5 must-have homebrew apps for a modded Switch

GBAtemp_Modded_Switch_Must_Haves.png

So you’ve managed to get your hands on a mod-able Switch and went ahead with the modding process. Now what? Which apps are worthy of your attention and why so?

Well, you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we share our 5 must-haves for the general modded Switch owner. Read on!

1. Edizon

edizon.jpg

To manage and backup your saves, Edizon by @WerWolv is the tool for you! Its 3 main features, as per the official overview, are as follows:

Save file management
  • Extraction of game saves.
  • Injection of extracted game saves (Your own and your friends save files).
  • Uploading of savefiles directly to https://anonfile.com.
  • Batch extraction of all save files of all games on the system.
Save file editing
  • Easy to use, scriptable and easily expandable on-console save editing.
  • Lua and Python script support.
  • Built-in save editor updater.
On-the-fly memory editing
  • Cheat Engine like RAM editing.
  • Freezing of values in RAM via Atmosphère's cheat module.
  • Interface for loading, managing and updating Atmosphère cheats.
ediz 1.JPG

ediz 2.JPG

Head to our official thread for a step-by-step guide and join the discussion!

:arrow: Official GBAtemp thread

2. RetroArch

retro.JPG

To relieve games from consoles of yesteryear, Retroarch is a must-have on the Switch. This multi-system frontend allows you to install various retro consoles from the NES to the Dreamcast as cores and play them right on the Switch. To get started, check out the video below or join our official thread.

If you prefer standalone apps for emulating retro consoles, check out our previous article where we listed our 5 favourite ones.

3. Tesla

tesla logo.png

Another useful app from @WerWolv is Tesla. It’s an overlay menu for the Switch that serves as a frontend for sysmodules. It allows the user to select other overlays to be loaded. It’s also a tool for developers to create new overlays. Tesla also supports other apps such as Emuiibo and Freebird for additional functionality and clocking features.

fdfWAXw.jpg

We have an official thread with a setup guide and download links.

4. ChoiDuJourNX

choinx.png

ChoidujourNX is another tool required for every modded Switch owner. This homebrew app from rajkosto lets you upgrade or downgrade your Nintendo Switch’s right on the console. You’ll find an FAQ as well as links to the latest version in our official thread below.

choix 1.png

choix 2.png choix 3.png

5. Goldleaf

goldleaf logo.JPG

This multipurpose homebrew app from @XorTroll functions similarly to FBI for the Nintendo 3DS. It allows you to browse your console memory, SD card, manage your content and more. It can also come in handy for backups, so you’ll want to look into this app. More details can be found in our official thread linked below.

gl 1.jpg

_______________​

Of course, the apps you’re looking for depends on why you modded your Switch in the first place. If you didn’t find your favorite homebrew app here, let us know which ones you would include in this list!

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tesla is not a frontend for sysmodules. Tesla is a whole environment which includes nx-ovlloader (sysmodule), Tesla menu (so called frontend) and libtesla (library for creating overlays). It's slightly misleading by writing sysmodule in plural.

And don't recommend ChoiDojourNX for downgrading. It introduces many random issues. Use Daybreak with newest Atmosphere.

Last edited by masagrator,

shinwg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend that users of SX OS and ReiNX temporarily switch to Atmosphere for system updates with Daybreak. For the reasons I listed above, it's much safer than Choi.

That being said, I never had any problems with Choi before Daybreak, and one is likely to be okay using it, but there's still a chance of running into problems that you wouldn't otherwise run into using Daybreak. Daybreak is recommended.
What about Sxox mariko can I use daybreak

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I feel 2 isn't exactly a must have (unless you really want emulators) and replace it with sys-clk, since a lot of Switch games need the performance boost.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For the people that never heard about Daybreak, it's fine as it was released with Atmosphere 0.14 literally 10 days ago. Once you update to Atmosphere 0.14 it'll show up in your homebrew menu. It was developed by Adubbz and it hooks into the new Atmosphere APIs released in the same version (this means any homebrew can hook up into these APIs and update your console safely, not only Daybreak). I already tested Daybreak and updating is considerably faster and simpler than with Choi (not to mention way safer).

And for the people that "never had problems with Choi", this literally means nothing. Choi's implementation is dangerous and any decent updating guide will tell this to you in the first line in very big letters.

Choi served it's purposes very well, but let it rest in peace now.

Last edited by evertonstz,

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
www.bit.ly
XP
Country
Philippines
Well, my current folder includes:
  • 90DSN Testing Utility Checks if you correctly applied the 90DNS to your internet configuration and if they are working correctly.
  • Amiigo A GUI for the Emuiibo service (Emuiibo is an Amiibo emulator).
  • Awoo Installer Installs NSP/NSZ files.
  • BroseNX Web browser (doesn't work on applet mode).
  • Checkpoint Save files back-up/restoration manager.
  • Cheats Updater Updates your cheat files for installed games.
  • ChoiDujourNX Updagrade/downgrade your firmware version.
  • Daybreak ChoiDujourNX done right.
  • eBookReader A multi-format reader for text-based files.
  • EdiZon Save files and cheat manager.
  • FTPD FTP client.
  • Goldleaf Installs NSP files, files manager, web browser and more.
  • HB App Store App Homebrew apps market.
  • Homebrew Details Explore and update homebrew apps.
  • JKSV Save files and file manager.
  • ldnmitm LAN play server/client.
  • NX Activity Log Detailed and uch more accurate information about your play sessions.
  • NX-Shell File manager.
  • nxdumptool Dump your cartriges into NSP files.
  • nxmtp Explore your console and SD card from your computer without unplugging or turning the Switch off (you need a USB-C cable to plug your console into you computer).
  • RetroArch Multi-console emulation hub.
  • SwitchTime Manage the internal clock of the console (not the same you can change on the system menu)
  • SysDVR Service to stream Switch games into your PC.

For Tesla, I have these overlays:
  • Text Reader Read TXT files from the overlay.
  • Emuiibo Manages the Amiibo emulation service.
  • EdiZon Displays sistem information and manages the cheat files.
  • Status Monitor Displays very detailed and accurate information about the system on real time.
  • ShareNX Uploads screeshots and gives you the URL to share it.
  • ReverseNX-RT Changes between handled and docked mode.

I also have Lakka installed, the Lan Play service enabled and SaltyNX running on the background
How is Daybreak better than ChoiDuJourNX?

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't really agree with number 2 and number 5.

I have a Switch and no RetroArch, it's not a mush have.

As for GoldLeaf I semi agree, I prefer using TinFoil even though I GoldLeaf installed as alternative option.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh I kinda disagree with the list it is a good list however here is some things.

Edizon - Not everyone is interested in cheating in the game (I never used it)
Tesla - Some people just play their games regularly like how a normal person would play the switch (I never used it)
Goldleaf- It's okay but I kinda like Tinfoil better since that's the only program that I could get working for USB Transfer for games with via NUT. I tried with goldleaf and it never worked (I can agree with this it depends on the end user)
Choi- I'm 50/50 on this one because if you don't know what you are doing you can seriously damage/brick your switch
Retroarch - It's become kinda the standard emulator my only complaint with this that it feels cloggy I personally prefer stand alone emulators but ehh it is pretty useful.

Here is my personal starter kit list

Checkpoint- You can backup your saves just in case you need a good backup if you run into problems on your switch.
NXMTP or the other one just like it - You can access your files via usb (only work on small files)
NX-Shell - If you want to do some house keeping and configure your folder set up
NXDumptool - If you want to dump your own cartridge (I never used it but for legal purposes lets just say it is essential of backing up your own games)
Incognito/90NDS - To block you from Nintendo Servers to prevent you from getting banned, (Yes Incognito is a actual homebrew app)

I think these 5 are kinda essential to have and if you wanna get emulators or modify the settings on your switch those are kinda non essential because you may have a group of people who don't like using retroarch or like cheating or modifying the actual game for performance improvements. I play all my switch games from stock mode and I hardly use the emulators I never used Edizon or Tesla before I never got into trying to pick and poke at my switch too deep. I'm fine playing my games on 30FPS lol

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Seems like this was written by someone behind on the scene.

Daybreak beats Choi, because of integrity. It's new, so I can see you missing that.

Edizon has a nasty habit of forcing cheats into your game when all you might want to do is back up your saves (checkpoint ftw!)

Tesla is not as necessary as many others that I can think of, unless you want to use it to apply some of masagrator's game patches at the expense of battery life. (I'm a fan, but not a must-have)

Goldleaf is a niche-use for me, when it comes to manually inserting NAND-based save data into my emummc. Otherwise it's totally Tinfoil. I know we are supposed to hate blawar, but don't mistake his work for your political/social undoing.

Really surprised ftp wasn't mentioned once in this post.

Also HB App store

Reactions: AlexMCS

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
These choi vs daybreak discussions have made me quite paranoid..I didnt know about daybreak being a firmware updater homebrew like choi. I updated my switch from 9.2 to 10.1 with choi maybe around a week ago..there isnt any problem at all currently..but should I be worried? Should I reupdate with daybreak?you guys keep talking about daybreak having more integrity etc than choi. Could my update with choi cause future problems because of the integrity lroblem etc? Thanks.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These choi vs daybreak discussions have made me quite paranoid..I didnt know about daybreak being a firmware updater homebrew like choi. I updated my switch from 9.2 to 10.1 with choi maybe around a week ago..there isnt any problem at all currently..but should I be worried? Should I reupdate with daybreak?you guys keep talking about daybreak having more integrity etc than choi. Could my update with choi cause future problems because of the integrity lroblem etc? Thanks.
I don't know what is the risk but know this: Choi was the only game in town until daybreak came along just days ago and had you hear people crying over damage cause by Choi? Anyone who can't update the Nintendo way (everyone with CFW?) had to have used Choi before daybreak was available. What is safer? Something that is time tested by the general public or something that is in theory safer. Wasn't Titanic unsinkable?
PS: Don't get me wrong. I will try Daybreak the next time I want to update my firmware. I will backup my Nand first though. It hasn't gain my trust yet. :)

Last edited by TomSwitch,

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know what is the risk but know this: Choi was the only game in town until daybreak came along just days ago and had you hear people crying over damage cause by Choi? Anyone who can't update the Nintendo way (everyone with CFW?) had to have used Choi before daybreak was available. What is safer? Something that is time tested by the general public or something that is in theory safer. Wasn't Titanic unsinkable?
PS: Don't get me wrong. I will try Daybreak the next time I want to update my firmware. I will backup my Nand first though. It hasn't gain my trust yet. :)
There are quite a few people going online with cfw, myself included, that can just use the normal nintendo way.
Only if you do things considered unsafe, like installing nsps, where you shouldn't go online, or if you need to downgrade, you need daybrake or choi.
Also everybody banned already should also be able to just update the nintendo way, since a banned switch still is allowed to download updates.

This is also the reason I wouldn't see daybrake or choi as a must have homebrew app, since its just usefull in specific situations.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
www.bit.ly
XP
Country
Philippines
With regards to the issue between Daybreak and ChoiDuJourNX, SciresM was quoted to stating these at Reddit:

"1. It's not safe. It installs and deletes in a way where something goes wrong in the middle of the process you can end up with partially installed updates or corruption. This happens more than you think.
2. It doesn't reliably update the BIS partitions containing package1/package2 correctly.
3. It will brick your device when run on Mariko because it always flashes erista firmware.
4. Its developer does not maintain it and has not been around for a year or so."

Bottom line: It's time to make a switch to Daybreak from ChoiDuJourNX.

Last edited by Dothackjhe,
Reactions: AlexMCS and tabzer

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With regards to the issue between Daybreak and ChoiDuJourNX, SciresM was quoted to stating these at Reddit:

"1. It's not safe. It installs and deletes in a way where something goes wrong in the middle of the process you can end up with partially installed updates or corruption. This happens more than you think.
2. It doesn't reliably update the BIS partitions containing package1/package2 correctly.
3. It will brick your device when run on Mariko because it always flashes erista firmware.
4. Its developer does not maintain it and has not been around for a year or so."

Bottom line: It's time to make a switch to Daybreak from ChoiDuJourNX.

I've just updated my firmware from 9.20 to 10.1 around a week ago with choi. My switch is unpatched v1 switch.Everything works well now..your first and 2nd point instill paranoia in me. Should I reupdate with daybreak or not? Will there be problems in the future if I dont reupdate with daybreak?

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
www.bit.ly
XP
Country
Philippines
Daybreak is just a fairly recently introduction in the scene. I, myself, had been using ChoiDuJourNX in the past when it comes to system firmware updates with no problem at all. But I'm personally switching to Daybreak moving forward because of SciresM's statement about ChoiDuJourNX. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu