Hacking 6.1.0-10U Firmware vs. 9.4.0 Firmware: Which one is easier to install CFW?

Hiitslawrence

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm still relatively new to the 3DS hacking scene. I found two 3DS online for about the same price. One of them is on 6.1.0 firmware and the other is on 9.4.0. Which 3DS is easier to install CFW? I see many guides online about downgrading a 3DS on 9.3+ firmware and installing CFW, but I don't see any guides on how to install CFW on a 3DS on 6.1.0 firmware. Also, I would like to use my 3DS for Freeshop, emuNAND, and .cia files.

Zelbano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you follow Plailect's guide then anything below 11.0 should be easy. You will have to downgrade to firmware 2.1.0 to be able to extract the OTP anyway. The OTP is needed to install ARM9Loaderhax.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the link. If I get the 6.1.0 3DS, will I be able to upgrade my 3DS to 9.2.0? I heard from someone that most CFW programs are designed to work on 9.2.0.

In 6.1 you can use Freeway MSET with a DS flashcard.
In 9.4 you can directly browserhax your way.

I find easier and cheaper browserhax, but a downgrade can be riskier than simply an upgrade.
Your choice. I would go for the 9.4 one.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by iAqua,
Reactions: Urbanshadow

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No no no no no no no. There's a browser version of it. ( 6.1.0 )

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Decrypt9-(Browser)

Get the 6.1.0 <3.

There's a Browser in the guide but, does that 3DS comes with browser or not?

OP, you should ask the seller's what is the full version of the FW, v6.1.0-XX???

[EDIT]
Just saw Topic and it's 6.1.0-10U, :)

OP, go with that one, since it's safer to update than to downgrade.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cravas,

Hiitslawrence

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a Browser in the guide but, does that 3DS comes with browser or not?

OP, you should ask the seller's what is the full version of the FW, v6.1.0-XX???

[EDIT]
Just saw Topic and it's 6.1.0-10U, :)

OP, go with that one, since it's safer to update than to downgrade.
[/EDIT]

Thanks everyone, ended up buying the 6.1.0-10U 3DS!

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
In 6.1 you can use Freeway MSET with a DS flashcard.
In 9.4 you can directly browserhax your way.

I find easier and cheaper browserhax, but a downgrade can be riskier than simply an upgrade.
Your choice. I would go for the 9.4 one.
9.4.0-10 is a frankenfirmware which has bad compatibility with Browserhax.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For the latest 2.1.0 CTRtransfer method:
- (4.1-4.5 6.0-6.3) MSET is the most stable exploit but requires DS flash-cart
- N3DS Browserhax, Standard Firmware Spider, CN/OOT/some other *Haxes are the next stable exploits.
- O3DS Browserhax, Frankenfirmware Spider, Frankenfirmware Browserhax are the LEAST stable exploits. Using other exploits on them is highly recommended.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
9.4.0-10 is a frankenfirmware which has bad compatibility with Browserhax
Hey, thanks for the point. I though we were talking about two units?

He should be able to use the browser in both versions with more or few tries if the versions are native, like a fellow temper showed me above.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hey, thanks for the point. I though we were talking about two units?

He should be able to use the browser in both versions with more or few tries if the versions are native, like a fellow temper showed me above.
6.1.0-10 is also a frankenfirmware. The standard suffix of 6.1.0 is -12 (excluding TWN/CHN) and -10 is for 4.4.0-4.5.0 (excluding TWN/CHN).
And according to the old guide, Browserhax's minimum requiry is a -20 browser. So neither of them will work.
6.1.0 is compatible with the most stable exploit - MSET. So if TC has a DS flashcart it is the choice.
9.4.0 is compatible with the second stable exploit - Ninjhax or OoTHax. So if TC has a CN/OoT/Sky3DS(+) it is the choice.

Last edited by MelonGx,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Technically you can run cfw on 9.4 as-is. However, it's just minipasta so most people won't bother. :P (cries)

If memchnkhax was more stable on 9.4 it would be a better base for cfw than 9.2.

Reactions: Ricken

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
6.1.0-10 is also a frankenfirmware. The standard suffix of 6.1.0 is -12 (excluding TWN/CHN) and -10 is for 4.4.0-4.5.0 (excluding TWN/CHN).
And according to the old guide, Browserhax's minimum requiry is a -20 browser. So neither of them will work.
6.1.0 is compatible with the most stable exploit - MSET. So if TC has a DS flashcart it is the choice.
9.4.0 is compatible with the second stable exploit - Ninjhax or OoTHax. So if TC has a CN/OoT/Sky3DS(+) it is the choice.
They're not frankenfirmwares, just consoles updated with a cart, there's a difference.
Browserhax supports every browser version since X.X.X-2, and the *hax payload itself supports every browser version since X.X.X-7 (according to https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_browserhax_common and https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ ) so he should not have any problems.
It's a moot point anyway because browserhax doesn't work on any firmware below 9.0 due to the *hax payloads only working on 9.0 and up. The spider exploit should work just fine, though, and that's all he needs to follow the new guide.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
They're not frankenfirmwares, just consoles updated with a cart, there's a difference.
Browserhax supports every browser version since X.X.X-2, and the *hax payload itself supports every browser version since X.X.X-7 (according to https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_browserhax_common and https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ ) so he should not have any problems.
It's a moot point anyway because browserhax doesn't work on any firmware below 9.0 due to the *hax payloads only working on 9.0 and up. The spider exploit should work just fine, though, and that's all he needs to follow the new guide.
But almost all the incompatibility of HBL booting & Spider booting happens on non-standard firmwares.
If the incompatibility is not caused by Browser, then the reason should be inside the rest of the entire firmware. It is still related to the suffix.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But almost all the incompatibility of HBL booting & Spider booting happens on non-standard firmwares.
If the incompatibility is not caused by Browser, then the reason should be inside the rest of the entire firmware. It is still related to the suffix.
It depends on the ROP chain used. The CakeHax Spider ROP chain supports less firmware versions and browser versions than say, Gateway's ROP chain, which works on pretty much every browser version and firmware below 9.2. (I think the minimum browser version supported by Gateway's ROP chain is X.X.X-3 or X.X.X-4)
The Decrypt9 method that's currently used in the guide supports both CakeHax and GW ROP, so even if one doesn't work the other will. It also supports the mset exploit which can be used as a last resort on 6.x.
Anyway, a X.X.X-10 firmware will work fine with both CakeHax and GW ROP, and on 9.0.0+ with browserhax. It only becomes a problem with extremely outdated browser versions, like pre-X.X.X-7, or when trying to use browserhax on a pre-9.0 frankenfirm that has been partially updated to 9.0+, and partial updates in some other scenarios.

The browser and eShop are the only things changed by the suffix, so no.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: MelonGx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more