Hardware 60GB model 3 beeps with no yellow or flashing red light

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I looked it up online, and some people are saying I need to strip the whole thing down. I was hoping someone here might know of a reliable tutorial, or have had this happen to them before, and could give me some tips.

Exactly what happens:
  • I turn on the switch
  • the standby red light appears
  • a beep happens at the same time the green light appears
  • another beep happens at the same time the green light flickers
  • a third beep happens, and it goes back to a red light (goes into standby)
I got this from my brother because it was broken, and I was hoping he was just too stupid to try unplugging it, but it looks more serious than that.

Figured I should mention: my brother's technically inept, so there's no way he tried to put CFW on it. And I hope I can go to Gamestop, ask them if it'd be possible to quickly try a different power supply to see if that was the problem.

Also: the power button doesn't work, but the eject one does.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so some of my information was wrong. It's actually the 40GB version, CECH-G01. I took off the top cover, tried messing with the trigger for the power button, but I couldn't get it to work. I also tried to take out the hard drive, and use a different power plug, but the same green light, then green light, then red light with a beep with every light change problem occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would u of happened to change cables maybe meaning HDMI to regular AV or vice versa???

Not sure cause if power button is broken that might be a problem.......

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would u of happened to change cables maybe meaning HDMI to regular AV or vice versa???

Not sure cause if power button is broken that might be a problem.......
I just got it two days ago, so I don't know, but it's possible/likely, since it came with an hdmi cable from my brother, and I think they originally came with regular ones (though I don't know for sure).

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause i had a beeping problem on a Fat Ps3 and seems it was the Video output......if u hold the Power button like 5 seconds it beeps 3 times changes output and shutsdown

then u can power like normal and it should come up....again with broken power button im not sure how u can test that :nayps3:

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause i had a beeping problem on a Fat Ps3 and seems it was the Video output......if u hold the Power button like 5 seconds it beeps 3 times changes output and shutsdown

then u can power like normal and it should come up....again with broken power button im not sure how u can test that :nayps3:
Yeah, I was hoping a factory reset might help, but I can't even get into the menu, nor can I hold the button down for 5 seconds. Maybe something happened to the pin that is used for the power button, and it's stuck, so every time I turn the switch on, it does the 3 beep thing.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How old is the system???

U should try to open and Hit it with compressed air spray as it also could be an overheating problem......
It's pretty old. The model is Nov. 2007, and it was probably bought soon after that. I was gonna try messing with the power tab and the connector's ribbon cable to see if that helps, but if not it looks like I'll have to take the whole thing apart and make sure everything's connected, then I'll go ahead and use some compressed air on it.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it to work! Kinda! If I press then eject button then hold it, for as long as I hold it, the PS3 stays on. I even got to the menu (which I couldn't do before). So I'm gonna try doing a factory reset while holding that button. It seems the power button is definitely the culprit, as it's able to turn on and everything, for as long as I hold the eject button. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll have to rig it so that the eject button is always held, or stick a piece of foil between the two buttons so that the power button registers. Maybe I'll have to put a custom firmware in so I can play off of the HD, since I can't access the blu-ray drive while its button is held. But I'm happy, since I've gotten further than I have before.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like an issue with the OFW.

Have you tried booting it without an HDD in it?
Have you attempted to use any of the options in the recovery menu?

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like an issue with the OFW.

Have you tried booting it without an HDD in it?
Have you attempted to use any of the options in the recovery menu?
Unfortunately, I have no access to the recovery menu, because I have no access to the on/off sensor. And yes, I tried without the HDD. Same problem. Here's my more detailed post that I just made over at the official PS3 forums.
I've read a bunch of forum posts, guides, and what-have-you, but I have yet to find a fix for my rather unusual problem. When I turn my PS3 (G01 model, 40GB) on by its switch in the back I get a brief red light followed by a green light with a beep, then the green light flicks for a second with a beep, and then goes into SOLID red with a final beep. After some experimentation, I've found out that I can get my PS3 up and operational if I use the eject button to turn it on, and after I press the eject button, I must let go then keep pressing it for the PS3 to stay on. If I take my finger off for a second, the PS3 goes back into standby mode.

I tried doing a system restore with a quick format (because a full format would require me to keep my finger on the PS3 for over 2 hours, and if I slip I could end up bricking my console), but that didn't change anything. I took off the top of the PS3, and just like when the top was on, the eject sensor works, but the power one doesn't. I pressed the power sensor, tried pulling it up, tried pushing it down, and nothing worked. I also tried taking out the HDD, but the same problem occured.

The PS3 is still fully functional (at least as far as I can tell), when holding my finger on the eject sensor. I tried playing a DVD while holding the eject button, and it worked. The fan doesn't go crazy, or anything like that.

Does anyone have any advice on how I may fix my PS3? It's obviously functional (to an extent), but without the power button, I can't access the recovery mode, and that sort of thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1