DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A 9 year old has brought an unloaded gun along with a knife and a small sledge hammer to school.
He told 3 friends that he had the weapons and the 3 snitched on him at the resource officer.

The boy's father said he was playing a character he learned from the video game Minecraft.

"They use hammers to dig and knives and guns to protect themselves from zombies," the boy's father said.

Personally, if the Father said he was playing to much COD I would've believed it.
But hammers to dig and knives and guns to protect oneself from Zombies?
Surely that's more COD then Minecraft to me.

Article here

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It does seem believable that he was intimating a character from a video game, but I am not going blame the video game for this problem. This is the parent's fault for buying him those kinds of games. The rating system is there for a reason and parents ignore them, then they see the content of the game their child is playing and they are either cool with it or pissed off at everyone because of it. This needs to stop.

Edit: My rant about bad parents still stands, but I just realized that he is was referring to Minecraft! No, this guy is covering his own ass by grabbing a random game the kid was playing and saying, "Hey don't look at me as a bad parent, look at this game right here, he learned it this!" I don't think I need to explain why everything is wrong about his argument!
I honestly have no idea where the kid learned it, but it seriously wasn't fucking Minecraft!

(my first rant I didn't read the article because I was pretty sure it was going to be about GTA5.)

Reactions: EZ-Megaman and Duo8

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Like people in Europe say.
Only in America.

But yes.
Parents buy kids COD and like wise games cause their friends also play it.
They know that it's nothing but violence and shooting.
Yet they still blame the game when something bad happens as kids want to reenact the protagonists.

Sometimes I really question those people.
Should they even be allowed to have kids?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
MINECRAFT CAUSES VIOLENCE. BAN VIDEO GAMES BAN VIDEO GAMES

EDIT: Also

CtrPZeQ.jpg

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even think the problem here was that he let his kid play Minecraft with an animated character who uses a gun to fight zombies.... I've played plenty of games growing up where people used guns, swords, and other weapons, but I had parents who parented. The big failure here is that the parent didn't do a few key things:

1. The parent had a gun accessible to the kid rather than having it locked up.
2. The parent clearly didn't discuss what a gun is, the dangers of a gun, why it is in the house, and the appropriate handling of it (i.e. not to be touched ever by the child.)
3. Didn't teach his kid the difference between reality and fantasy and what is okay to mimic, when, and how to mimic safely. (i.e a Halloween costume with fake gun, knife and hammer.)

This is a sad incident, but could have been worse. I think in these cases, where the kids get the guns from their own parents, it should be a situation where the parent's gun permits are suspended or revoked for demonstrating that they can not be responsible owners. Start holding the parents responsible. It's also sad that the kid is now getting a full on lesson of consequences for his actions and that his actions were inappropriate because his parents failed to teach him this growing up, but hopefully this process will give him a quick dose of right and wrong that he won't forget.

Reactions: shoyrumaster11

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only fault I see of the parent is of him having a gun in an unlocked drawer and for not noticing that his son had it, a steak knife, and a sledgehammer to school. If he's so small that his detention uniform engulfed him how in the world did the father miss all those things? Only possible thing I can see is a backpack but again a sledgehammer, steak knife, and gun?

Also I feel as though this isn't a whole "I blame video games!" thread. The son played minecraft where there are indeed all the items listed. (Sledgehammer=Pickaxe. Knife=Sword. Gun=Gun. There is indeed a well known gun mod in Minecraft. Where at night zombies do spawn.) We can't just dismiss news pertaining to video games affecting reality in a negative light. It's the same as if he read a book that had all that in it and the father said he was role playing as (insertbookcharacterhere).

Glad to hear all 3 of 3 children went to the resource officer.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So after reading the article, it just looks like a case of the dad trying to pass the buck on the last game the kid was playing instead of accepting responsibility.
I think this video sums up the problems in this article and pretty much all the problems in this country.

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't blame only the parents, blame the kid for not having any sense. Apparently he has Internet (only way to get minecraft, right?), he can google some videos on how to use common sense.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't expect a 9 year old to have common sense. If you're doing something like this, then your parents are obviously not doing a good job of parenting. Kids emulate things they see in real life, and until someone shows them that it's wrong, they'll continue to do it. A 7 year old will look up to a 13/14 year old because of the age difference; it's sort of an "I'm the boss" scenario. It's only when you're a teenager that you start rebelling in an attempt to discover yourself...
Don't blame only the parents, blame the kid for not having any sense. Apparently he has Internet (only way to get minecraft, right?), he can google some videos on how to use common sense.

There are videos on the internet on how to acquire and develop common sense? Why don't they just read Thomas Payne's book? Oh right: they're too busy on their smartphones.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Meh,the only way to have guns in MC is via Modded MC and I'm sure a 9 year kid won't know how to do it.
Also enchanted diamond stuff is more powerful than any modded gun in MC...

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even at 9 years old, the kid should have enough smarts not to use a gun and a knife as play things. Bad dad for not teaching smarts to his kid.

And as for the dad, I'm surprised the gun wasn't loaded or the bullets easily accessible, he was stupid enough to leave the weapon where his kid could have access to it. Maybe he should teach his kid about guns if he is going to leave them lying about. Looks like the dad has as many smarts as the kid.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to blame a game, why not blame a good one at least.
Uh, people tend to blame games that are known to depict the action in question. This instance is notable because, outside of third-party mods, Minecraft is medieval-based and has no guns (making the accusation almost laughable).

Reactions: Duo8 and matpower

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, people tend to blame games that are known to depict the action in question. This instance is notable because, outside of third-party mods, Minecraft is medieval-based and has no guns (making the accusation almost laughable).
That one went right over your head didnt it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche