DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Was contacted by my dad who wanted me to look up something he recently purchased (but not received yet) on Amazon. He said it was a 64GB microSD card marked as SDHC. Perhaps my tech knowledge is a little rusty, but I thought SDHC was limited to 32GB within the bounds of compatibility. I understand that we can format an SDXC card with FAT32 so we can use them in devices limited to SDHC (like the 3DS), but is this something the manufacturers may be doing now? The odd thing though (and perhaps it means it's a fake if not for the SDHC marking) is that this particular card my dad bought was being sold for less than the 32GB card being sold by the same company, at $7.99 vs $8.50 for the 32GB.

http://www.amazon.com/RDCLFL-MicroS...TK7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442289273&sr=8-1

He wants me to test it when he gets it, but I have a feeling that it may not work all that well, considering the price and the suspicious SDHC marking on it.

PS: Seems while reviewing my post here to commit, the price of the 32GB, initially more at $8.50, was reduced to $5.98.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was contacted by my dad who wanted me to look up something he recently purchased (but not received yet) on Amazon. He said it was a 64GB microSD card marked as SDHC. Perhaps my tech knowledge is a little rusty, but I thought SDHC was limited to 32GB within the bounds of compatibility. I understand that we can format an SDXC card with FAT32 so we can use them in devices limited to SDHC (like the 3DS), but is this something the manufacturers may be doing now? The odd thing though (and perhaps it means it's a fake if not for the SDHC marking) is that this particular card my dad bought was being sold for less than the 32GB card being sold by the same company, at $7.99 vs $8.50 for the 32GB.

http://www.amazon.com/RDCLFL-MicroS...TK7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442289273&sr=8-1

He wants me to test it when he gets it, but I have a feeling that it may not work all that well, considering the price and the suspicious SDHC marking on it.

PS: Seems while reviewing my post here to commit, the price of the 32GB, initially more at $8.50, was reduced to $5.98.
fake didn't even need to read
Here you go @DiscostewSM straight from Sandisk http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Adapt...e=UTF8&qid=1442291646&sr=1-1&keywords=sandisk

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The card arrived in the mail. Says SDHC on it, even with 64GB also displayed. Computers (Windows) showed it as exFAT. Wouldn't work in his devices in either exFAT or FAT32 format (a video recorder for the car and his digital camera, both which were rather old), so I said "Here, let me try it."......and I stuck it in my 3DS via included adapter. Read almost 512k block (roughly 65.5GB, which is odd for a 64GB card). Hadn't actually tried anything like downloading/copying/running games on it yet. His Galaxy S3 seems to read it too. He's giving it to me to try, so I'll do some "extensive" testing on it to see how reliable it is. If it works, then it works. If it doesn't, then we shall return to sender.

Now to duplicate the emuNAND from my other card onto this one, and copy the rest.

Reactions: the_randomizer

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, looks like I'm gonna have my dad return it. So many errors happening with this whole process of duplicating my stuff over to it. The guide that showed how to transfer emuNAND over with all my stuff intact kept having errors during the "resize-partition" instruction. Tried formatting the partition and then resizing (which worked), but attempts to copy data to it after a certain amount would start cropping up write errors. Even attempted to copy cias over so I can install them manually had problems, insomuch that some files that did copy prior to errors ended up not showing on the card. Based on the graphic window as the copying progressed, it was around 6-7GB that the consistent 11MB/s write speed dropped to an average of 3MB/s, showing a "rolling hills" form that would go as high as 7MB/s and as low as 700KB/s that would swap every few seconds.

Based around when copying dropped, and adding the 1GB for emuNAND, my conclusion is that this is actually an "8GB" card that has an additional 56GB stacked on it that isn't at all reliable, if even that much as I haven't actually tried filling the entire card.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: butthurt aren't ya? can't stand the truth