Hacking 480P in Jap Smash Bros?

paulie_m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to get a 480P picture on the Jap version of smash bros? My TV switches from 480p to 480i when the game starts.

theman69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dont u need to have special wires for it to work do u have those? is your tv set to 480p and can u chage the setting on your wii system settings to 480p?

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My Wii is set to run 480P, and it seems like it is running in this mode when I launch the game...

The screen does flicker quickly, is there anyway you can check what mode it's running in? I think the OSD of my LCD is pretty limited....

@theman69

Yes you need the component cables to be able to use 480P mode... If you are running composite cables you can't select 480P in the Wii settings menu if I recall correctly.

paulie_m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have component cables and my Wii is definatley running in 480P. My TV shows on screen whenever the display mode changes.

When I go into smash it flickers for a moment and then the screen shows 480i, and I can actually see it dosent look as good as it normally does. (Although it still looks very good)

slammerjam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It definately runs in 480i, some TVs including mine don't show you that the video mode was changed to 480i. Maybe the new ntsc to pal patcher will solve this problem, 480i looks horrible on my LCD.

limmy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello,
i guess you were right and SSBB Jap runs at 480i on pal wii.

To force it to run at 480p, i think you may need to use wii video mode changer.
Somebody did it to make No more Heroes US run at 480p on an pal wii.
(here is the link http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77331&st=75)
(here's what she/he has done
1. Open the ISO with Tricha
2. Extract main.dol from second partition
3. Drag on the main.dol in the executable of Wii Video Mode Changer
4. DOS terminal appear and ask you to choose video type you want
5. For 480p, choose "6" than Enter
6. Replace the modified main.dol on the iso
7. Sign in the partition
8. Burn and enjoy)

I have not tried it yet.
Let us know if you succeed to make it work.

nilsk123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yomiko said:
As it's said almost everywhere people are speaking about Jap SSBX on PAL Wii..it works only in 50hz without wii-vmc.

Haven't tried with wii-vmc and I don't want to give you unsure/unchecked infos.

Maybe try to change your Wii screen settings.

I can confirm, on my pal launch day wii:

SSBB JAP DVD9 will NOT run in 480P but 480I. Shows a weird graphical distortion for a second right after booting too. With some white lines and some green in it.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The new version of Wii Video Mode Changer has been released (v2.1) which contains a "Smart Patcher". I believe this converts all NTSC resolutions to PAL ones, and it also has SSBB support, as v2 used to crash with an error.

I will hopefully try this out this afternoon to see if it's possible to get 480P mode to work. Will keep you updated.

BTW here is the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/97833414/wii-vmc_2.1.zip

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
lombers said:
My Wii is set to run 480P, and it seems like it is running in this mode when I launch the game...

The screen does flicker quickly, is there anyway you can check what mode it's running in? I think the OSD of my LCD is pretty limited....

@theman69

Yes you need the component cables to be able to use 480P mode... If you are running composite cables you can't select 480P in the Wii settings menu if I recall correctly.

If you have a nice TV, turn deflicker off in SSBB's options.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heran Bago said:
If you have a nice TV, turn deflicker off in SSBB's options.

Thanks Heran, that does make a difference. The screen still does flicker when you launch the game from the Wii Menu, and I can confirm that it is only displaying in 480i.

Just patched the ISO, going to reburn and try now to see if Wii Video Mode Changer works...

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
may i ask, is it a significant change, cause i've got a 32"HDTV LCD but no component cables yet, i want to know if there is a significant change at all? in any game.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I can confirm that the Wii Video Mode Changer seems to make no difference with Brawl.

I have my Wii setup in 480P on my 42" LCD, and when launching Brawl from the disc menu it used to flick to 480i mode. This still occurs and the game plays as normal.

When I set my Wii to 576i mode, Brawl launches, but I get a black screen for a bit, and all of sudden it comes back but there is some weird graphical glitches happening. It also seems to slow the console down, all the menus feel very weird. Jumping back to the Wii Menu, the slowness and graphical glitches are still there. I had to power off my console and power it back up before things went back to normal.

Set to 480i mode, everything just works, but I'm pretty sure this is the case even without patching.

For reference, I patched using the Smart Mode and v2.1 of the Wii Video Mode Changer. Here's a quick summary:

Wii set to 480P --> Game switches to 480i on boot
Wii set to 480i --> Game plays as per normal
Wii set to 576i --> Game runs but very weird graphical glitches and slowness.

Hope this helps. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer for a 480P version...

paulie_m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I tried patching to 480p the game ran fine but the display was distorted.

In response to:

QUOTE said:
may i ask, is it a significant change, cause i've got a 32"HDTV LCD but no component cables yet, i want to know if there is a significant change at all? in any game.

Yes! Moving to component cables makes the picture instantly better and well defined regardless of the video mode. But when running in 480p it just looks so sharp and clear that I find it really reduces eye strain if you are playing for hours at a time and just looks really good. Well worth buying the cables if you have a decent TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte