7 Annoying Types of Gamers

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by soulx, May 29, 2010.

May 29, 2010

7 Annoying Types of Gamers by soulx at 1:20 AM (3,530 Views / 0 Likes) 54 replies

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I saw this on Dorkly
    -----

1. Inspector Gadget
    This guy loves all the bits and pieces associated with gaming. He actually bought the Nintendo Power Glove and the Virtual Boy. He has Rumble Paks on his Rumble Paks. Maybe he just really likes Nintendo… No wait, there’s a stack of every color of PlayStation memory card ever made. He always shows up with his own controller in pristine condition, and you laughed at him when he brought over the Master Chief helmet that came with the Legendary edition of Halo 3, because it’s tiny and you can’t actually wear it. Then he used it to build a scale model that actually fit, and you were kind of jealous.

2. Freak of Nature
    Ok, I thought pot made your reaction time slower. I thought being on the phone while doing stuff made you less skillful. I thought having played the game before would give me some kind of advantage. Yet here you are, high as a kite, talking on the phone with your girlfriend, never having played this game before, and beating the crap out of me. I don’t know whether to salute you or cut you up into little pieces and hide them in the CD tray.

3. Purist/Completionist
    Doing stuff out of order just freaks this guy out. Don’t ever invite him to play multiplayer on a level he hasn’t played through himself on single player. He won’t put down a game until he has every scenario beaten, every achievement achieved. “I’d love to play MF2 with you, man,” he says, “but I’m still working on GTA IV.” He still brags about how, at the age of 12, he got every star in Super Mario 64 in perfect order. You wonder seriously whether he puts this on his resume.

4. Old School Elitist
    He’s indifferent about games today, but oh man, were you alive when the first Super Mario came out? That game was tight. The mechanics, the controls, both groundbreaking and breathtaking. Halo can’t hold a candle to GoldenEye; A Link to the Past leaves Uncharted in the dust. His reaction to any Call of Duty titles is lukewarm at best, though in a private conversation he’ll admit he finds the realism of the guns frightening.

5. This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things
    This guy loves his old games, but he can’t play them any more because every one of his consoles is completely trashed. The floor of his room is littered with scratched CD’s, and even when playing his 360 you can’t use the left trigger or it’ll erase his whole hard drive. His controllers have brown grime in every nook and cranny, and starting up his console blows a hurricane of dust up from behind the TV. Because of this guy, you get down on your knees and thank your older brother for forcing you to swiffer the entertainment center, lest you receive a beating by his hand.

6. Hardcore Elitist
    No points for originality here— he plays games until dawn, with empty energy drink cans covering every horizontal surface in his room, which, yes, is still in his mom’s house. You’re his only friend left that isn’t represented by an avatar, because he makes way too many gaming jokes and disdains anyone who isn’t on at least their fourth prestige in Call of Duty. Any game he touches, he masters; if only that were a marketable skill.

7. Whiner
    This guy has never lost a fair game, ever. He always wins. Except when he loses, but that’s only when the game is glitchy, every other player is modding, the connection drops, someone resets the modem, a small focused lightning storm over Texas brings the servers down, or everyone else had made more animal sacrifices to the gaming gods. I mean, if it weren’t all that stuff, he’d win all the time, no problem.

----
    I think I'm more of a Purist/Completionist. Heh. Almost have all the stars in Galaxy! Only...6....more.

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I hate to be a dick but I saw this link on GN too and thought the list was stupid. I've seen better lists of stereotypes on gamers before. Cant say I fall into an category. Maybe the 1st since thats closest to neutral.

3. soulx
    OP

Canada
    Live a little!
    This isn't supposed to be a realistic list on gamers.

4. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Friend, seriously, he freaks out over me winning at Brawl (Melee back in the day) and lies to our other friends about how he beat me 17 times out of 20.

But, it's fun just to play the game with him.

5. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
  6. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    It isn't? It describes almost perfectly pretty much every gamer I've ever met or spoken to. The type of gamer you find on the net usually falls under at least four of seven of those. :P

7. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    I'm annoyed by the completionist. I try to 100% some games. but most others I'm satisfied with just beating the game.
    To complete Spectral Force Genesis 100% requires like 600 hours of playtime. I got bored after just hours but pushed myself to complete 1/40th. I would be very annoyed if there were people out there who actually cared to 100% it.

Also where's the Online Trash Talker? Or the In Your Face Pwner?

If only Goldeneye had teabagging...

I'm none of those listed above, but I think I used to be the freak of nature. I don't know if video games got more complicated, or getting older has reduced my performance, but I used to be epic on any game I play including new ones. I remember the 1st time I playes SSB on N64. I got my ass kicked in round one against my friend who had the game for a few months, and starting from round 2, I've never lost a game, ever. Now I struggle against Level 4 AI on Smash Brawl. Fucking Wii controls.

8. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    None really describe me well but I don't consider myself a gamer and rather hate the word anyways

want. I'll probably buy one tho I'd feel retarded wearing it, oh well. I'll buy one. it's cheap.

9. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I think I'm a little bit of an Inspector Gadget. I always have to buy some kind of protection for my electronics, and it must protect the whole body, or else I won't buy it. Screen protector? HECK YEAH. Strap? YES! Will you use it?....no, but I NEED IT!

10. Porygon-X

Member Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

China
    I'd fall into the category of the "Purist/Completionist". But I always fail.

Picross 3D: I'm trying to get perfect on every puzzle, until Jam with the Band came out. CYA LATER!

11. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    Hmm... I don't really fall into ANY of the categories listed here. If I had to say one, I would pick "The Whiner."

12. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    This is me. I hate playing games out of order. I hate doing stuff out of order. In fact, I refuse to play MGS4 till I beat MGS2. And I won't beat that till I beat the first MGS.

13. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    I hate playing games out of order too. I want to focus on one game and after that, move to another.

14. mrSmiles

Member mrSmiles mrSmiles {^_^}

Canada
    2. Freak of Nature

I think this one describes me fairly well, i can pick up a game i've never played before and be good at it.

15. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    No. 4 and 7 here

16. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    are games that are long winded consider as annoying?
    you know, those games that will have 10-20 minutes of speech before something happens..?

i find people who like these types of game = annoying [​IMG]
    why is that so?
    my reason might be poor and being bias
    those people that i had come accross so far either they are a wimp or they talk alot [​IMG]

i will categorise them as talkative gamers...

EDIT:
    i will elaborate a little more... most of the time these people talk alot and the best part is they will just blah blah blah out the exact words on what happened and etc...

17. soulx
    OP

Canada
    Yep. Those games are annoying (e.g Super Paper Mario).

18. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Some of these descriptions may be a little bit too extreme but I think I fall under 1,5, and maybe a purist. Maybe.

19. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    2 & 3

But mostly a little bit of 3, i try to get every acchievement that i can get. But if it takes more than 10 tries, i give up.

20. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Let's see..I'm a mix of 2,3, and a bit of 4.
    Not so much that I don't like new games, I just love the older ones. :yayretro: