4 Gig SD cards

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by acevampire, Nov 14, 2007.

Nov 14, 2007

4 Gig SD cards by acevampire at 11:26 PM (2,427 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. acevampire
    OP

Newcomer acevampire Member

United States
    Are 4 gigabyte SD cards compatible with the R4? If not, is there any date when they will be?

2. betawind

Member betawind GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Search function.

3. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Would it hurt much to just say "No, they are not compatible"?

Anyway there is no set date for the next kernel, which may include SDHC compatibility, although many people doubt this is possible.

4. acevampire
    OP

United States
  5. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    4gb cards are compatible but they have to be non SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, for capacities above 2 GB) cards. This type of card stop being made when the SDHC standard was Confirmed as main standard for SD cards over 2gb. SDHC cards are not compatible with the R4 as the SD slot dose not support the SDHC standard. More Information on SD card types can be found here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

6. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Dang...I found a great 4gig card for 32 bucks...
    Oh well, thanks anyways. Going to have to wait for the Cyclo to get back in stock, and who the hell knows when that'll happen.

7. betawind

United States
    Probably not, but do you want to nourish that kind of behavior? Do we really need another influx of "Does the R4 play GBA game?" type threads? No, we do not. The search function is there for multiple reasons, one of which is to help minimize duplicate topics. If you wish to talk about this any further, PM me.

8. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Where'd you find a $32 4GB MicroSD?

9. acevampire
    OP

United States
  10. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Damn, might get that for my phone. [​IMG]

11. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Fun fact for everyone.

V1.12 will NOT add SDHC compatibility to the R4, if you want to use the 4GB+ MicroSDHCs, wait until they release the new R4 with the SDHC enabled slot, or just buy a CycloDSEvo.

~Nero

12. acevampire
    OP

United States
    The cyclo is out of stock everywhere [​IMG]

13. iisdev

Newcomer iisdev Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    post deleted by author.
    reason: CNET affiliation

14. tstein

Newcomer tstein Member

United States
  15. sboi

Newcomer sboi Member

Singapore
    4gb is sdhc. will be unstable on r4

16. E-Vix

Newcomer E-Vix Member

Netherlands
    This card indeed isn't SDHC, but it also isn't MicroSD, so it physically won't fit in your R4DS.

17. betawind

United States
    If you feel that I'm a jerk, thats you're opinion, but I stand by my original statement. There have been at least a dozen topics on this same question. I'm sorry that I don't agree with your spoon feeding methodology, and that I gave an answer that, had it been followed, would have forced a new user to look for the answer on his own. Interestingly enough, if he had done that in the first place, he would have found the answer faster than we would have replied. Additionally, if you review the Forum Rules, you will see under the Forum Decency section that it clearly states to search before posting. Acevampire, all of this aside, I would really recommend taking a gander at that link, to avoid issues in the future (as there are alot of things people do that they aren't supposed to, some of which do result in bans)

Now, all that being said. I once again say that if you want to continue this further, if you want to bash/slam/insult me, if you want to call me rude, call me a jerk, or if you disagree with what I'm saying, PM me. These types of post do not contribute anything to the thread, and I am only here to re-enforce my "Search function." answer by giving proof that it was a more effective way of finding the answer and to state that the FAQ does not have the information that it was previously implied to have had.

18. acevampire
    OP

United States
    Now, I do not believe you were being rude, but I do believe that you are taking this out of hand. You have-- in the scheme of things-- contradicted your logic. You want to stop topics like this from spawning by telling the author of such a topic to use the search function (I apologize. It was my fault, but this is out of hand), yet, you could have just as easily said 'the R4 is not compatible with SDHC cards'.
    Why didn't you? You say it will stop topics like this from being created?
    Not really...I fail to see substructure for your theory. You tell one person to use the search function, but in retrospect, how much good does that do for the community as a whole? Not much.
    Not only this, but by saying 'search function', you have created more argument in a topic like this than is needed.
    Right, didn't mean to get in a flame war or anything like that.

EDIT- Again, I do admit I was wrong to not go to the search function first; and again, I apologize.

Kind Regards,
    ~Acevampire