Hardware 400GB SD Card Not Working in 3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't there a big problem with certain custom themes not working correctly due to the slowness of big cards? I didn't follow that too closely.
Yes, non-persistent theme shuffle along with GBA VC (and previously TWLoader) screen bug are the negative effects of having the wrong cluster size. The brown line on TWiLight Menu++ doesn't happen anymore when nds-bootstrap v0.9.0-RC1 was introduced, although I did manage to clip the bottom edge on the lower screen this one time launching firmware.nds (CRC32: 836C9C90, 508 KB).

Theme shuffling was not likely to work when the wrong cluster size was used, yet miraculously start working again when you switched from (32 KB ⇄ 64 KB), even when it was the same 10 themes that were picked! This bug was seen on older versions of Anemone3DS (before v2.0.0), so no word if this holds true on latest v2.1.0. I haven't touched that theme manager in months because of a previous bad habit trying to horde all the themes on theme plaza. lol.

I guess this has all been thoroughly investigated by now? I might have speculated that the 3DS could be persuaded to skip a partition by using the "hidden" and/or "active" flags.
The idea of multiple storage partitions would work in a similar fashion as having EmuNAND(s) along with the same drawback of keeping track and referring to which one.
  • "Oh yes, my Pokemanz Ultra Moon in partition X is perfectly fine. Tee hee, I mean my other copy on partition Z is the one giving me trouble."
I would legitimately rage quit if someone presented having a problem with their card but did not specify upfront they had two or more partitions. Just imagine the chaos when they fail to copy and accidentally erase their other sets of games from a reformat!

The only reasonable argument one could try to make is that this is like having two or more Nintendo 3DS folders without the above problems of having 'wrong cluster size'.
  • Example: Split a 512 GB card into four 128 GB partitions. Your one massive card now acts like a four smaller separate but still big cards.
But again, if you were to ask the Luma devs as a feature request, no way in hell they're not going to look at the proposal as anything but piracy. :creep:

Reactions: Kwyjor and Sono

Elbarto1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im having the same problem. Trying to upgrade my 128gb to a 400gb sd card.
Formatted fat32, transferred contents from 128 to 400, N2dsXL cant read the 400gb card. PC reads writes fine.
Have there been any updates on this situation?, I really just want to know if a big card like this CAN be used and Im not wasting my time. Thank you

Edit. Its a bad sd card. I tried a 512gb and its working. The fact that it reads/writes ok on PC threw me of the scent.

Last edited by Elbarto1,

FOX021093

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't berate me on "why would you want a 400gb card?" I have my reasons, and this thread is not here to debate those (it's been done plenty in other threads like this), it's to figure out why my card isn't working. I'd heard that cards up to 400gb had been tested and should technically work in a 3DS as long as they're formatted correctly, but mine isn't being read.

I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 400GB SDXC card, used MiniTool to format it to FAT32 and used 32kb cluster size. From what I'd read, that should have been all I needed to get the card to work. However, my 3DS keeps saying "There is no microSD card inserted" when I put it into the system.

I thought it might be the system's card reader, but I can insert a 32GB card that I had lying around that was also formatted for FAT32 and the 3DS reads it just fine.

Thought perhaps it might be the card, but obviously my computer can read it just fine too, else I wouldn't have been able to format it.

For reasons unknown to me, my 3DS is just refusing to read it, and I'm unsure as to why. I even tried copying the 3DS files from the 32GB card over to see if it needed help initializing the card, but that was not the case.

You just need to format the SD to fat32 with a 64bit allocation size... Converters can easily be found online. Nintendo likes Fat32... Lol

Last edited by FOX021093,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcj_tIm44k