760 people die in UK heat wave, 'sweltering' temperatures of up to 32C/90F

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 5,570
  • Replies 52
D

Deleted_171835

OP
The U.K. is enduring a serious heat wave that has resulted in an estimated 540 to 760 deaths over nine days. Yet the highest the temperature has risen is 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Most of the time, temperatures have hovered in the high 80s, which, while toasty, doesn't seem like it could kill hundreds of people.

One reason for this is that air-conditioning is relatively rare in England. Only 0.5 percent of homes in the U.K. have air-conditioning, according to the BBC. Compare that to the United States, where an estimated 87 percent of households have an air-conditioning unit.

http://theweek.com/article/index/247184/why-80-degree-temperatures-kill-in-the-uk

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
90 degrees can kill in Seattle and other parts of the Northwest but they have AC like everyone else in America, but 0.5% in the UK not having AC, dear lord that problem needs to be fixed, it should've been fixed years ago since global warming was confirmed to exist.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Snapshot of the UK -
Too hot - everything breaks, travel stops due to everything breaking, people die
Too cold - everything breaks, travel stops due to everything breaking, people die
Too wet - everything gets really wet, travel gets massively delayed due to everything getting really wet, towns and villages flood, homes ruined. Possible casualties.
Too leafy - trains massively delayed...probably no casualties...
Too windy - trees fall down, people die.

We have a problem with weather here.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Question should be "how old were those people who died?" as people start to get older and older it is "normal" for a 90 years old to not survive a heat like this ... at least it would be more normal than a 20 years old dying ...

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
Meanwhile in Australia, Max 46°c on summer. Most things are okay, except for the southern star and bush fires but you get my drift.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Because they're talking about deaths among the elderly, frail and infirm and babies.

Homes in the UK are designed to keep all the heat in to deal with the usually less extreme heat. It's not a surprise that older people with poorer constitutions are taking it hardest. Keeping hydrated in this heat is really important and i suspect that many of those casualties didn't manage too.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna chime in: it's been over 90F for the past 60 days here in California. Not very humid though, thankfully.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just gonna chime in: it's been over 90F for the past 60 days here in California. Not very humid though, thankfully.

How unusual is that? Because the last time we had temperatures this high was seven years ago, and probably in a less prolonged run of days.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snapshot of the UK -
Too hot - everything breaks, travel stops due to everything breaking, people die
Too cold - everything breaks, travel stops due to everything breaking, people die
Too wet - everything gets really wet, travel gets massively delayed due to everything getting really wet, towns and villages flood, homes ruined. Possible casualties.
Too leafy - trains massively delayed...probably no casualties...
Too windy - trees fall down, people die.

We have a problem with weather here.

My goodness Mother Nature hates the UK.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
This has got to be bollocks. I go out in this heat and walk a round trip of 6 miles to Tesco to get the lady some sushi (they don't sell it any closer) and I'll wear my jacket. Doesn't phase me in the slightest. Fuck, I went to Malta in the height of the season and still wore a fleece, I've got the photos to prove it.

For those that doubt...
169081_10150091708617530_6089363_n.jpg

That's me, circa July 2003, in Malta, in a fleece.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
That's cause the UK isn't used to high temperatures due to it having a sea climate.

30c feels a lot different in the UK then it does in Italy/Spain.

I'll invite you to try italian temperature, we usually have 30-35° C in summer (and I mean the temperature you feel because of humidity, not the one from the thermometer). :\

Reactions: raulpica

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How unusual is that? Because the last time we had temperatures this high was seven years ago, and probably in a less prolonged run of days.
Pretty much every summer, temps are like this in Mid/Northern California (where I've been most my life). A week or two in a row above 100F is predictable, too. Here's what this past month as looked like for my current area:

OUtnQkn.png

Today was a rare day with clouds. It's fucking amazing.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Some locations can be completely taken by storm, when unprepared weather conditions happen. It may sound odd, but if it snows in southern Texas, the whole state freaks out and goes into lockdown, because cold weather is such a rarity. I can understand that the UK might have issues with such "hot" weather, but its been 101F degrees the past week, where I live, and I don't think anyone has died because of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0