little longer until someone fixes it. I can't believe that I'm actually playing this, the music, the graphics, everything here is pure childhood nostalgia, like being back in the N64 days.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Just saw some gameplay footage from the leaked rom... Really impressive for a N64 game, could almost pass a very early gamecube title!

Looks really far into the making, too, but seeing it then being entirely remade for the gamecube was definitely the best move, however.
That was beneficial on the long run.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhh id like to try this, is linking to a game that never got released considered as piracy?

(not that i am asking for a link)

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didn't see many people talk about that, but this game is simply gorgeous for the Nintendo 64 standard, the gameplay is very well done and the graphics are exceptional for the platform, RARE really managed to push the console to the limit here, maybe even more than they did with Conker and Jet Set Gemini.

It is a pity that RARE did not follow its original idea, this game could have become the game that would close the Nintendo 64 cycle with a golden key (similar to Majora Mask and Conker Bad Fur Day), it could have become an excellent classic, but in the end it just became a average Star Fox game for the Game Cube that nobody cares about.

PS: Star Fox Adventures is a good game, it just isn't a good Star Fox game.

Last edited by Moon164,

duidovwud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly the game crashes for me on Mupen64Plus-Next in Retroarch on Switch. In the cutscene with the stone golem right after using the first warp.

In terms of graphics it looks fine in m4xw's build of Mupen. No broken/missing textures. The crash is ingame and shows a crash screen, it is not the emulator that crashes.

Ah well, after all the waiting I can wait just a little longer until someone fixes it. I can't believe that I'm actually playing this, the music, the graphics, everything here is pure childhood nostalgia, like being back in the N64 days.
I had the same thing happen to me on switch but I tried it on sixtyforce and it’s running perfectly so far.

Reactions: Reynardine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: