A 360 in my future?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mthrnite, Apr 23, 2007.

Apr 23, 2007

A 360 in my future? by mthrnite at 4:09 PM (2,848 Views / 0 Likes) 40 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I went over to my cousin's house last night and played Xbox 360 for the first time. He's got a projector set up that covers about 120 inches cast on a wall in his "play room". He walked me through all the Xbox menus and played an online game of Rainbow Six (awesome.) Then he broke out Guitar Hero II and we played that for about an hour... god that game is FUN!
    I've been assuming my next console would be a Wii, but jeez that 360 is cool. Obviously it'll take me longer to save up for the Xbox, but it seems to do so very much more than the Wii. He made a point which I thought was a good one:

"If you have a DS, you have the Nintendo experience right there. You don't need a Wii. Buy an Xbox."

Now, I've yet to actually play a Wii. So I'm wondering what you people who have both would recommend.

2. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Im lookin to by a 360 in the next couple of months. I have a wii to but the fact that 360 has an amazing online system makes it the reason to buy for me. Nearly every game is online and the community is just great. Buy a 360 instead of a wii, you'll get many more hours out of it.

3. Suranwrap

Newcomer Suranwrap Member

Canada
    I have both, I play my 360 way more then my Wii.
    When my girlfriend and all their friends come over i play the wii a lot more. If you just want to play games by yourself, get a 360, if you want a party system get a wii.

4. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I own both. The 360 can be easily modified with a hacked firmware flash to the drive. This does involve opening the 360 up though. The 360 is great in HD and does have a few good games. But for originality and something different I prefer the Wii.

5. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    How bout 360 AND a Wii? Or just screw it all and buy a PS3 for the new Kingdom Hearts. Yeah buddy!

But really, Wii is still up-and-coming, 360 is already established a bit. Get a 360 now and start saving for a Wii for when SM Galaxy comes out. [​IMG] Thats my plan. Oh yeah, then the Hi-Def TV to replace this Freakin huge tube in my room.. >.>

6. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

United States
    I have to say get both, but if you play by yourself a lot get a 360. The online play makes you feel like you have tons of people to play with.

7. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    The online stuff was indeed awesome. My cousin had a troop of friends online and immediately found some folks to play R6 with. He had his own face mapped to his character and had a headset to talk live with the other participants, when he was talking to everybody, you could see their freakin' lips moving... it was just unreal. Well, the 120" screen probably had a lot to do with the massive amount of immersion, that's why I'm asking.. I was pretty well dazzled by the whole experience, and I've got a little bitty 26" screen at home.

8. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Too much love for the 360...so tempting [​IMG]

9. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    Also you can get a VGA cable for the 360 so if you dont have a HD tv you can hook your 360 up to your monitor and it comes out in high def!

10. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    If you want to play it with your kids, get the Wii. If you want "serious gaming", get the X360.

Yeah, I'm not making this any easier.

So you would need a Wii, and two extra Wiimotes, and extra Nunchucks. That's $370. On the other hand, that can buy you an X360.

...I'm not helping out, am I?

11. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Well, the kids aren't old enough in my opinion to hook them up on videogames yet. We do play occasionally, but really the kids won't factor in until a few years from now. So this is for me alone.

..and I do have a HD ready screen, albeit a small one (26" wide.)

..as far as hacking on the Xbox goes... yes definitely, that's one of the potential draws for me.. I love messin' with my systems, but I wouldn't want to do anything to mess up Xbox Live.

..also, I'm really really itching to play Halo and Half-Life 2... We didn't get around to Gears of War last night, but from what people on this board say, it's teh awesome.

12. adgloride

United Kingdom
    At the moment you can still use an xbox 360 with an hacked drive on xbox live. An update is due on 7th May so they may try stopping us by banning us from live. The drive hacks have been out over 12 months now and microsoft haven't stopped it. Maybe they can't.

13. lagman

Mexico
    Is there any media player for the 360?
    I haven´t seen any...and XBMC was perfect.. it would be a shame not to have something similar.

14. jaxxster

United Kingdom
    Thats another thing im worried about that playing backups online will ruin my live acct. Im gunna try the 1 month free and if i dont get banned then i''ll subscribe to a yearly gold membership. My m8s have 360's and theres nothing better than having 3 consoles, 3 tvs in a room and to hook up to live at play 12 player halo or whatever online. I cant really see myself playing the wii much after i get a 360.

Plus, Xbox Live Arcade.....Lumines!! What more could you ask for [​IMG]

15. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    That's just because the Wii was released recently and they haven't released many good games for it yet.
    You could get a xbox, then buy a Wii when there comes some good games (SSBB, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.)

16. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    A basic 360 doesnt cost that much more than a Wii, well over here it doesnt. Last time I saw it was £190, the Wii is £179. Theres lots of cheap pre owned games so you wont need to spend that much, unless you get it modded. I play 360 more than Wii, but then I play DS more than any.

17. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The X360 is in for a lot of new games, with all the (former) PS3 exclusives looking for a new home. Get it now, get a Wii later.

18. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    By "hacking" I'm not really talking about doing backups. Mainly, I want to play MAME and experiment with Linux and stuff. When I put a hard drive into my PS2 and did the "exploit" it was all about running games much faster off the hard drive, but I assume the Xbox allows you to load games on the hard drive, at least partially by default, no? Also I had a friend that had the original Xbox and he had some "interesting" Dead or Alive patches that he applied to "relieve the players of the burden of cumbersome dress" and other really neat image mapping stuff. That's more what I'm talking about, community developed projects that aren't condoned by Microsoft.

19. adgloride

United Kingdom
    The 360 has a very basic player, a little too basic for me. At the moment you can stream .WMV files and HD WMV files. With the new update coming you can also stream H264 (Something the xbox processor isn't powerful enough to handle). I think they are also making the player better with the update. If you want to play xvid and divx its better sticking to XBMC on the xbox.

mthrnite: By xbox I assume you mean xbox 360. The only hack for it is the drive hack which allows you to play copied games. A proper mod chip and illegal bios would have to run before you can play the mame emulators and other stuff. If you have the old kernal you are meant to be able to play a limited amount of stuff, but with the new kernal it won't run homebrew. As for the bigger harddrive, microsoft are coming out with a 120gb one. You can buy your own 120gb WD drive and hack it so it work on the xbox 360, make sure you get the right model though.

20. lagman

Mexico
    That´s what I was concerned about, what a shame

I guess the answer to mthr´s question is the same [​IMG]