Doran754

Conform comrades
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's been a while since I've been around the 3ds scene. I've not used it since gateway stopped updating in february last year, I'm still on 4.5. What are my options? What's the best thing to do, any advice would be appreciated, looking forward to Luigi's Mansion so it's encouraged me to try and get it sorted.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to keep bothering you, it doesn't say in the guide. Just about to get started with this, am I formatting my SD card before doing this, or am i keeping the gateway stuff etc because it doesn't say. Thanks.

If you setup CFW and then update to 11.8, you wouldn't be able to use gateway.

Doran754

Conform comrades
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just installed most of it, I'm upto the point of the guide where it's talking about updating the system firmware. I just want to double check this part. Am I actually meant to be doing a sysnand update before moving onto the homebrew launcher?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive just installed most of it, I'm upto the point of the guide where it's talking about updating the system firmware. I just want to double check this part. Am I actually meant to be doing a sysnand update before moving onto the homebrew launcher?

Use soundhax to setup CFW, then you can do update to 11.8, note for updating to 11.8, you lose access to gateway, using gateway on 11.4 and higher you would lose CFW and go back to stock firmware.

Doran754

Conform comrades
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use soundhax to setup CFW, then you can do update to 11.8, note for updating to 11.8, you lose access to gateway, using gateway on 11.4 and higher you would lose CFW and go back to stock firmware.

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm not fussed about using gateway, It's not worked for me for a long time, well over a year. https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup on this page I'm upto section 3. I'm just unsure on whether im misunderstanding it. I've done everything upto this point. So It's safe to go ahead and update the system firmware and then carry on with the guide? Thanks.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm not fussed about using gateway, It's not worked for me for a long time, well over a year. https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup on this page I'm upto section 3. I'm just unsure on whether im misunderstanding it. I've done everything upto this point. So It's safe to go ahead and update the system firmware and then carry on with the guide? Thanks.

You can update then setup the homebrew launcher then install those recommended cia.

Doran754

Conform comrades
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All done! themes setup, this was alot easier than i expected. I'd been putting this off for the longest time. Thanks for the help, much appreciated, gonna copy some games over to root and see how it goes.

Edit: am I to take it only .cia works on luma?

Last edited by Doran754,
Reactions: Hayato213

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
All done! themes setup, this was alot easier than i expected. I'd been putting this off for the longest time. Thanks for the help, much appreciated, gonna copy some games over to root and see how it goes.

Edit: am I to take it only .cia works on luma?
Yes, only cia to install games.

Reactions: Doran754

Doran754

Conform comrades
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One last question and ill lock/delete this as im basically done. I take it I can play retail carts online without needing to worry about nintendo doing some sort of check for cfw? Thanks for all the help.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
One last question and ill lock/delete this as im basically done. I take it I can play retail carts online without needing to worry about nintendo doing some sort of check for cfw? Thanks for all the help.
You can even play the pirated games online without fear (almost).
You only have to avoid cheating in online games and playing first party games early.

Also there is still a chance that Nintendo could ban you if you install cfw, but it's very small, just make sure that you are offline when using apps like FBI and other hombrews.

Reactions: Doran754

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can even play the pirated games online without fear (almost).
You only have to avoid cheating in online games and playing first party games early.

Also there is still a chance that Nintendo could ban you if you install cfw, but it's very small, just make sure that you are offline when using apps like FBI and other hombrews.
You don't even really need to be offline while using homebrew apps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.