Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
5 years of DS roms
16th June 2010- the 5 year anniverary
June 16 2010

In the midst of the current E3 information flow and talk of new games, console successors and the future of gaming we should find ourselves looking to the past. Today is a special day for the DS scene as it marks the 5 year anniversary of the first proper DS release. There were releases of tools, demos, documents and nuke releases made before it but this is where it all kicked off for most people.
In honour of such an event we here at GBAtemp are going to do a feature series on the DS releases starting Monday- five years in five days which corresponds to the roughly 5000 full releases we have since seen.

The release of course was Electroplankton_JPN_NDS-TRM and going round to the 15th of the next year it ended with Digimon_Story_JPN_NDS-WRG, looking back it was a fairly quiet year compared to the times we now find ourselves in with only around 500 valid releases happening.

It would take until about the same time in September that saw the release of "NDS Patcher v0.1 by ]{ain" that allowed the majority of people to play such releases (previously only those who forked out a considerable amount of cash for a neoflash cart that could play a select few hacked DS roms) on hardware. Games could still (just about) be played though as a couple of days after this release saw version of ensata (Nintendo's own emulator) cracked and leaked by the folks in SMT (silver moon team).
While this was not the first hint/release of DS homebrew- the first work from Darkfader on such a front happened in January, the passme appeared in February and flashme in April it was none the less a momentous occasion.
WRG's loadme (we imagine many of those around for those days are not sad to see the back of that naming method) and flash cart companies, names that today are staples of the flash cart world were frequently newcomers or did not even exist, patching their own games and with it the rise in compatibility would happen in late October/November time.

The rest as they say is history.

Animated history of the DS

discuss.png
Discuss

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations for 5 years of awesome (even though I have only been here since early 2009). The DS is still chugging along and I'm hoping for another year or 2 of steady releases and a awesome community
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
!

Deleted member 94204

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember when they were called flash carts not cards and they also called them flash linkers. I remember when roms had to actually be flashed onto a flash card not dragged and dropped on a sd card. I remember looking up reviews for carts on http://www.gameboy-advance.net/. Although after getting screwed over at a few shops the first flash cart I actually got was an EZ3in1 and the first flash card was a DS-Xtreme.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Proud owner of a Supercard SD
happy.gif

I remember when we had to CONVERT our .NDS files to .DSQ and use trial and error to get the right converting options...and then hours later find out that we needed a flashcart update
rolleyes.gif

then i got a R4

then the DSi Came along.

then I got a AceKard 2i
tongue.gif

it's been quite a wild ride....
pirate.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Four score and several thousand ROMs ago, a new group was born. From the troll topic Advance_Wars_2_JAP_GBA-TRaSHMaN creating the name to one of the largest and infamous release groups ever.

respects to speechles, thug, dec0ded, and those who made the group great. no greets/respects to those who led to its peril.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.