Hardware 500GB+ 2.5 inch drive recommendation? (wiki is usless)

robo989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, recently bought a 640GB 2.5 inch WD Scorpio to replace my 250GB Scorpio...Well welll, I've read everything on the internet and the 640GB versions are basically useless.

I've looked in the hard drive compatibility Wiki but I don't trust 90% of the reports in there, should be deleted in the state it's in if you ask me but hey ho
smile.gif

Anyways, I'd be really greatful if someone could recommened any 2.5 inch drive 500GB or more for use in the Wii with ZERO issues. i.e, you don't need to turn it on first\second, it doesn't spin down (or the spin down can be disabled permanently through a utility at least), no head parking issues that can't be switched off permenently, etc etc etc

Thanx, (I'm goin bonkers here after spending last 24 hours on that damn scorpio drive)

Also ideally I'd like a bare sata 2.5inch drive - not one with an enclosure already.

Thanx again, Rob

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
640GB drives should work just fine, although depending on what USB loader format you're using it you may need to create a partition smaller than 512GB. WD Scorpios can have some spindown issues, but there should be virtually no difference between the two sizes.

And if you're looking for a bare SATA drive, remember that it's the enclosure hardware that sets power options most of the time.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use a Western Digital 1 TB hard drive, no issues, ever. Works for UNEEK, PUNEEK, USB Loader GX, Riivolution, HBC, you name it, it works with it. Plugs into the wall, of course, but that's a given.

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As above - the hard drive has little impact comared to the enclosure.

I use WD Passport essentials, the 500gb and 1TB both work without issue on GX loader with Fat32 partition

robo989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right thanx for the replies
smile.gif

Didn't expect so many so quick much appreciated.

You've all given me an idea, going to try a different enclosure for that 640GB Scorpio just to see what happens (was using the old 250GB scorpio in a different branded one)....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Wut.