4.82 Ferrox Cobra CFW and Webman for beginners

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials' started by Ryccardo, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    First, let's make clear that there's no one size fits all guide, this is most likely not the way to get the maximum amount of features, it's most likely not the way to dodge bans, it's probably not the most efficient way, it's not 100% compatibility (no single method is), it does not cover PSN packages - however it's decently polished and I figured it out in a couple hours of research, then I tested it :)

I also have a CECH-C (phat, nand, with PS2 CPU) console and assume you want to install stuff to the internal hard drive.
    I also assume your console is downgradable to 3.55 and fully stock (although you will be reminded of being sure of such during the related steps)

No, in fact what I personally did is:

Exploit/CFW
    1. Update to 4.82 if you haven't already
    2. Follow the instructions for software "downgrading" until your console triple-beeps and powers off, meaning the exploit should have done its job. I personally used a TDK 8GB, formatted to FAT32 with 4 kB blocks, and set the actual exploit webpage (with the pinkish background) as homepage then rebooted before running the exploit.
    3. Remove USB, Turn the PS3 back on and let it do the filesystem check...
    4. Download Ferrox 4.82 Cobra and put it on USB, renamed to /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP (this is the standard path for OFW or CFW installers).
    5. Insert stick in console again, update from system settings > removable media.
      If it fails to be detected try recovery mode (with the power off, hold the power button until you hear three total beeps and the console is off again, release for 2 seconds, start holding again until it beeps twice in a row = 4 beeps since you released and re-held the button).
      Follow the instructions.

Optional: Install a link to the Cybermodding appstore website
    1. Game > Package installer > System storage > Ferrox mod installer
    2. Game > Ferrox mod installer > homebrew store > install
    3. Network > cybermodding homebrew store (replaces the link to the PS3 manual).
    You navigate it like a website (R3 zooms, right stick scrolls, arrows or analog move pointer, X clicks, L1 back, R1 forward in history...)

If you want to practice, you can download Webman directy on your console instead of performing the next step on your PC: backup managers > webman mod 1.47.06 (the first one as of today) > point to USB drive, don't press X on it, press start to download

Webman installation
    1. Get Webman_mod_1.47.06_Updater.pkg and copy it to the root of the USB drive
    2. Also get the PSP launcher if you want to run said console's ISOs; only the "PSP_remaster_launcher_fixed.pkg" is required
    3. Game > Package installer > Install package files > Standard > all the stuff we downloaded in the previous steps
    4. Game > webman updater mod etc etc

"Installing" games
    While Webman is running, you can connect to your console via FTP without any further settings, and upload games in supported formats to appropriate subfolders of dev_hdd0, them being: BDISO-DVDISO (for decrypted movies), PSXISO-PS2ISO-PS3ISO-PSPISO (for games of those consoles)

Alternatively, you can download and install Multiman if you want an on-console file manager, although I don't have much experience with it:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Running games
    1. Game > Webman Games > pick your poison, you should get a notification saying the game was mounted. Alternatively you can go to Game > Webman Games > Webman Setup > PS3 Webman Games for a grid view in the web browser
    2. For PSP games, now go to Game [> Webman Games > PSP] > PSP Launcher, then select with or without local multiplayer tunneling (adhocparty)
    3. For PS1/PS2, now go to Game > Playstation[2] Format Disc.

Tips
    • The Webman settings, however daunting at first, have useful features such as fan control and a list of button combos: watch what you click but don't hesitate to look at them!
    • By default the fan will have a very high minimum in PS2 mode (even before said games are started, don't panic!
    • Similiarly, the power LED going yellow when entering or leaving an application is not a sign of disaster
    • "Cobra" firmwares, compared to normal ones, have integration (but not necessarily the required software built-in) for FTP, ISO loading, etc -- the name comes from Cobra, who is a company that made PS* modding tools including an ODE and in particular a dongle-based CFW, "Cobra USB v6".

Last edited by Ryccardo, Nov 25, 2017
    king_leo, Lemon_, DaMan and 6 others like this.
  2. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    What is the best fan controls you recommend? I disabled the dynamic fan and enabled syscon which is the system default fan. When I first installed webman I noticed the fans running very fast so I used sys fans default.

3. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I would adjust the fan based on how loud it gets normally when playing a game.

4. joe7dust

joe7dust Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    Can you explain the process of playing backups step by step? I haven't been able to get much of anything to work aside from .pkg files. I have ftp set up. For example I have one game that is in a folder called "BLES01138" and in that is a folder called "PS3_GAME" and a file named "PS3_DISC.SFB". I tried just putting them in the PS3ISO directory as is but cannot get them to show up anywhere even in webbrowser mode it says 0 games. Is there a tool to convert games in this format into an ISO or PKG single file?

edit: I've just noticed that I probably created this PS3ISO directory and it is in the wrong spot. I flipped thru just about every directory on my HDD and I cannot find the list of directories that webMAN is pulling, there should be a place where folders both PS3ISO and PSPISO,etc. all coexist right?

Last edited by joe7dust, Nov 25, 2017
  5. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Thanks a bunch! That will help me, and most noobs who never had the chance to get a 3.55 PS3 before.

CallmeBerto and Ryccardo like this.
  6. joe7dust

joe7dust Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    Can anyone please help? I might have to switch to multiman I heard that works on 4.82 now but can only find guides/download links for 4.81 thru Google and the official thread linked in the will was edited last in 2012.

7. Frostbite189

Frostbite189 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2015
    Mexico
    Can we play ps2 game disk using webman???

8. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I currently use automatic (software), "at 66 celsius" whatever that number is supposed to mean, with 30% minimum - but with half a day I don't know how stable is this setup...

Frankly I haven't tried extracted PS3 games yet (or PS3 games at all), but I know GenPS3ISO exists

They're subfolders of the HDD root (ie dev_hdd0/PS3ISO), I think only Multiman creates them automatically

What do you need exactly?
    Multiman for 4.82? The 4.81.02 one from the appstore I've recommended appears to work fine
    The 4.82 official update? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3-fr/

I don't know, there's a Game > Webman Games > Setup > Insert Disc option but I can't try it

9. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    Follow

10. joe7dust

joe7dust Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    I found answer, just kept digging till I found the /games folder, it actually was me copying a game from disc that made me notice (new file created there).

11. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    The copyed game worked ?

12. joe7dust

joe7dust Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    United States
    Yes after I changed directory, not talking about the one I was copying from disc.

Multiman managed to find all of them instantly even though it's version 4.81 from a good while back.

Last edited by joe7dust, Nov 25, 2017
  13. Frostbite189

Aug 27, 2015
    Mexico
    I have installed the webman pkg but there's not a web game game in order to play the game, can you help me??

14. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    what

You're saying you're not getting the "Webman Games" option under Package Installer? If so, open the Webman Updater again, but hold L1 before you open it until it exits :)

15. Frostbite189

Aug 27, 2015
    Mexico
    Yes, I have installed
    webMAN MOD 1.47.06

And hold L1 then x, it boots ferrex but no webman game is shown

16. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Reboot the console, if it's still not there try again the updater holding X instead... it doesn't always stick the first time

17. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Will the psp remaster launcher also work on 4.81.2 rebug rex custom firmware?

18. THYPLEX

THYPLEX GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    Italy
    Rome
    I've installed FERROX Cobra and webman , now , of i want to play a ps3 iso i just need to put It in the ps3 isos folder of webman through FTP CONNECTION ?

19. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I don't know for sure, this isn't a Rebug support topic... but the basic Webman/Multiman functionality should be the same on any Cobra-enabled CFW

That should do it, but I haven't tried PS3 games yet (and probably won't in quite some time)

20. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Dynamic fan control set to 65 degrees is a must and if you don't well enjoy your YLOD in the future. Consoles don't use lead anymore and the ps3 fan standard only kicks in after 70 degrees and because of heating cooling constantly the solder will start to crack. If you set it up at 65 degrees it will not heat and cool down that much constantly and keep it constant. But ey, it's your console. I have multiple ps3's all loaded when CFW just came out so many years ago and 2 ps3 fats still going strong thanks to that while most already died off.

Last edited by kumikochan, Nov 26, 2017
    Ryccardo likes this.