9.0 N3DS - Mario Kart 7 Wants to Update?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kurt91, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    My N3DS is currently on version 9.0. I went through the steps to block system updates through the router, but either I didn't so so correctly or the settings haven't kicked in on the router. (It took a while before it started recognizing the 3DS after setting a connection up)

Mario Kart 7 says that it has a game update to apply. It says nothing about the system itself, so I don't think it's a full firmware update. It says it will activate upon starting the game with an active Internet connection. To be on the safe side, I turned off WiFi before playing the game.

I want to know. Is it safe for me to allow MK7 to update itself, or will it attempt to update the console firmware entirely? I haven't updated at all since I want to be able to set up homebrew on it once a Gateway-less method is released. I haven't had an update window pop up or anything, it's just a scrolling message on Mario Kart. Anyways, is it safe or not?

2. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    It wont let you update the game without updating your console.

3. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Yeah, you'll have to enter the eshop to update and you can't do that without updating the console first.

4. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    So, did I just do the router-blocking thing wrong and leave something out? I'll have to see if the delete-system-update trick works for game updates.

5. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Game updates are handled by the eshop servers. System updates are on completely different servers. You most likely only blocked the system update servers, and didn't block the eshop servers.

6. Gregora

Gregora GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Through other sites that will not be mentioned or linked to, people have threads of updates in the form of .cia files. I suggest you search for the update you want there.

7. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    I assume you only blocked these two (Nintendo Update Servers), correct?
    Code:
    nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    You should also have blocked these (they handle eShop stuff):
    Code:
    ecs.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    cp3s-auth.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    Now, I have no idea if it is still possible to get rid of the 'game update nags', but these are far less annoying than the system update nag anyways.
    Still, does anyone know if we can get rid of these nags?

8. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Turn wireless off. (you won't be able to play online anyway unless you update)

9. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    That won't disable the nags (the text on the top screen, under the game logo). Playing online is not possible anyways.