74 Democrats Sign Letter Against Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TM2-Megatron, May 27, 2010.

1. TM2-Megatron
    OP

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Source

Dissapointing. Though I'll give credit to the big telecom's spin doctors... they're doing a masterful job at convincing people who you'd think are reasonably intelligent that the "truth" of this matter is in fact the complete opposite of the truth. How many massive utility services do people have to go through with this before they finally wrap their minds around the idea that sometimes, too free a market can in fact lead to a more restricted market for everyone?

2. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Bah...and this is why I've stopped trusting ANY politician. None of them, at all, are trustworthy. They're all just trying to get more money then they need, and more control then they should be allowed. And given how many Americans are complete dumbfucks, they'll end up getting that power... Just give it a few more years, guys. Eventually, at least in the US, we will NOT be able to do whatever we want on the internet. You'll have to pay for EVERYTHING you do.

3. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Good. Net neutrality is a backdoor to more power. No thanks.

But how am I not surprised that such an idea is supported here? I wonder...

*waits for the hungry wolves to leap like idiots*

JK, I love you all. [​IMG]

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    The day that my internet access is restricted to a "package" of select few sites, is the day that I either live like a caveman, and no internet, or I will leech wifi off of my rich, technically inept neighbors.

5. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    Cave or Jail... what a choice !

Lack of competition is a problem as said by someone at ArsTechnica

There is no neutrality sorry ... only balance. Fight for your rights ... Cruel world!

6. TM2-Megatron
    OP

Canada
    Net neutrality is the way the internet already works... what the FCC wants to do is simply make sure the big telecom companies can't change that. If they had their way, the internet would become the next cable television. Want to use Google? Too bad, your ISP will either throttle it or outright block access, to intice you to use their service instead. Want G-Mail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail? Again, too bad... why should you be able to go to one of them, when your ISP already has a perfectly good e-mail service for you to use? Want to come and post ignorant, conservative propaganda on GBAtemp? Again, sorry... this site contains information on pirating, and reviews and tutorials on illicit modifications to commercial gaming devices. I mean, why shouldn't they blacklist it? Allowing you acccess might get them sued.

Take a look at some of the proponents of net neutrality. These aren't, by any means, tiny companies... they make money through capitalism as much as anyone else does. They're not communists, they don't want to hand over the goddamn internet to the government; and the government doesn't even want it.... they simply want the internet to remain free. Killing net neutrality hands it over to the big telecom companies, and they make up the majority of the people in favour of killing it. Both the telecom industry, and some conservative "think tanks" who are too ignorant and whose thinking is too outdated to even be aware of the details of what they're supporting.

For christ's sake, if you're so for rampant capitalism, you should be for net neutrality. It ensures greater competition among internet services. Right now, your ISP is only really selling access to the internet... they don't control what you can and can't access once you're on it. If they're successful in killing net neutrality, then ultimately that's exactly what they'll be able to do.

Why is it so many in the US are dead-set against trusting a government they elected into office, but are practically drooling to be given the chance to hand over every little detail of their lives to massive corporations that answer to nobody?

7. TwinRetro

United States
    I don't know where the hell you're from, but I have never heard of anyone going to jail for leeching wifi.

8. GH0ST

France
    Kidding but in a near future ... In France it is a crime like any unwanted access on datas and it becomes a real problem since rich, technically inept neighbors are legion.

9. TwinRetro

United States
    Many states have shot down bills to criminalize wifi leechers and their bottom line is "You have means to protect your signal, and most routers come with detailed user-friendly instructions on how to do so. It is not the responsibility of the state to be a replacement to basic wifi encryption"

10. GH0ST

France
    I found some news like Long prison term for Lowe's wi-fi hacker but even without criminal goals wifi leeching is potentially dangerous ( Teenager using neighbour's wi-fi faces jail ). Since911 our rights are fucked anyway. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety (Benjamin Franklin)

11. naughtynazgul

Member naughtynazgul GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Sooooooooo, im kinda confused. Is signing this letter a good thing or bad thing for our rights?

12. TM2-Megatron
    OP

Canada
    If you're in Canada, it's neither for you (or me) yet. But their signing this letter, and supporting the viewpoint it represents, is very bad. It just shows how uneducated, even the higher-ups of government can be on the issues they either support or oppose. Ensuring net neutrality is a very good thing for consumer rights. Not doing so would eventually lead to the Internet becoming another cable television, with pre-defined "packages" your ISP allows you to purchase. They'd be able to pick-and-choose what sites and services you'd be allowed to use online... and manipulate that in a way that basically leaves their services as your only option (or only attractive option, as they've throttled everything else). There've also been examples of a couple ISPs that've blocked access to sites that have negative information about their company... if net neutrality is eliminated, then things like that will not only become more common, they'll pretty much become the standard practice.

13. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    At least the cost of service is much lower though, 20 dollars a month for a 10 Mb connection isn't too much considering what we have to pay in Canada. There are many local and region based service providers as well as national ones but we all have the same issues. You have to pay about 65 dollars a month for a 10 Mb connection here and the only alternatives are all the same price since the competition is so small, we are limited to maybe 3 national providers, Rogers, Bell and Telus, for internet service unless you want to use one of the much cheaper but much slower service providers that limit their services to certain regions. Those companies can't afford to expand their technology to provide you with a faster connection either because they have a very small customer base and little to no exposure on TV and such.

14. TM2-Megatron
    OP

Canada
    True. The ISP situation in Canada is a joke, and should be considered on the level of a National embarassment. I'm not sure about Telus or Rogers, but another fault of Bell is that even their most expensive plan doesn't give you unlimited bandwidth. The most expensive runs you around $60+ a month, and only gives you 75GB.

I go with TekSavvy, personally. They're not as fast as Bell's fastest, but at least their two options are 200GB and Unlimited; and both plans are cheaper than Bell. They also care about consumer rights, unlike any of the big 3, and a for Net Neutrality.