Hardware 9600GT hits newegg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I have still yet to see a compelling reason to drop my old 7900GS cards.

Still the 8800GS is proven tech and the 9XXX series will probably get about 9 upgrades and some decent cards made before it becomes worthwhile.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good review:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/01/14/n...e-9600gt-review

1205247_080113_9600GT_3Dmark06_thumb.jpg

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only just got my 8600GT about a year ago. I usually only buy a new card every other generation though anyway.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the 8800 GT is still the winner. My 7800 GTX is still doing well, I'll hold off til more DX10 games come out and maybe look into a 9800 GTwhatever.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they need to just make the high end stuff affordable then there will be something to talk about. $500+ for a video card is just stupid in a word.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/21/nvi..._gt/page13.html

I do remember a time when my friend actually bought a Gefore 7800 for $700USD when it first came out.

I wasn't too excited about the 7000 series cards, so I skipped it. I also skipped the geforce2 series because the prices vs performance just didn't make sense to me. I was going to get a geforce2 gts at one time, glad I skipped it and got the ti4600 which also was a waste of money but lasted me a while. I have a 6600gt which is still decent (since it is just in a northwood) but now I have a laptop with a 8600m gt and it plays crysis fine but I know I'm not running any super computer with it. Come to think of it, I also skipped the geforce3 series.

If I was going to upgrade right now, I'd probably go with the intel core2duo E8400 and yeah I'd probably go with a lower end video card to save money such as an 8600gt because I like the performance of the mobile chip fine. But realistically for speed I'd want that 8800gtx but now that the 9 series are coming around I'd just have to wait for what they probably will call a 9800gtx or something like that. It isn't confusing, but it is a waste of money.

Here's my reasoning to why this stuff is a waste of money: the best games to play right now are on consoles, not on PC. It is debatable yes, I know... but I don't play MMORPGs and I don't feel like beefing up a computer just to play some random FPS that is going to be ported to a console. I noticed that when they port it, yeah the graphics aren't as good but I mean come on how many houses do you need to display at one time. It is irrelevant versus the cost of owning a computer that is going to be outdated within a year. A good example of my opinion is, load up a copy of GRAW on PC and load it up on Xbox360. They look similar, the levels are all the same, but when you're in the helicopter on the PC there's obviously more buildings than on the Xbox360. Big deal. We're talking what $300 versus $2100 for a high end box.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'll probably gonna get it if I ever need to replace my monitor or if I actually see something worthwhile to play that actually uses the power.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to deal with this piece of crap ATI X200 for sometime on my laptop, I need to get something better...
frown.gif
I know your pain. Last laptop had that bastard child of ATI chipset. A BIOS update actually broke compatibility with XP, causing the video drivers to blue screen about 4 times an hour.

Had to switch to Vista for three months.

God I hated Vista on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    Gonna look into that when I get home
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep: