50Hz / 60Hz Mode on Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by off_d, Jun 1, 2008.

1. off_d
    OP

off_d Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2003
    Greece
    Hello!

I'm using some NTSC games in my PAL Wii. Some of them need be set to 60Hz mode. What i do is switch my TV Type in Nintendo Wii settings to 60Hz (i use 50Hz normally). When i do that although it works my LCD Tv screen is getting very blurry, creates a kind of ghost images all around, and has two red bars going from top to bottom of the screen. Does anyone know how i can fix that ? My TV supports progressive scan as well as NTSC signal. I use the normal scart cable that came with the original package of Wii.

Thanking you in advance...

akatelka

2. Link00y

Link00y Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Several TVs are unfortunately not able to properly handle PAL60 - this seems to be the case for you. As you mentioned your TV would also do progressive scan, I'd recommend you the following: get a cheap (3rd party does fine) component cable - even if high quality cables might give you better picture quality this one will do fine - your TV must have component inputs but I assume it has considering besides VGA/DVI/HDMI component is the only way known to me for progressive pictures.

[​IMG]

You need 3 inputs (green - Y, blue - Pb, red - Pr) for video as well as two (red - R, white - L) for audio.
    If your TV has such an input you can use the 480p mode.. which means for you:
    -much better picture quality! (pictures as clear as those on PC monitors - less blurry just lower resolution)
    -should work with pretty much all bootable NTSC games
    -PAL and NTSC technically do not exist anymore (the picture is generated a completely different way)

What you might want to check: boot your games in PAL60 mode.. PAL60 and 480p behave a very similar way and some games unfortunately have seperated savegames for 50 Hz and 60 Hz modes (60 Hz modes = PAL60/480i and 480p).

3. off_d
    OP

off_d Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2003
    Greece
    I've thought about a component cable. The only problem is that i have my dvd player using component. So i guess i'd either have to use and HDMI for my dvd and a component for my wii or switch cable all the time ! I think the component is the solution too. But i 'd have to buy the original from nintendo as in greece i don't know of a shop selling 3rd party components for wii. Anyways, i have also tried the PAL60 but same thing happens. I even tried different inputs but nothing.

thanx again !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice