68 percent of US broadband connections aren't really broadband

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 4,784
  • Replies 50
D

Deleted_171835

OP

As the FCC itself has made abundantly clear, the definition of "broadband" is an ever-changing one, and its latest report has now revealed just how hard it is for the US to keep up with those changes. According to the report, a full 68 percent of "broadband" connections in the US can't really be considered broadband, as they fall below the agency's most recent minimum requirement of 4 Mbps downstream and 1 Mbps upstream. Also notable, but somewhat buried in the report, are the FCC's findings on mobile broadband use. The agency found that mobile wireless service subscribers with mobile devices and "data plans for full internet access" grew a hefty 48% to 52 million in the second half of 2009, and that when you consider all connections over 200 kbps, mobile wireless is actually the leading technology at 39.4 percent, ahead of cable modems and ADSL at 32.4 and 23.3 percent, respectively. When it comes to connections over 3 Mbps, however, cable modems account for a huge 70 percent share.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Technically, I don't have broadband. I only have 0.50 Mbps upstream.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao, I have 120 KB per second down. F my freaking life.

Don't even want to mention I have to wait like 5 minutes to watch a 30 second youtube video

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im part of that 68%
happy.gif

750kbps down
120kbps up

in actual download this relates to 90kbps down
and 11kbps up

D

Deleted-247497

OP
its robbery the way cable providers just flat out lie about the speed of their internet. mine is advertised as 6mbps but i have NEVER had annything above 2 and a half, its a complete monopoly also.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I remember last time they changed it (to 2 megabits down) all the "wireless broadband" companies had to change the phrase to "cellular internet". 1.5 megabits down here, I wonder how the company's going to react...

The FCC at least seems on top of things, even if they do have to be dicks to people involved in order to get stuff done. When making progress you just gotta' give people who refuse to budge a wake-up slap.

EDIT:
snico1995 said:
its robbery the way cable providers just flat out lie about the speed of their internet. mine is advertised as 6mbps but i have NEVER had annything above 2 and a half, its a complete monopoly also.
Just to be sure, you ARE aware of the differences between bits and bytes, right? Internet speed is measured in bits. If you're using filesize download speed to test, that's in bytes, which is a different unit.

EDIT2: Oh, seems the actual change to 4 megabits is from back in july.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2366808,00.asp

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a facade due to the fact most connection speeds vary on location, connectivity, and service. You can't tell me that most companies that offer more than 50mbps that it doesn't come with collaterial services like cable and telephone service. The sad part is that it will cost you 3x more to have ALL three services in one.

What disgusts me more is that most if not all, cable companies are doing this. They know that can charge for phone, cable, and internet service after that pathetic $99.99 a month which quadraples after your 'friendly' service ends. I remember one time after my father couldn't pay for that 3-in-1 service from IO, he told me to return that crappy cable box to them! Don't you know there was a line outside the store and around corner of the same customers who fell for that same service! It's a fucking shame but I will rather buy phone and internet service from one carrier than buy cable from a different one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb