Hacking 7.2.0 emuNAND Question

misterqqqface

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently purchased a Gateway 3DS cart and have been spending the last hour setting it up. So far I've done everything except update my emunand (I've backed my original and formatted for emunand though). Gateway's website says they haven't cracked 7.2.0's encryption yet, so I assume their might be some issues updating. I'm just not sure what they are. Right now I'm on GW3D 4.5.6. Here are my main questions:

Will being on 4.5.6 prevent me from playing roms (offline) that require a higher system fw?
Is it safe to update to 7.2.0? Are there any consequences to doing so?

tecra_a8

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
1. if the game ask u to update, then update it, it will be safe as long as u r updating the emuNAND
2. it is completely safe, all games r running fine, except system settings, miiverse and e-shop

misterqqqface

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, so it's safe the game asks me to update as long as I have GW3D fw? just want to make sure.

As for the second, isn't it kinda bad if I can't access settings? How else do you get to the GW loader?

tecra_a8

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
All right, so it's safe the game asks me to update as long as I have GW3D fw? just want to make sure.

As for the second, isn't it kinda bad if I can't access settings? How else do you get to the GW loader?

the blocked e-shop, miiverse, and system settings are on the 7.2 (emunand), u access the gw loader on ur real nand (4.5)

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Specifically, be on your Emunand.
(In terms of OFW and CFW, yes, be on GW FW)

I'm partial quoting myself on a method that you will be sure you're on the right firmware:

Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Leaving system settings will let it boot back to system nand.

Here is what you should do.

When you first boot your 3DS, without using Emunand, create a few folders to show you are in sysnand, like this:

LwHN58V.jpg

Now install whatever, enter Emunand and insert your flashcart.
Now rename those folders:

ZueAfgY.jpg

(ignore the fact that my games don't appear on sysnand)

Now to be sure, power off and on.
What folders do you see?

If you see the sys folder again, you know which mode you are in.
and when you emunand, you see the emu folders, you know what mode you are in :)

Once you can confirm that the folder method is accurate,
you won't need to enter and exit to check again.

Cheers!

Reactions: Nurio

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Specifically, be on your Emunand.
(In terms of OFW and CFW, yes, be on GW FW)

I'm partial quoting myself on a method that you will be sure you're on the right firmware:

Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Cheers!
That is a good method, but I use another method on top of that. I don't have pictures right now, though.
In system NAND, I have my settings icon at the top left (where the game icon usually is) and the game icon way off somewhere
In EmuNAND, I have my game icon at the top left and my settings icon way off somewhere.
That way, I know by looking at the top left corner what mode I am in. If I am in system NAND, I have to run the settings there to get into EmuNAND, and when I am in EmuNAND, I can play the ROMs there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol looks about as fun as a root canal