Hardware 480p option on wii makes picture completely blurry

uribemaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i bought some wii component cables that work just fine when the wii is in 480i but when i change it to 480p the picture becomes completely distorted. Does anybody know why this may be happening? I don't think it's the cables because like i said, it looks normal with the cables when it's in 480i. The problem is when i make it 480p. I don't know exactly how to explain what i mean when i say that it's distorted. it's sorta like this but a little less worse. If i really have to post a picture, i'll try my best to post one.

Designspiration — Chimes&Rhymes | innovative design and new techniques in visual artistry

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people prefer the look of 480i because the interlacing makes the picture look glossier. Use whatever you like better, but you lose half the motion resolution and picture density when you go interlaced because you are only seeing 240 lines per field. One plus of selecting 480i is that the virtual console games are then presented in their original resolution of 240p. Some modern TVs can't handle 240p properly, sometimes displaying 480i or just a blank screen. For the record, on my TV, a Samsung UN46C7000, I prefer 480p. Screenshots?

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It all depends on the tv.
My parrent's TV doesn't like the 480P Wii signal.
Whilst my TV does, both are sony's, but mine is newer.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
By the way:

1) At least some VC games will run at 640x480, including Ocarina of Time.
2) Progressive Scan gives WAY too many jaggies.
3) 480i and 480p have no difference to me motion-wise, even at 60FPS.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having component inputs doesn't mean the TV supports progressive mode. You can get better quality video with component in comparison to S-video and composite.

True, but the difference between S-video and 480i component is nowhere near the jump from composite to S-video.

Although, honestly, the jump is not even as big as that when going from 480i to 480p. I don't know if it's just my new HDTV handling 480i really well or 480p really badly or something else entirely, but I can barely tell the difference.

My component cable is multisystem, and using the same cable for 720p 1080i or 1080p on PS3 or 360 makes quite a noticeable jump in quality, it's a shame Nintendo didn't put in at least one of those modes, even if just scaling up an image rendered internally at 480.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way:

1) You're right about the N64 having 480i, so N64 VC games should also.
2) If those jaggies are in the signal, I want to see them. On an HDTV, 480i activates the deinterlacing circuit, which softens jaggies by interpolation, but introduces additional input lag.
3) A true interlaced signal does have choppier motion than progressive, but either you're not very sensitive to it, or your TV has processed it out. An unprocessed 480i signal shows only 240 lines every 60th of a second instead of 480, so half the picture information is thrown out. Interlaced signals were chosen during the original development of television to reduce signal bandwidth and transmission power requirements. This also had the benefit of requiring less performance from the CRT, hence cheaper CRTs. True, some people prefer interlaced video, but that invention was only ever a necessary evil, nothing more.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One plus of selecting 480i is that the virtual console games are then presented in their original resolution of 240p. Some modern TVs can't handle 240p properly, sometimes displaying 480i or just a blank screen. For the record, on my TV, a Samsung UN46C7000, I prefer 480p. Screenshots?

So THAT'S why Snes VC games look unfiltered on 480p signals.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One plus of selecting 480i is that the virtual console games are then presented in their original resolution of 240p. Some modern TVs can't handle 240p properly, sometimes displaying 480i or just a blank screen. For the record, on my TV, a Samsung UN46C7000, I prefer 480p. Screenshots?

Yes, while I prefer 480p overall, the 480i setting is best for VC games. I think that Neo Geo games are 480i regardless of the setting, which is wrong. I believe the original poster's TV is a standard definition RP CRT, so it should even be possible to view the authentic scanlines on games, something which very few people appreciate, or will ever experience again.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Yes, while I prefer 480p overall, the 480i setting is best for VC games. I think that Neo Geo games are 480i regardless of the setting, which is wrong. I believe the original poster's TV is a standard definition RP CRT, so it should even be possible to view the authentic scanlines on games, something which very few people appreciate, or will ever experience again.
It's been a long time, but IIRC, that was the reason I first made ProgressiveSwitch (predecessor of SE GUI). Someone said that they wanted to swap between 480i and 480p without going into the System Menu.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
By the way:

1) You're right about the N64 having 480i, so N64 VC games should also.
2) If those jaggies are in the signal, I want to see them. On an HDTV, 480i activates the deinterlacing circuit, which softens jaggies by interpolation, but introduces additional input lag.
3) A true interlaced signal does have choppier motion than progressive, but either you're not very sensitive to it, or your TV has processed it out. An unprocessed 480i signal shows only 240 lines every 60th of a second instead of 480, so half the picture information is thrown out. Interlaced signals were chosen during the original development of television to reduce signal bandwidth and transmission power requirements. This also had the benefit of requiring less performance from the CRT, hence cheaper CRTs. True, some people prefer interlaced video, but that invention was only ever a necessary evil, nothing more.
Perfect answer, I would also like to add that, there will no real scanlines on a lcd/ plasma tv because of this reason. ( though the slg-3000 can help with that. )
In general, games remembered from the crt decade will always look "different" on a progressive display. ( all lcd/ plasma panels are natively progressive, software/hardware in your tv makes it possible for the tv to process the interlaced signal) the processing of a interlaced signal on a platpanel can give noticable latency on som tv models. This is the main reason why progressive input/ output is recommended. The tv skips the interlacing process, thus possibly reducing latency ( input lag )
Allthough not always noticeable, progressive mode will reduce screen tearing, wich is in interlaced mode.( some tv's have a hard time putting the "lines" together in sinc before outputting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr