A 24K gold Nintendo Wii that was originally designed for Queen Elizabeth gets put up for sale

edweew.png

There have been some rather odd crossovers and promotional stunts done by gaming companies over the years. One such instance took place in 2009, when THQ--who would promptly go bankrupt not too long after this--decided to create a Nintendo Wii specifically designed for the Queen of England; a 24 Karat gold system fit for royalty. While it was supposed to be given to Queen Elizabeth, Buckingham Palace rejected the gift, and many years later, it ended up in the hands of Donny, a video game collector. Donny is now selling the golden Wii, as he's looking to buy a house, and if he can sell the system--which is listed at $300,000, he'll be able to easily afford a home.

According to the auction page, the system is on 3.2E firmware, and works just like a normal Nintendo Wii. Donny also claims that the golden Wii will be part of a documentary that has already been filmed, and will be announced sometime later in 2021. Whoever decides to buy this highly-priced collectable will get framed documents of authenticity, and of course, the package will be insured. You might even be getting a deal at "only" $300K; it was appraised to be possibly worth 1 million dollars by anonymous "top end industry people".

Fred: On Gamescom 2019 some top end gaming industry people (who we can unfortunately not make public here) said, that it may be worth 1 Million Dollars. Simply because no one can really put a price tag on it. It is world famous and one of a kind. What led you to the decision to choose 300.000$ as the price tag?

Donny: 1 million is of course the ultimate dream, but I must be a little bit reasonable. A good friend who works at Nintendo told me I should sell it for a price which is so high it would never find a buyer. He even advised me to start with 500.000$.

:arrow: Source

munnimann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The backside of the controller actually reveals the plastic underneath. I don't get the big deal about it then. If it were CNC mashined solid gold parts, maybe, but this is just a poor taste gold-plating job.

Reactions: chaossonic
D

Deleted User

This seems to be a case of something being worth more than the sum of its parts.

I doubt the Gold Plating is close to the USD 300K asking price, so I am curious as to what is bumping it up.
Article says it was planned to be given to the Royal Family; as the great Philosopher Mike Tyson once said, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

So how is this worth more than a regular Wii getting Gold-Plated.

The closest equivalence to USD 300K in Gold I could search is a 2013 CNN Article about a sunken Spanish Ship.
This Wii may be many things, but a sunken Spanish Ship it isn't.

Reactions: Aglaophotis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu