Homebrew 9.5 Encryption Broke By Yellows8

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smea posted this to his twitter earlier. I wonder what this means for the Gateway boys.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It tells us that it can be done, and from their point of view easily. What this means for the GW boys is they might end up looking a bit naff if they can't get it done as well.

Complete emuNAND on N3DS will surely happen "soon". </sarcasm>

storm75x

Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!
Trophies
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
Website
www.fort42.com
XP
Country
That's not very exciting....
I'd rather be told "Oh yeah that means we can get stufff running on 9.5 like homebrew and stuff
Last time it took them 8 months to crack it. Think about it for a minute...
(There wasn't emunand for 8 months and new games weren't supported)

storm75x

Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!
Trophies
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
Website
www.fort42.com
XP
Country
Well your telling me to think about it for a minute
When it doesn't even involve me cause I can't use it so what's the point of telling me about it

To prevent this going into a flamewar I'm not replying again :)
Good idea, misinterpretations can lead to, well.... nasty things. :)

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stops enthusiasms (expecially the guys hoping for cfw).
Yellows8 is a genius. He is the guy behind all 3ds stuffs in 3dsbrew. He has cfw for every sysnand, but he does this for himself (maybe with some hacker friends together), so no public release. The only cfw in the wild (the one leaked) was his own work.
What this mean for the scene? That new protections can be breaked, now gateway team must work on this and no one knows the they could achieve this.
Unless yellows8 isnt a gateway team member (who knows), or eventually if he choses to sell them the way to break the new protection

Reactions: yuyuyup

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

IIRC another person also managed to hack it as well, and all the other keys could be extracted already (ie the rest of Nintendo's trap cards to stop emuNAND on N3DS). So whatever plans Nintendo had to block emuNAND with this are gone. They really messed this one up.

EDIT: So it seems that the patchability is actually kind of uncertain. At this point I'm not certain if mathieulh's findings are 100% correct or not since he says this exploit basically killed their security, while others are saying this isn't 100% the end in terms of keys and stuff. For the record, I'm not an expert at any of this stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt. :x

EDIT #2: This is definitely patchable according to yellows8, not sure why mathieulh made it seem like this wasn't patchable outside of hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: