9 year old brought gun to school, Father said he was playing Minecraft

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DinohScene, Sep 28, 2013.

1. DinohScene
    OP

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    A 9 year old has brought an unloaded gun along with a knife and a small sledge hammer to school.
    He told 3 friends that he had the weapons and the 3 snitched on him at the resource officer.

Personally, if the Father said he was playing to much COD I would've believed it.
    But hammers to dig and knives and guns to protect oneself from Zombies?
    Surely that's more COD then Minecraft to me.

Article here

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It does seem believable that he was intimating a character from a video game, but I am not going blame the video game for this problem. This is the parent's fault for buying him those kinds of games. The rating system is there for a reason and parents ignore them, then they see the content of the game their child is playing and they are either cool with it or pissed off at everyone because of it. This needs to stop.

Edit: My rant about bad parents still stands, but I just realized that he is was referring to Minecraft! No, this guy is covering his own ass by grabbing a random game the kid was playing and saying, "Hey don't look at me as a bad parent, look at this game right here, he learned it this!" I don't think I need to explain why everything is wrong about his argument!
    I honestly have no idea where the kid learned it, but it seriously wasn't fucking Minecraft!

(my first rant I didn't read the article because I was pretty sure it was going to be about GTA5.)

EZ-Megaman and Duo8 like this.
  3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I'm doubting if this guy actually plays minecraft after reading his quote

4. DinohScene
    OP

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Like people in Europe say.
    Only in America.

But yes.
    Parents buy kids COD and like wise games cause their friends also play it.
    They know that it's nothing but violence and shooting.
    Yet they still blame the game when something bad happens as kids want to reenact the protagonists.

Sometimes I really question those people.
    Should they even be allowed to have kids?

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    MINECRAFT CAUSES VIOLENCE. BAN VIDEO GAMES BAN VIDEO GAMES

EDIT: Also

Warning: Spoilers inside!

calmwaters and TackyPie like this.
  6. w!!

w!! GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2009
    United States
    I don't even think the problem here was that he let his kid play Minecraft with an animated character who uses a gun to fight zombies.... I've played plenty of games growing up where people used guns, swords, and other weapons, but I had parents who parented. The big failure here is that the parent didn't do a few key things:

1. The parent had a gun accessible to the kid rather than having it locked up.
    2. The parent clearly didn't discuss what a gun is, the dangers of a gun, why it is in the house, and the appropriate handling of it (i.e. not to be touched ever by the child.)
    3. Didn't teach his kid the difference between reality and fantasy and what is okay to mimic, when, and how to mimic safely. (i.e a Halloween costume with fake gun, knife and hammer.)

This is a sad incident, but could have been worse. I think in these cases, where the kids get the guns from their own parents, it should be a situation where the parent's gun permits are suspended or revoked for demonstrating that they can not be responsible owners. Start holding the parents responsible. It's also sad that the kid is now getting a full on lesson of consequences for his actions and that his actions were inappropriate because his parents failed to teach him this growing up, but hopefully this process will give him a quick dose of right and wrong that he won't forget.

shoyrumaster11 likes this.
  7. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Murica...
    In all seriousness, that's sad

8. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    The only fault I see of the parent is of him having a gun in an unlocked drawer and for not noticing that his son had it, a steak knife, and a sledgehammer to school. If he's so small that his detention uniform engulfed him how in the world did the father miss all those things? Only possible thing I can see is a backpack but again a sledgehammer, steak knife, and gun?

Also I feel as though this isn't a whole "I blame video games!" thread. The son played minecraft where there are indeed all the items listed. (Sledgehammer=Pickaxe. Knife=Sword. Gun=Gun. There is indeed a well known gun mod in Minecraft. Where at night zombies do spawn.) We can't just dismiss news pertaining to video games affecting reality in a negative light. It's the same as if he read a book that had all that in it and the father said he was role playing as (insertbookcharacterhere).

Glad to hear all 3 of 3 children went to the resource officer.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    So after reading the article, it just looks like a case of the dad trying to pass the buck on the last game the kid was playing instead of accepting responsibility.
    I think this video sums up the problems in this article and pretty much all the problems in this country.

10. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
  11. ninditsu

ninditsu GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Don't blame only the parents, blame the kid for not having any sense. Apparently he has Internet (only way to get minecraft, right?), he can google some videos on how to use common sense.

12. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Don't expect a 9 year old to have common sense. If you're doing something like this, then your parents are obviously not doing a good job of parenting. Kids emulate things they see in real life, and until someone shows them that it's wrong, they'll continue to do it. A 7 year old will look up to a 13/14 year old because of the age difference; it's sort of an "I'm the boss" scenario. It's only when you're a teenager that you start rebelling in an attempt to discover yourself...
    There are videos on the internet on how to acquire and develop common sense? Why don't they just read Thomas Payne's book? Oh right: they're too busy on their smartphones.

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Here's an artist's rendition of the backpack in question that contained the gun.

[​IMG]

EZ-Megaman, Nxenz and omgpwn666 like this.
  14. Squirps

Squirps Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The corner in that dark alley.
    I think the worst part about this is the fact that he thinks that there are guns in Minecraft.

Kids these days. :P

15. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Meh,the only way to have guns in MC is via Modded MC and I'm sure a 9 year kid won't know how to do it.
    Also enchanted diamond stuff is more powerful than any modded gun in MC...

16. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Once again, parents fault.

What world do we live in nowadays...

17. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Even at 9 years old, the kid should have enough smarts not to use a gun and a knife as play things. Bad dad for not teaching smarts to his kid.

And as for the dad, I'm surprised the gun wasn't loaded or the bullets easily accessible, he was stupid enough to leave the weapon where his kid could have access to it. Maybe he should teach his kid about guns if he is going to leave them lying about. Looks like the dad has as many smarts as the kid.

18. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    If you're going to blame a game, why not blame a good one at least.

19. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Uh, people tend to blame games that are known to depict the action in question. This instance is notable because, outside of third-party mods, Minecraft is medieval-based and has no guns (making the accusation almost laughable).

Duo8 and matpower like this.
  20. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    That one went right over your head didnt it?