480p on pal WII

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by downset, Jul 25, 2007.

Jul 25, 2007

480p on pal WII by downset at 4:47 PM (1,214 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. downset
    OP

Newcomer downset Member

Belgium
    two questions:

- do original pal titles also have 480p support or is the wii in the same situation as the gamecube where 480p was only available on ntsc consoles?

- if i get a wiikey or something like that and get ntcs games will they work in 480p on a pal console?

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    480p does exist in PAL Wii too.
    each game has his proper format, and sometime it's not the same from one region to another.

here is a list for some games, but it doesn't reflect all region. But It's a good start.
    http://hdgames.net/
    (edit : maybe soon on the WikiTemp if someone start it)

The Wiikey don't change the resolution, an NTSC480p is working in 480p on a pal Wii, no problem.

3. downset
    OP

Newcomer downset Member

Belgium
    thx,

thats what i needed to know, for gamecube the situation was messed up none of the pal games had 480p support, i thought i read somewhere that the same was true for wii, taht publishers left out the 480p for pal releases

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Partially true;
    http://ps3.scorpei.com/XCM_1080p.html
    Then ctrl+f : "using wii"

The VC (at least with PAL) for instance does not support 480p.

5. downset
    OP

Newcomer downset Member

Belgium
    so i got myself a wii and installed a wiikey

wii games work fine, however i cant seem to start my USA gamecube games in 480p

i tried with the original USA disk and with a backup, both didn't get recognized, then i made a backup of the same original with wiiUI (this creates a bootDVD with gcos) and set the region to PAL, now the game works, but if i choose 480p the screen just goes green, i can play the game on 60hz but no 480p, i tried this with two USA games (pikmin2 and waverace) i made all backups myself from the original disc so i'm sure everything is correct

i was hoping to be able to retire my dre ridden old little gamecube but i need my games in 480p

anyone know a workaround?

6. downset
    OP

Newcomer downset Member

Belgium
    in case anyone cares i found a solution:

i burned the config disk for wiikey and changed the region protection so it will accept ntsc disks

now most NTSC GC games boot and work in 480p

i think i can burn gcos disks in NTSC format now to be able to select 480p, i will try this later