Hardware 64GB 2666Mhz RAM or 32GB 2933MHz RAM with XMP?

SmellyPirateMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm shopping for my new pc and I'm left with these 2 options.
I looked up a few comparison videos/benchmarks and forum posts but that didn't really help too much. The results didn't really vary too much and in some tests the lower speed ram still kept up with the other.

Some forum posts people said the difference in speed isnt worth it at all but that post is over a year old so I'm not sure what to trust. Anyone care to help out a noob?

This is a 16 core threadripper build and I'm mainly going to be using it for gaming obviously and probably capturing gameplay.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TechModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would go with the 64gb RAM, but that is just my opinion, because, I don't think that is going to make a crazy speed difference and that's double the ram. There is a situation like yours online that is 2666mhz vs 3000mhz, and just about everyone said that there is almost no difference, unless you are using it for some sort of high-spec work applications.
BTW though, what are you going to use this for?

Last edited by TechModder,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you expect to be using more than 32GB RAM, 64 will be faster. Otherwise, 32 will be faster.

So if you're using CEMU with NVIDIA graphics, or video editing/3d modeling, etc. get 64.

Just for recording gameplay while gaming, I'd say fast 32 and a SSD.

SmellyPirateMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would go with the 64gb RAM, but that is just my opinion, because, I don't think that is going to make a crazy speed difference and that's double the ram. There is a situation like yours online that is 2666mhz vs 3000mhz, and just about everyone said that there is almost no difference, unless you are using it for some sort of high-spec work applications.
BTW though, what are you going to use this for?
Gaming mostly and capturing gameplay

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

SmellyPirateMonkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually completely changed my mind. I was gonna get an Alienware but building my own is gonna be 1000 bucks cheaper plus my custom build is slightly better. I went with 3600mhz ram instead. And I'm going with a full ekwb cooling system. Ram, gpus, and of course cpu

Plus I did some research and apparently Alienware Thread rippers get hot especially with that claustrophobic tower. I kinda wanted to build my own anyway

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Skill issue.