Hacking 5.00 M33 (Anyway to stay on this firmware and run 6.60 games)

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I know. I've heard about Prometheus rev4 and all that stuff but I'm looking to play 6.60 Official PSN Eboot games.
Some say I need 6.60 to play them, my question is...is it possible to be on firmware 5.00 M33 and still run 6.60 games?
Like without any bugs or anything of the sort? I really like everything that's made for 5.00 M33 firmware. I want my entire
collection to be on my one PSP, AND I want to be on 5.00 M33 running custom home screens (that I've put together),
custom themes with CXMB and of course use many of the programs and plugins made for the firmware.

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Prome firmwares where made to backport features from later 6.XX firmwares in a time when those where not exploitable.
When the 6.20 exploits happened this changed so it became pointless to backport features/compat since you could just run CFW on the latest firmware.

All this to say that no you can't but if you really wanted to you could run 6.61 from memory stick and have 5.00 in NAND then just boot between them I guess.

Reactions: BigDaddyWeaves

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know, I know. I've heard about Prometheus rev4 and all that stuff but I'm looking to play 6.60 Official PSN Eboot games.
Some say I need 6.60 to play them, my question is...is it possible to be on firmware 5.00 M33 and still run 6.60 games?
Like without any bugs or anything of the sort? I really like everything that's made for 5.00 M33 firmware. I want my entire
collection to be on my one PSP, AND I want to be on 5.00 M33 running custom home screens (that I've put together),
custom themes with CXMB and of course use many of the programs and plugins made for the firmware.
Yes.
Old guide but I did something similar I believe: http://wololo.net/2014/07/13/psp-how-to-patch-new-games-with-iso-tool-for-m33gen-users-by-vitaboss/
My PSP is stuck on 5.00 M33 as it has no battery and the firmware upgrade won't proceed without a battery charged up. So I had no choice but to patch the game I wanted to try out. Which turned out not to be for me so back into storage the PSP went. I don't know if this works with the "newest" games, but as not much has changed with the PSP in years, I'd assume so.

Reactions: BigDaddyWeaves

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fate6 So in your opinion you'd just go with an updated firmware? I only ask because I make custom home screens for
5.00 M33 firmware. I keep one PSP on 5.00 M33 all the time for theming purposes (I do themes too) and it's much easier to work in 5.00 than 6.60 or 6.61 for that matter. I have about 5 PSP's just wanted to make sure what I was asking wasn't possible because if it was I would use 5.00 M33 as my main firmware on all of my PSP's not 6.60 (which is currently what I make themes for - PS Vita Adrenaline and 6.60 and of course like I said 5.00 M33).
@The Real Jdbye Thanks for your input I think I'll just stick with my current set up. And keep one PSP on 5.00 M33 and do all my initial theming and home screen hacks on that, and stick with the 6.60 PSP 3K for holding my game library. I find it's the best firmware (6.60 Pro-C fix 3 I believe is what I'm on with Infinity installed).

fate6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just go with the latest firmwares but I don't make themes so our use case is a little bit different but since you have a few different systems just keep one on 6.61 for games?

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fate6 Yes I will keep one on 5.00 M33 (for theming), one on 6.60 for testing themes and one on 6.61 for games, although many people ask for 6.61 theme converts when I release 5.00 M33 / 6.60 Pro-C / Adrenaline themes.

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Prome firmwares where made to backport features from later 6.XX firmwares in a time when those where not exploitable.
When the 6.20 exploits happened this changed so it became pointless to backport features/compat since you could just run CFW on the latest firmware.

All this to say that no you can't but if you really wanted to you could run 6.61 from memory stick and have 5.00 in NAND then just boot between them I guess.
NAND boot between them? how would I go about doing that? Is there a guide? I know I can swap between certain firmwares with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher is it something like that?

fate6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NAND boot between them? how would I go about doing that? Is there a guide? I know I can swap between certain firmwares with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher is it something like that?

Look up "Time Machine", Its for installing a firmwares into the memory stick then you boot either from NAND or from MS.
iirc you can even run more then one firmware from the memory stick and just select which to boot from a menu but its been a long time since I have used it, If I had to compare it to anything newer it would be like emuNAND that 3DS/Switch use.

Im typing this out from memory as I used to use this since my 2k had a corrupt NAND that was beyond saving.

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38203

Check around the bottom of the first post for a link to it, im sure Zett has a video on it if you want a video guide.

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fate6 DId you not have a pandora battery to fix your corrupt 2k NAND? (Or is that something that can't be fixed by a simple flash of a brand new flash0, 1, 2 etc etc?

fate6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fate6 DId you not have a pandora battery to fix your corrupt 2k NAND? (Or is that something that can't be fixed by a simple flash of a brand new flash0, 1, 2 etc etc?

No it was not fixable in any way iirc, I used that PSP to learn about hacking so I used to brick it by messing with the firmware then fixing it with pandora.
Eventually it would just freeze when trying to format f0.

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow @fate6 that sucks. I only mess with CXMB and swap out different custom home screen hacks I've made and saved on my memory card. I have 3 firmwares
- Super Mario Bros. 3 w/ 5.00 M33-6 Prometheus rev4
- Pokémon Starter Sprites w/ 5.00 M33-6 Prometheus rev4
and then just a normal 5.00 M33-6 w/ Prometheus rev4

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

You're forgetting all the homebrew software that doesn't run well on 6.XX like irShell and others. So there's still valid reason to use 5.00 M33-6 (aside from it being the last CFW from the almighty Dark_Alex). I still have it on my 1K model. Also, you suck fate6, go back to your mom's basement.

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Acid_Snake I agree with you that 5.00 M33 runs certain homebrew much easier and better than 6.XX models. I literally have 5 PSP's.
- 1 PSP 1K
- 3 PSP 2K
and 1 PSP 3K
I have 5.00 M33 installed on my original phat PSP 1K and one of my 2K's as well. I use the 2K for theme creating purposes.
If you notice some of my threads you'll see that I have quite a few listed and up for download.
If you could Snake could you suggest some homebrew that runs on 5.00 M33 only?
I've been all around the web and it's hard to find anyone with anything older (the stuff I use for theming is all outdated BUT still does the job.
I love the Ball Revamped port for the PSP and still trying to understand the 2048 game lol also Lamecraft is very interesting.
Don't be mean to @fate6 he's only trying to give me options if I knew how to do what he suggested I would do it, but sadly I haven't got the slightest clue.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you could Snake could you suggest some homebrew that runs on 5.00 M33 only?
The only one that comes to mind is irShell, which is the reason I still have 5.00 on my 1K. There are most likely others (probably 1.XX homebrew that requires leda). It's really hard to have a list as nobody has seem to try doing a compatibility list.

Don't be mean to @fate6 he's only trying to give me options if I knew how to do what he suggested I would do it, but sadly I haven't got the slightest clue.
I was joking, I know fate6 very well, we go way back. Doesn't change the fact that he sucks though xD.

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ME has LEDA even on 6.61 so.....
I know snek from way back on wololo so that just him deflecting his own suckyness :)

@BigDaddyWeaves

Here's a video on time machine if you want some info.

I've seen this video and love the stuff The Zett puts out but it confuses the holy hell out of me.
If you could shed some light on exactly WHAT he's doing I would be more than willing to boot into two different firmware depending on my needs at the current time. Glad you @fate6 and @Acid_Snake are friends lol didn't want a brawl on my post (subtle brawls ARE accepted!!) lol.

fate6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked through the comments on that and found your post actually, only thing I can think of is to make sure you installed the iplloader on the MS then you have to keep your battery set to pandora.

I would normally just do this on my own to make sure I understand it but these days I only have a PSP Go :/

Last edited by fate6,

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked through the comments on that and found your post actually, only thing I can think of is to make sure you installed the iplloader on the MS then you have to keep your battery set to pandora.

I would normally just do this on my own to make sure I understand it but these days I only have a PSP Go :/
Normally I'd be psyched to try this out but I would rather just keep one of my PSPs on 5.00 M33 and another on 6.60.
The 6.60 Pro-C being my primary PSP. So I think I have resolved my issue, by hearing your thoughts I just think I have
many PSP's so why not use them all to their full advantage(s)?! Know what I mean. I'll soon have a PSP 1K that works properly,
right now I have a 3K with a 1K battery in it, and it works flawlessly. Idk why it wasn't working with a normal 3K battery but the 1K
battery fixed her right up! Anyway I got the 3K and a 1K for 40.00 US Dollars which was an absolute steal (even the UMD drive on the
3K was working when I bought it, still is...lol) Anyway thanks for the help you guys make sure to check out the themes they're posted
somewhere on this site under SONY PSP And SONY VITA.

Reactions: fate6

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...