Gaming 999 theories on True Ending

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Before I start, be warned, a lot of huge spoilers will be revealed here, so if you haven't finished the game with the true ending (ending no.1), do not read this.

First of all, we learn that Zero is Akane, and that her motives were revenge and saving her. That's the strange part. If Zero is Akane in the past comunicating with Junpei, who is the Akane in the present ? Since Junpei haven't saved her yet, how can she be there ? Also, I think she is too young to imagine a plan like that, even with the help of his brother. By the way, how did Zero/Akane do to comunicate with her brother ? My theory is that morphogenic fields are not affected by time and reality. So every memory of every Junpei has been written in the morphogenic field. That would be represented by all the alternate endings in the game. That means that the Akane from the past know every possibilities, and used that knowledge to create a scenario in which Junpei was able to help her. But still, it doesn't explain how Akane from the future is still alive since Seven and Aoi(Santa, her brother) saw her die... Or maybe it was in a alternate reality, and then the Akane saved by Junpei is not the one in this reality... Anyway. If someone can explain me that part of the story
tongue.gif

And if I'm not wrong, the woman doing hitchhiking in the desert is Alice. Who did free her, and why ? I thought that the coffin was already empty when Ace discoverd it, even so, what does she do in the Nevada desert ? She was supposed to be in the Gigantic. And I will ignore the fact that I don't think that doing hitchhiking was a common thing in ancient egypt...

golden realm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you are very right,
I thought that was akane in the desert when I look at the feet but after the zooming out of the image
ohmy.gif

RaveFlyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously need to take notes the second time around when I play this game it's definitely a lot of information and even sometimes when they explained it, it wasn't quite clear the point they were trying to get across.

The present Akane is the Zero not the past Akane.

Technically the Present and the past is "happening" at the same time, so that when they are both in the incinerator they are able to connect etc. This will have you questioning...well how the hell is she alive when she dies in the past and that part is really simple.

It's a small inherent paradox that will make you ask more questions but in simple terms. Seven lied about her dying, but if he told Jumpei that she lived, he would have no reason to save her...which would in turn cause ZeroAkane to not exist. So telling him that she died before the incinerator room, caused him to connect to her in order to help her. Which happened in the past anyway! So they had to make sure that it happened in the present as well.

Communicating with her brother was easy. AkaneZero just talked to him, I already said that the present Akane is the Zero one. She told her brother that she got the information to open the door from Junpei, and that they had to create another game if they wanted to keep her from poofing out of existence. That's why he says he's an assistant, and why they always went through the same doors.

Alice I believe is just the writer's way of closing the story with an amazing WTF moment. Not only was her true coffin whereabouts kind of sketchy, but the fact that she's mentioned throughout the whole thing, only to not really be confirmed is more of a cliffhanger. Ace said she didn't exist because he found the coffin empty but who's to say that Alice wasn't already taken out or defrosted, he fount a plant but not her? What the hell does that have to do with anything. Just another thing to mull over, to be honest the Alice question is the one we probably will never get a straight answer to, not to mention she's sticking out her thumb like she's used to society or has been walking for a while but at the same time she's in her freaking Egyptian garb? I mean give me a break it's just full of holes and at the same time soooo hilarious. I wouldn't want it to end any other way.

Hope that clears it up! If you have any more questions or just want to discuss certain parts of the game, it's a good time to do it with the True Ending fresh in my mind.

golden realm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Killermech said:
Spoiler tags people, sheesh.
Code:
[spoiler]SPOILER TEXT[/spoiler]

Actually this tread is already have mega spoiler tag on it so no spoiler code is needed here

@Raveflyz
Doesn't there a huge door below the library that junpei doesn't even bothered with it?
There must be something in the room

RaveFlyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there is a huge metal door that has no use "apparently" under the first level of the
library
...I didn't look at the map of the ship or try to even figure out what it was, but in essence it could have been the "real" room that
Alice
was supposed to be in and not the
dinky little lab behind the door you actually go through.
Which leads me to believe that
Zero
moved the
coffin
behind the roll up metal door so that you would be able to solve the
morse code puzzle
, and that the original place for the
coffin
was somewhere else. Going all the way back to what
Ace
said...saying that he found the
coffin
in the same place you did, but empty kind of suggests that
Alice
was moved out of the
coffin
long before anyone happened to chance upon it. But who really knows...for all the information you get on
Alice
it's still the most confusing and hard to figure out part of the story especially with the ending.

Enough Spoiler tags for you?

tombot

Trophies
Website
www.wix.com
XP
Country
United States
I want to know what she's doing in Nevada instead of being on the Gigantic.

So If I'm correct, the way Junpei and Akane were able to connect from past to present was subtly linked to the explanation of the Titanic and the writing of Futility. Ponder that.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
tombot said:
I want to know what she's doing in Nevada instead of being on the Gigantic.

So If I'm correct, the way Junpei and Akane were able to connect from past to present was subtly linked to the explanation of the Titanic and the writing of Futility. Ponder that.

Yeah partly. The complete explanation is given by Sheldrake's theory on morphogenetic fields. To summarize, it says that there are invisible fields that rules how things develop (by example, protein have 2 forms, the right one and the left one. However, only one form is produced naturally). These fields operate instantaneously across space and time with no restriction. It theorically means that if a morphogenetic field is altered, it will be done without distinction of time and space. In the game they try to access to the informations in these morphogenetic fields. So it means that if Akane modifies the field in the past, the change will also be done in present and future, and if Junpei alters the field in the present, the change will be noticeable in the past. If we admit that our thoughts are ruled by a morphogenetic field, having the power "to write" into them or "to read" them(that's what Sheldrake calls "morphic resonance") would be something close to telepathy, with the exeption that it would be possible to do it across time (not necessarly instantaneous).

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Zero is not Akane. We learn that from preview B. Which says
"Unfortunately, that's the wrong answer. Actually...I'm Santa"

Also, there would be no Zero if little Kanny died. Of course, there's the chance of the time something.
Kanny was saved in the past --->Kanny exists in the future so that Kanny is saved in the past.

But I don't think this game would come up with that, what was confirmed with preview B.

We were made think Akane was Zero because of that if the guys knew Santa was Zero, they wouldn't react...nicely.

Of course, that's what I think, and what in my opinion, is clear enough from Preview B.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually I think it's pretty likely Akane is Zero.
The game has quite the time paradox going on.

Basically, Akane DOES exist in the present/future, because she never dies. She never dies because Junpei from the future helped her solve the puzzle (or, 'puzzles' I suppose, since the bottom screen in in fact, 9 years in the past in most cases), so she plays as Zero and with Santa's help, sets up the Nonary game so Junpei can do the game and help save her 9 years previously.

Though trying to justify Snake's and Seven's memories of finding her dead in the incinerator has my mind boggled.

But, I still think they should have gone with a sweeter ending, instead of a LOLworthy ending. It was hilarious to see Alice hitchhiking in the desert, but I would have much rather saw Junpei see Akane alive.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Ramonra said:
Zero is not Akane. We learn that from preview B. Which says
"Unfortunately, that's the wrong answer. Actually...I'm Santa"

Also, there would be no Zero if little Kanny died. Of course, there's the chance of the time something.
Kanny was saved in the past --->Kanny exists in the future so that Kanny is saved in the past.

But I don't think this game would come up with that, what was confirmed with preview B.

We were made think Akane was Zero because of that if the guys knew Santa was Zero, they wouldn't react...nicely.

Of course, that's what I think, and what in my opinion, is clear enough from Preview B.

That quote is from ending 4, when Junpei discovers Ace's sickness (prosopagnosia) and tries to dupe him.

QUOTEBasically, Akane DOES exist in the present/future, because she never dies. She never dies because Junpei from the future helped her solve the puzzle (or, 'puzzles' I suppose, since the bottom screen is in fact, 9 years in the past in most cases)

I think the solved puzzles are really in the present, because like said Santa, Akane was a "writer", not a "reader". The only moment she used the morphic resonance at his full potential was for last puzzle, in very specific conditions. But others puzzles was solved unconsciously with Akane's help by accessing to the morphogenetic fields. Also, if I remember (tell me if I'm wrong), in ending 4, or 1, Akane/Zero says that she "visited" every possibilities and with the information she got, she "created" this one. To unlock ending no.1 you must finish ending no.4, which means that in a different life/timeline/reality, Junpei found the code for the coffin, which altered the morphogenetic field. If you try to unlock true ending before ending no.4, you won't be able to open the coffin and the game ends here with the message "To Be Continued...".

And if you notice, during all the game, the story is narrated by an external narrator and in true ending, the narrator changes to "I", meaning that he's Zero. So we can say that upper screen is what Junpei sees, and lower is Akane/Zero's thoughts and observations. Just like if we were playing as Zero/Akane. And if this affirmation is correct, we could say that most of Junpei's choices are affected by Zero/Akane.

IsisFire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait, i dont get it... why did the present Akane disappear? If Junpei saved the past Akane, then the present Akane should be fine..... right?

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ritsuki said:
And if you notice, during all the game, the story is narrated by an external narrator and in true ending, the narrator changes to "I", meaning that he's Zero. So we can say that upper screen is what Junpei sees, and lower is Akane/Zero's thoughts and observations. Just like if we were playing as Zero/Akane. And if this affirmation is correct, we could say that most of Junpei's choices are affected by Zero/Akane.

The history was always narrated by little Kanny, and the puzzles were solved by her too. Except the sudoku one, solved by Junpei, which is why the screens were flipped when solving it.

QUOTE(IsisFire @ Jan 5 2011, 12:23 AM) wait, i dont get it... why did the present Akane disappear? If Junpei saved the past Akane, then the present Akane should be fine..... right?
Present Kanny didn't disappear. I remember reading on GameFAQs that the creators said that she just walked out of the incinerator; and it is even remarked by (IIRC) Clover that Kanny and Santa were just up ahead of them.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ramonra said:
ShadowSoldier said:
There's no reason to revive this thread when the other one is still alive and active:

http://gbatemp.net/t265145-999-9-hours-9-persons-9-doors

Not the same thing. This one is just for people who have finished the game and feel like sharing theories
Not the same thing? YES IT IS?! In that thread we've been discussing theories and crap the entire time, even the true ending. It's the exact same thing.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
ShadowSoldier said:
Ramonra said:
ShadowSoldier said:
There's no reason to revive this thread when the other one is still alive and active:

http://gbatemp.net/t265145-999-9-hours-9-persons-9-doors

Not the same thing. This one is just for people who have finished the game and feel like sharing theories
Not the same thing? YES IT IS?! In that thread we've been discussing theories and crap the entire time, even the true ending. It's the exact same thing.

Not supposed to happen. The idea of this thread was to keep the spoilers away from those who didn't play it.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which is what's going on in that thread? If you say something like "yeah but people post spoilers in there"

What's stopping me from posting that Snake doesn't die? Or something bigger...

magicksun

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
im playing the game , and i don't finish yet , and the spoilers say nothing becouse ones say one thing and other say other thing so i don't understand who is zero , i have one ending , and i thnk than all the characters are misterious!

MarcoSnow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This discussion board really helped me get the most of the game's ending in terms of complete comprehension.

[spoilers] For instance, I hadn't picked up on the Akane/Zero paradox and Seven's complicity in the scheme by omitting the fact that Akane survived. [/spoilers]

I just felt like giving back to the discussion board by providing a link to an interesting Q&A session with the game's author which, among other things, reveals the tantalizing possibility of a sequel. Be warned, this link is filled with spoilers. If you haven't gotten the true ending, then steer clear:

999: Answers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.