9.9.9.9 aka Quad9: a new DNS service that protects you from malware

By now everyone probably knows 8.8.8.8, Google's public DNS service which is as neutral as possible... except they collect your data and you implicitely agree to it merely by using it.

Project Quad9
aims to reduce the global spreading of malware by making sure your computer can't communicate with servers that are known to host malware, botnets, and other baddies. So, unlike Google it's not neutral - in that you may get an error on a domain that actually exists, but they don't collect your queries for advertising purposes. If you wish to use it, all you need to do is set your DNS to 9.9.9.9, they have servers all over the world already to make sure access is fast for everyone (if anyone wants to use it, let us know if it's as fast as Google's service).

What do you think about this idea? Will it have an impact on malware spread worldwide?

Screenshot_1.png

Source: Arstechnica

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
By now everyone probably knows 8.8.8.8, Google's public DNS service which is as neutral as possible
i had been using openDNS, any thoughts about it?
didn't wanted to use google because i just don't want to give them too much power, i already use plenty of that company services... and opendns well, seems the best second best one?

Reactions: Nightwish

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will it have an impact on malware spread worldwide?
Without a doubt. That said, I don't think said impact will be very large.
Those who know enough to change their DNS from the one(s) provided by their ISP are probably going to be familiar with avoiding malware. Either through common sense or an anti-malware program.

Still, it's nice to see another alternative to Google's dubious DNS come along. And with the address being so easy to remember, I wouldn't be surprised to see Quad9 become the new go-to alternative DNS.

For anyone else who was wondering if they store ANY information, they openly answer that question in their FAQ section here:
https://www.quad9.net/#/faq#how-does-quad9-ensure-my-privacy
Quad9 said:
We, however, log the geo-location of the system (city, state, country) and use this information for malicious campaign and actor analysis, as well as a component of the data we provide our threat intelligence partners.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
One potential issue will be how zealous or up to date they are.

For example, my router includes Trend based protection but it blocked access to the Sonic Retro forums because of a prior issue.

D

Deleted User

It seems like a decent idea, and it will undoubtedly be useful for security purposes. However, the fact that they can control which servers you can connect to concerns me a little. I guess that's another instance of security vs. freedoms (though, admittedly, spreading malware isn't that good of a case for freedom, but who knows where this DNS could end up in the future).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2