Hacking 5400RPM HDD is slow for Backup Loader?

• Thread starter cloudspear
  • Start date
  • Views 2,739
  • Replies 4
C

cloudspear

OP
Hello, is a WD Green HD with 5400RPM too slow for backup loader? Is there a noticeable different in the load speed between a 5400rpm and 7200rpm HD for wii backup loader?

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't make a noticeable difference with external HDDs over USB 2.0, that's where the biggest bottleneck is.

edit for clarity: Data transfer in any system is only as fast as its slowest component. Most 5400RPM HDDs can give a transfer rate of over 1000Mb/s, but USB 2.0 has a maximum transfer rate of 480Mb/s. It doesn't matter that a 7200RPM HDD is even faster than a 5400RPM, the fact that it's going through USB means that the most you'll ever get is 480Mb/s regardless of the HDD.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
I use a usb-powered 5400rpm drive. I think it's fast enough, though my guess it can be faster if you have a better harddrive. it would be nice to try a SSD
smile.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just copy a big file from the external HDD to an internal one on your pc and stop the time. Then compare your result with the ~8MB/s which is the theoretical maximum you can get with retail discs, and be happy.

C

cloudspear

OP
Covarr said:
It doesn't make a noticeable difference with external HDDs over USB 2.0, that's where the biggest bottleneck is.

edit for clarity: Data transfer in any system is only as fast as its slowest component. Most 5400RPM HDDs can give a transfer rate of over 1000Mb/s, but USB 2.0 has a maximum transfer rate of 480Mb/s. It doesn't matter that a 7200RPM HDD is even faster than a 5400RPM, the fact that it's going through USB means that the most you'll ever get is 480Mb/s regardless of the HDD.

That make prefect sense. The WD Green is fast enough for Wii loader plus 5400rpm hdd will save me some money on my energy bill too. Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1