1. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Poland
    Tesla is not a frontend for sysmodules. Tesla is a whole environment which includes nx-ovlloader (sysmodule), Tesla menu (so called frontend) and libtesla (library for creating overlays). It's slightly misleading by writing sysmodule in plural.

And don't recommend ChoiDojourNX for downgrading. It introduces many random issues. Use Daybreak with newest Atmosphere.

Last edited by masagrator, Aug 11, 2020
  2. Soulsilve2010

Soulsilve2010 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm pretty fond of Checkpoint for save managing myself

tabzer and slaphappygamer like this.
  3. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I never had issues with exFat either, but changed to FAT32 anyway.
    Better safe than sorry.
    Don't use Choi anymore.

Skirlez likes this.
  4. shinwg

shinwg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What about Sxox mariko can I use daybreak

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Daybreak itself is already compatible with Mariko units, but Atmosphere is not. So, in short, no, you cannot use Daybreak with Mariko units right now.

6. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    I feel 2 isn't exactly a must have (unless you really want emulators) and replace it with sys-clk, since a lot of Switch games need the performance boost.

7. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    I use whatever works

I have no loyalty

8. evertonstz

evertonstz GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    For the people that never heard about Daybreak, it's fine as it was released with Atmosphere 0.14 literally 10 days ago. Once you update to Atmosphere 0.14 it'll show up in your homebrew menu. It was developed by Adubbz and it hooks into the new Atmosphere APIs released in the same version (this means any homebrew can hook up into these APIs and update your console safely, not only Daybreak). I already tested Daybreak and updating is considerably faster and simpler than with Choi (not to mention way safer).

And for the people that "never had problems with Choi", this literally means nothing. Choi's implementation is dangerous and any decent updating guide will tell this to you in the first line in very big letters.

Choi served it's purposes very well, but let it rest in peace now.

Last edited by evertonstz, Aug 12, 2020
    Cyan, Charli, tabzer and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dothackjhe

Dothackjhe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    How is Daybreak better than ChoiDuJourNX?

10. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    splymb likes this.
  11. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Don't really agree with number 2 and number 5.

I have a Switch and no RetroArch, it's not a mush have.

As for GoldLeaf I semi agree, I prefer using TinFoil even though I GoldLeaf installed as alternative option.

12. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ehh I kinda disagree with the list it is a good list however here is some things.

Edizon - Not everyone is interested in cheating in the game (I never used it)
    Tesla - Some people just play their games regularly like how a normal person would play the switch (I never used it)
    Goldleaf- It's okay but I kinda like Tinfoil better since that's the only program that I could get working for USB Transfer for games with via NUT. I tried with goldleaf and it never worked (I can agree with this it depends on the end user)
    Choi- I'm 50/50 on this one because if you don't know what you are doing you can seriously damage/brick your switch
    Retroarch - It's become kinda the standard emulator my only complaint with this that it feels cloggy I personally prefer stand alone emulators but ehh it is pretty useful.

Here is my personal starter kit list

Checkpoint- You can backup your saves just in case you need a good backup if you run into problems on your switch.
    NXMTP or the other one just like it - You can access your files via usb (only work on small files)
    NX-Shell - If you want to do some house keeping and configure your folder set up
    NXDumptool - If you want to dump your own cartridge (I never used it but for legal purposes lets just say it is essential of backing up your own games)
    Incognito/90NDS - To block you from Nintendo Servers to prevent you from getting banned, (Yes Incognito is a actual homebrew app)

I think these 5 are kinda essential to have and if you wanna get emulators or modify the settings on your switch those are kinda non essential because you may have a group of people who don't like using retroarch or like cheating or modifying the actual game for performance improvements. I play all my switch games from stock mode and I hardly use the emulators I never used Edizon or Tesla before I never got into trying to pick and poke at my switch too deep. I'm fine playing my games on 30FPS lol

13. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Seems like this was written by someone behind on the scene.

Daybreak beats Choi, because of integrity. It's new, so I can see you missing that.

Edizon has a nasty habit of forcing cheats into your game when all you might want to do is back up your saves (checkpoint ftw!)

Tesla is not as necessary as many others that I can think of, unless you want to use it to apply some of masagrator's game patches at the expense of battery life. (I'm a fan, but not a must-have)

Goldleaf is a niche-use for me, when it comes to manually inserting NAND-based save data into my emummc. Otherwise it's totally Tinfoil. I know we are supposed to hate blawar, but don't mistake his work for your political/social undoing.

Really surprised ftp wasn't mentioned once in this post.

Also HB App store

AlexMCS likes this.
  14. miss_nakano

miss_nakano GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    These choi vs daybreak discussions have made me quite paranoid..I didnt know about daybreak being a firmware updater homebrew like choi. I updated my switch from 9.2 to 10.1 with choi maybe around a week ago..there isnt any problem at all currently..but should I be worried? Should I reupdate with daybreak?you guys keep talking about daybreak having more integrity etc than choi. Could my update with choi cause future problems because of the integrity lroblem etc? Thanks.

15. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu DS Pokémon Fan

Australia
    Where's Checkpoint?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Why are we supposed to hate that guy?

16. TomSwitch

TomSwitch GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know what is the risk but know this: Choi was the only game in town until daybreak came along just days ago and had you hear people crying over damage cause by Choi? Anyone who can't update the Nintendo way (everyone with CFW?) had to have used Choi before daybreak was available. What is safer? Something that is time tested by the general public or something that is in theory safer. Wasn't Titanic unsinkable?
    PS: Don't get me wrong. I will try Daybreak the next time I want to update my firmware. I will backup my Nand first though. It hasn't gain my trust yet. :)

Last edited by TomSwitch, Aug 12, 2020
  17. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    There are quite a few people going online with cfw, myself included, that can just use the normal nintendo way.
    Only if you do things considered unsafe, like installing nsps, where you shouldn't go online, or if you need to downgrade, you need daybrake or choi.
    Also everybody banned already should also be able to just update the nintendo way, since a banned switch still is allowed to download updates.

This is also the reason I wouldn't see daybrake or choi as a must have homebrew app, since its just usefull in specific situations.

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  18. Dothackjhe

Philippines
    With regards to the issue between Daybreak and ChoiDuJourNX, SciresM was quoted to stating these at Reddit:

"1. It's not safe. It installs and deletes in a way where something goes wrong in the middle of the process you can end up with partially installed updates or corruption. This happens more than you think.
    2. It doesn't reliably update the BIS partitions containing package1/package2 correctly.
    3. It will brick your device when run on Mariko because it always flashes erista firmware.
    4. Its developer does not maintain it and has not been around for a year or so."

Bottom line: It's time to make a switch to Daybreak from ChoiDuJourNX.

Last edited by Dothackjhe, Aug 12, 2020
    AlexMCS and tabzer like this.
  19. miss_nakano

miss_nakano GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I've just updated my firmware from 9.20 to 10.1 around a week ago with choi. My switch is unpatched v1 switch.Everything works well now..your first and 2nd point instill paranoia in me. Should I reupdate with daybreak or not? Will there be problems in the future if I dont reupdate with daybreak?

20. Dothackjhe

Philippines
    Daybreak is just a fairly recently introduction in the scene. I, myself, had been using ChoiDuJourNX in the past when it comes to system firmware updates with no problem at all. But I'm personally switching to Daybreak moving forward because of SciresM's statement about ChoiDuJourNX. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - homebrew, modded, Switch