Homebrew 8bitdo SN30 (SNES30) NOT pro and retroarch Wii/Wii U

sideskroll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Guys, I've been looking for an answer to my question EVERYWHERE with no luck.
I want to get a couple of SN30 (previously called SNES30) gamepads from 8bitdo to use on my Wii U mainly with retroarch (maybe some VC, but it's not that important) but before I do that I want to make SURE they will work (and work well at that, no input delay, lag, issues etc).
I'm sure at least one of you have this gamepad and could help me with this.
AFAIK theres supposed to be custom or "old" firmware that enables the ability to connect to a Wii/ Wii U but I've read about some "issues" (nothing specific) as well... But NO ONE (apparently) uses it for retroarch (which blows my mind)
Anyway, I'd really appreciate any concrete info on this cause sadly I have no way of testing it before buying.
Thanks.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey man I saw your post on the retroarch thread earlier yesterday but was at work.
I’ve had the SN30 for a while and also own the newer pro version with the analog nubs. I bought them both for my old SNES console but I can definitely give it a go tomorrow with Wii U Retroarch and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: sideskroll

sideskroll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hey man I saw your post on the retroarch thread earlier yesterday but was at work.
I’ve had the SN30 for a while and also own the newer pro version with the analog nubs. I bought them both for my old SNES console but I can definitely give it a go tomorrow with Wii U Retroarch and let you know how it goes.
Thanks. I think it will need some research on your part though (if it even works). I really appreciate it.

Couldn't find a video on the SN30 but maybe this is similar?
I checked the thread but nobody mentioned the "old" firmware. (The one where you have to change the bin file but using the "new" executable... Or something like that.)
And also theyre talking about the SN/SF30 PRO. Not the "regular" one.
Thanks anyway. I hope youre wrong

Btw, just noticed I had posted in that thread some time ago with no replies...

Last edited by sideskroll,

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo, I tested with my SFC30, now known as SF30 and I've got some very sad news.
The sync process is garbage and it will frustrate the hell out of you.
Either if paired as Wii Mote or Wii U Pro controller it just simply has issues pairing to the Wii U console.
All instructions on how to pair are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/8bitdo/comments/76xf1z/snes30sfc30_on_wii_u_as_wii_mote/
and they work fine the first time but I went into retroarch after pairing it as a Wii U Pro controller and the menus would just breeze by ridiculously with a simple tap on the dpad so it was very hard to get to where I wanted.
After that I just decided to quit retroarch and go back to the wii u menu because I couldn't get to the games. Guess what? While it did quit retroarch it also shut down the console which was very very strange.

After that, I had to re-flash the firmware because the controller would simply not connect at all with the console for whatever odd reason and I even tried to pair it as Wiimote and nothing.
So yeah, I reflashed the firmware and it would pair again and I can confirm there is no lag on retroarch SNES with MSU-1 even. I tested along with a Wii U Pro and they performed almost equally.
I gotta say I prefer the Wii U Pro's Dpad and overall feel one thousand times over the 8bitdo controller one and also you do not run into these issues which can be pretty nerve wrecking.

I'm pretty sure it performs way better with a Switch but honestly if it were up to me I wouldn't recommend them for Wii U.

Last edited by Maxbeta,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: