50% noob needs a little more help...pls

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by eye123, Jan 2, 2010.

Jan 2, 2010
  1. eye123
    OP

Newcomer eye123 Member

Canada
    My Wii is LU694...Model RVL-001 (USA)

I updated to 4.2 U Through N...first off xmas morning

I e-mailed for the modify.zip for the 4.2 (thanks for this, appreciate it!)

The Homebrew Channel: Can be installed.
    dvdx: Can be installed.
    Bootmii installed as a IOS only...

I am an unfortunate boot2v3/4 user...did a NAND backup anyways until I know more, can't hurt, right?

I can't seem to get DVDx to install, but it says it can

I get errors...

I read that you need DVDx for playing wii game backups (form rom drive) and DVD movies.

"DVDx allows burned games to be played"

I read that you don't need DVDx to play wii game backups (form rom drive) and only need it for DVD playback (with a player)

"DVDx has nothing to do with being able to play burned games on your console, and is more meant for playing media such as dvd movies"

I went to the bannerbomd site and tried the files there and still can't install it without errors

Can someone explain this...

Please note that this DVDX
    uses the title ID "DVDX", which System Menu 4.2x deletes on every boot.
    If your Wii has System Menu 4.2x installed, you will have to disable it
    from deleting it (there is a preloader hack you can use to do this).

Would this stop an install?

And maybe this...

The 0.6 hackmii installer is out now and should resolve any of these problems on top of making a HBC with a new title ID to get around 4.2

I am trying to play a copied game (neogamma13, 15 too)

Neogamma displays the title alright, but then a flash of green and then nothing (black screen) hang or freeze.

I didn't find any Veratin DVD-r to burn with imgburn yet but used 4 brands so far, Maxwell as well

Maybe I should have waited and found and burned the recommended brand to see if that works before this post, but I feel its not the brand I have been trying...?

I didn't try Waninkoko cIOS rev 16 yet (This is needed for backups to play?)

Notes

I am using this SD card

Code:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+2GB+Secure+Digital+Memory+Card/7640699.p?skuId=7640699&id=1134698297631
    Still tying to put this together.

I read that some "players" will not need for the game to be patched and some do, some will work better unpatched?

Not many here have trouble installing DVDx

Should all the newest files be in the pack I e-mailed for?

If the "bug restore" didn't work, would neogamma even load still?

ex

DVDx2

I turned of wiiconnect24 before running Bannerbomb

If I was to start the hack all over I would do a Wii format? (What would happen to the IOS changes, would the next hack not find them?

Do I have to "specially" format my wii HDD to backup wii games to play from the HDD?

No big problem, but is it possible to save the two SNES games I bought/downloaded from N
    or do they have to go with the format?

Any help would be great!

I't hard to ask a question when you read and still don't really know what to ask.

I know this is all over the place, but this is where I am at right now..and though I would ask all at once to avoid clutter

Pls go easy on me, my nerves are shot from error codes, green and black screens, thank GOD I got some emu's to work...xD

eye123

[​IMG]

2. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    don't need dvdx cIOS249 is what allows you to play backups

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    if u prefer, wii games can also be put on a fat32 partition using wii backup manager (or equivalent backup manager). NTFS is also supported but can only read games off HD, not write to the harddrive (in other words, u wont be able to copy a disk game to your NTFS formatted hard drive via the wii)

4. eye123
    OP

Newcomer eye123 Member

Canada

Thanks for the reply longtom1

This part of the tutorial will install cIOS (249) for me, right?

Following the Tutorial for...

Modify 4.2
    The actual hacking guide. Only will work for those on a 4.2 firmware.

Installing cIOS & Patching the System Menu IOS
    Run WAD Manager 1.5
    Press + on whatever cIOS's you want installed.

I recommend the following for disc loading:
    cIOS202[38+60]-v4.wad
    cIOS222[38+37]-v4.wad
    cIOS223[38]-v4.wad
    cIOS249-v14.wad
    cIOS250-v14.wad
    IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad

I recommend the following for USB loading:
    cIOS202[38+60]-v4.wad
    cIOS222[38+37]-v4.wad
    cIOS223[38]-v4.wad
    cIOS249-v15.wad or cIOS249-v16.wad
    cIOS250-v15.wad or cIOS250-v16.wad
    Install IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad

Thanks for the reply DeadlyFoez...

What backup loader do you suggest or recommend

Thanks xflak40 for the reply..

Your reply also cleared things up and thanks for the link!

Once you backup a wii game disc to a usb Hdd, you load it with what app or manager or with HBC?

(New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-USA-Wii-QwiiF)

I am just trying to play the new Super Mario game I downloaded and patched and where I "found" it members say they got it working with "neogammar8beta13 and cios38_rev14 ... I also forced ntsc 480i .. after that no more pink screen"

and

"Wii Softmod NeoGamma8rev14 works"

That is why I was going in that direction being a 50% green horn/noob

Man, a tutorial would be great starting with the modify 4.2 and showing the steps to getting this new game to work..

I want to make one if I ever figure this one out, or smash my wii, whichever comes first!

There are 6 people in my family that want to get this working also plus MANY more friends and co-workers, this is why we all bought wii's in the first place and all the games are sold out, they all updated to new 4.2 U so I did too to figure it out!

They are all turning to me because I softmod original xbox's and psp's for them, wii hacking is insane!

Thanks for the patience with this 50% noob...you are helping lots of nrevous people out guys!

eye123

[​IMG]

5. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    yes that part of the guide will install IOs249 for you

Neogamma is the best backup loader for disk's

6. buby78

Member buby78 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i got NSMB to work for me with uloader 2d i think and 38rev14 but if you what to use a hdd i use config usb loader v41 and 38rev14

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well you seem to have read through at least some of my guide since you quoted a part of it in your opening post, but it still feels like you haven't gone through all of it especially if you still thought dvdx was needed for backups and not a cIOS.

Also the issues I was referring to with that 0.6 hackmii installer fixing was the crap with the older installers bootmii not making a directly working nand backup and saying it's from a different Wii and stuff like that. Had you not taken it out of context it should have made more sense.

There's a thread about pretty much every method of getting NSMB working possible listed in the opening post. Search something like new super mario bros, all infos or something.

8. eye123
    OP

Newcomer eye123 Member

Canada
    Thanks for the info buby78 (I will work on the disk loading part but that WBFS manager 3.0 looks good to!)

Thanks for the reply nabster92

I did a search for New Mario and such but not much comes up...

I work nights and put in over 30 hours of reading, I think reading the older posts, without really knowing what is new now, is confusing to a noob like me.

This is a great site for noobs, I only read one or two flamings here so far...xD

(The modify.zip I e-mailed for, and Thanks again for the files, contains all the newest files, I am not at home...because it asked me to upgrade HBC, I did..should I get the newest Bootmii .06, but I can update HBC and Bootmii through HBC , right?

If I can run neogamma, that means I did the cIOS249 thing right?

If I was to do xzxero's 4.2 modify hack again, over the same one, would things screw up?

I guess when I get to the Trucha Bug restore part, it would "say" it's there already or would it just overwrite it again?

I ask because of my DVDx install trouble, it said it installed and can be installed but really dosen't)

I can run neogamma, so that means I did the cIOS249-v14.wad right (thanks for the info longtom1)

Well I got some Verbatim DVD-r to burn my patched "New Mario" iso with imgburn at 2x and will try neogamma to laod it.

It should work, right..xD

Thanks again!

eye123

9. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Running NeoGamma doesn't mean your cIOS is properly installed. It should say something like cIOS rev 14 at the bottom of NeoGamma if it is installed. It will always run regardless, but it won't play a backup game without the cIOS installed properly. Running the guide over again shouldn't cause any problems. Everything will just install over the same thing. Did you forget to go through the cIOS stub removal process? If you didn't remove the stubs first, you wouldn't have been able to install the cIOS wad's over them and you would've gotten some error.

And as I said in my guide, dvdx isn't necessary at all. Skip it. Don't worry about it. That cIOS 202 wad that you install with xzxero's package makes it pretty much irrelevant AFAIK. That cIOS alone should be enough to play dvd movies and such with media player CE or something.

Also yes you should be automatically prompted to update the HBC through the HBC if you have an older version and an internet connection.