:(

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sonicslasher, May 19, 2008.

May 19, 2008

:( by Sonicslasher at 3:20 PM (2,463 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. Sonicslasher
    OP

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    My mom took away my acoustic guitar because I wasn't playing "godly" music [​IMG]
    But I'm still waiting for collage when I can get that electric guitar [​IMG]

2. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    This thread is more suitable for Testing Area or as a Blog post as it does not really promote discussion.
    Also: College.

3. jos7960

Member jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I bet your not very old. Stand up for yourself. But a little revenge is always nice. Might i suggest:

Download the Carving a Giant video from Gorgoroth.

Burn it and play it loudly on the tv in your livingroom.

I bet itll scare the crap out of your mom if shes as 'godly' as you say.

4. Sonicslasher
    OP

United States
    She wouldn't be scared, she would just beat my ass. Then she would destroy all of my stuff cause she's batshit crazy!

5. muckers

Member muckers GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That's messed up dude - while your still only a kid, you are 14; you're not a little kid any more. You're a teenager.

Stand up for yourself - yeah she's your mum and stuff, and I'd generally take the stance that what parents say goes. But that's because most of the time what they do, while seeming unfair, is sensible.

This, on the other hand, is ridiculous. Just because you're not playing godly music? mental.

I wouldn't do anything to try and antagonise the situation though. If she's as crazy as you say she is, and she'd beat your ass at 14 for something so trivial, then it'd only make things worse. Try and reason with her. Get her to try to explain what's wrong with the music you're playing.

Is it because of the music you are playing (ie. a band she thinks is 'evil' or something), or the music you're not playing (ie. you should be playing 'godly' music and nothing else)?

Try and reason with her and turn her around. might seem pointless but it's worth a try, no?

How long you been playing by the way? See if you can learn 'Dee' by Randy Rhoads. Fantastic little acoustic composition - not too long, and not too hard to learn. Really nice and chilled out, a really peacful song. See if your mum approves of that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sonicslasher
    OP

United States
    Reason with her, lol. I tried that for years. Anyway the songs I have been playing lately are: "The Seeker", "We Didn't Start The Fire", "Stairway to Heaven", "Desperado" and some Weezer and Johnny Cash songs.

7. muckers

Member muckers GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    man, she must be a bit mental then - when you said she'd taken away your guitar for ungodly music I assumed it was some kind of satanic death metal or something!

maybe learn a couple of the kinds of songs she'd want you to play to keep her happy (since they're not gonna be too hard...most that sort of stuff is just basic chord progressions), but keep learning other stuff on the side [​IMG]

There's no way you'll progress and get better at an instrument if the only way you can play it is if you're playing Kumbyah.

8. Sonicslasher
    OP

United States
    Well she is already kinda angry at me because I announced I was a apathetic agnostic.

9. Sonicslasher
    OP

United States
    Well now she took away my $300 chocolate because I had music on that to [​IMG]

10. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    I think it's more because of this than anything else.

Telling very religious parents that you're not religious is generally not a good idea.

11. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Holy crap, now I think your parents are really overreacting.

12. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

...how the hell did you not get away with stairway to heaven? It's about how materialism is bad... =/

13. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

That's out of line.

Tell her that you don't love her any more for not supporting you in your life and stopping you from doing what you really want to do.

14. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Geez no offense, but I can't sugar coat stuff like this...ever on principle. Your mom flat out is an unapologetic psychotic religious fanatic bitch. People like that you can never reason with, or at least nearly never unless it follows the book.

I feel so bad for people who have to grow up with sick individuals like that for parents and hope they grow up still being normal, all the while hopefully cutting off their warped family members who thump that crap at the cost of the family because they're just that so gone in the head. Anyone who acts like your mom did gets anything and everything they deserve negative in their lives for force feeding their crap on everyone else and giving no quarter for conversion, realization, or at the least respect for leaving things alone.

...on a side note surprised she'd get pissed about Cash, that man was largely religious and preached out quite a few good hits in those periods of his life for followers.

15. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Again, it seems like she's just taking everyhting away from him that she can because he said he's agnostic. The songs don't actually matter.

I do agree with the rest of your post.

16. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    You should show her this thread.

Although on second thought, she'd probably take away your computer. So don't.

Just wait a few years, and once you're out of the house completely and utterly disown her. It would be preferable to do it publicly at some sort of family reunion, but just make sure to embarrass the fuck out of her when you do it.

Bide your time...

17. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    There are plenty of decent metal/rock bands that are religious-based, just learn from those [​IMG] If your mom complains, just tell her they're religious. It should work.

18. anime_junkie

Member anime_junkie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Do people really have this crazy of parents? When I stood up for myself and told my mom I didn't want to go to church, she was pretty cool with it. We talked for an hour, and it was basically "Well, you understand my views, and now I'll let you chose what to think on your own." I'm not a spiritual person, and my mom understands that and accepts it.

You people have crazy parents.

And I suggest you stand up to her. She can't tell you what to think, what to believe. If she thinks she can, prove her wrong. And if you worry about your stuff being wrecked by that crazy bitch, have a trusted friend hold on to it, in secret. Do something, though, as people like that need to learn they can't just control people.

19. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    ^Smart move for those you know just can't stand taking someone like that crap for another 3 years or so.

Take your left over games, cds, posters, whatever you got that she'd want to harm in her standard psycho-bitch like ignorant so called religiously right rage and store it. Get a lock box at a company, rent out for $10/mo some lame storage unit, get a box at a bank...or if you really have a 110% trustworthy friend send it that way.

Then give it to her exact how you feel about stuff, let her know she can't force you to think, act, and believe the way she does. And when she goes off her rocker and (likely) tries to strike you...remind her that Christianity is the religion of peace and 'turning the other cheek' not hate and blistering the other cheek. She how she takes that logic and let her smoke on it for a bit.

20. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    And if she does strike you, call CPS.