Hardware 512GB for 15$...What's the catch?

lolboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone,

Few weeks ago I saw 512GB micro-sd card for 15$ on some chinese website (can't remember) . I thought to myself: yeeaaah right.
So because it was 'limited' offer for 2 hours I took the risk and wanted to see what I will get. I orderd one and received it today.

I have run H2testw and to my suprise it passed almost 250GB so far (not verified).

Fx3OpPk.png

The write speed is slow. So whats the catch? What can I expect? Should I even bother putting it into my Switch or will it get corrupt fast?

Last edited by lolboy,
Reactions: yacepi15

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone,

Few weeks ago I saw 512GB micro-sd card for 15$ on some chinese website (can't remember) . I thought to myself: yeeaaah right.
So because it was 'limited' offer for 2 hours I took the risk and wanted to see what I will get. I orderd one and received it today.

I have run H2testw and to my suprise it passed almost 250GB so far.

Fx3OpPk.png

The write speed is slow but the capacity seems to be Ok (so far). So whats the catch? What can I expect? Should I even bother putting it into my Switch or will it get corrupt fast?
Some fake cards start to overwrite the data when they reach their real limit. When the verifying part starts, it will fail.

lolboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some fake cards start to overwrite the data when they reach their real limit. When the verifying part starts, it will fail.
You think so? So far 252 files are created and I have placed few of my own files and they seem to be OK.

nightshadowon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put a file on the SD, make a MD5 checksum of it, and then wait for H2Testw to write 8 or 16GB more and check it again. It will be corrupted.
Agree. Most fake SD cards are either 8 or 16GB that have been "faked" to report higher available capacities. Youtube search: fake sd linuxtechshow

lolboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Agree. Most fake SD cards are either 8 or 16GB that have been "faked" to report higher available capacities. Youtube search: fake sd linuxtechshow
10GB written so far and Md5 still matches. Lets see if it will make it to 16GB.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your screenshot only shows the write process. The tool didn't actually check for errors yet. It will do that after the writing process has finished.
You are right. I edited my post added “not verified”.

Last edited by lolboy,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Doubt it's actually 512GBs, but I have seen actual functioning cards that don't fail at 20€ for 256GBs with the catch that they simply are Class 4 or lower (meaning really slow). Cheap cards aren't 100% guaranteed fakes, although 512GBs most likely could be... Does it have a brand or something?

lolboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
30GB and md5 still matches...

Doubt it's actually 512GBs, but I have seen actual functioning cards that don't fail at 20€ for 256GBs with the catch that they simply are Class 4 or lower (meaning really slow). Cheap cards aren't 100% guaranteed fakes, although 512GBs most likely could be... Does it have a brand or something?

Can't check the brand right now.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

For what it's worth, 128 GB SanDisk microSD is $25 on Amazon.

Even if it's cheap, don't buy fake cards 'cause you risk losing everything stored in it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I agree, just wanted to know what I will get.

A shitty SD card and got scammed for 15 quid.
GG.

If you see SD cards or USB drives that have a large capacity for a ridiculously low price then it's 99/100 times to good to be true.

However, if you have an actual 512 GB card and everything is legit then GG, nice find.

Reactions: ry755 and lolboy

lolboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Next time, instead of throwing 15$ literally in the trash, give that money to someone who needs it.
I am not throwing money everyday. Sometimes we take a risk (bad choice).

A shitty SD card and got scammed for 15 quid.
GG.

If you see SD cards or USB drives that have a large capacity for a ridiculously low price then it's 99/100 times to good to be true.

However, if you have an actual 512 GB card and everything is legit then GG, nice find.
I never fall for this but dont know why I fell for it this time. It was very tempting maybe because of “limited offer” hehe

Last edited by lolboy,

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People get what they pay for, I prefer buying a microSD card from Kingston, Samsung or SanDisk from either my local retailers or Amazon (avoid Aliexpress and such since there ARE counterfeits of these brands).
Here's a rule with Aliexpress, if something sounds way too good to be true that's because it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: