Gaming 480p looks like shit with Mayflash Wii2HDMI adapter, and weird zoom out effect

MrStrawberries

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought the Mayflash Wii2HDMI adapter and I know that those have a bad rep but I heard the Mayflash actually works and could be used as a substitute for component cables (My TV doesn't have component input), and I know Mayflash makes good products. I pop it in my Wii and at 480i, it looks like composite cables. I'm not gonna do comparison screenshots but it definitely didn't look better. So if I'm not mistaken, you see better quality with 480p. I switch it into that and it looks absolutely awful. The text on the options menu looks far, FAR blurrier, and so does everything else including software. I checked my TV's manual, it supports 480p over HDMI, and nothing in my TV's settings talks about progressive scan or anything like that. Also, there is some small black bars on all four sides of my screen I can't get rid of (My Wii is in Widescreen and it is displaying that way). Does this adapter just suck, or is there something I am doing wrong? If the adapter does suck, is the Hyperkin cable good as a substitute?

Reactions: Stealphie

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I only had a generic Wii2HDMI and not a branded one, so I can't compare, but mine acted just like component video, slightly brighter, but that was it. There was no stretching or weird stuff going on, and unless Mayflash totally borked it and it's just badly designed (which sounds like it if reviews aren't good) the one you have should be suffering problems.

It seems all the "budget" solutions have a bit of a lottery, really. Generic Wii2HDMIs can also be pretty horrid, and more expensive solutions like the Hyperkin cable can suffer issues like going black at random and a number of people saying that they get better picture out of component cables... or even RGB, which is bonkers.

As said, you should look at every setting on your TV, it might be doing something silly.

Reactions: Draxikor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended