4.4 sysNAND; Can I run CIA games without a Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Calico, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    I'm relatively new to this community, but I followed the 3DScene a while back. I can't be sure, but I have vague memories of some people being able to install BigBlueBox/Menu and play CIA backups or something? I'm wondering if it's possible to do that, or do I need to put down $100+ (Canadian) in order to play 3DS games. Thanks.

2. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    You can use Rxtools its free

3. Calico
    OP

Calico Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    North Pole, New York
    Thanks for the fast reply, I've read the RxTools thread, but doesn't it require you to have a Blue Gateway card?

4. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    Do you have any R4 clone?
    i think you can use the internet browser to install the mset but i donĀ“t know how

5. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    You can buy a GW card from a Canadian supplier for $65 (if you have a Canadian VISA card or email money transfer). I'm not going to link to that site, but it's an "official supplier" so you can just go look for it. With a 4.x 3DS (XL) I always advise GW, just for ease of use (run .3ds/.3dz files) and no messing with your SysNAND. But if you don't want to spend $65 for that, there are plenty of tutorials for CFW.

6. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    If you have a functional web browser you don't need anything else other than your own SD card.

Use the web browser to install rxTools, then use Dev Mode + Sysupdater to update to 9.2, with that you can use the Menuhax + ctrbootmanager combo to coldboot rxTools.

No Gateway
    No blue card
    No R4i
    No nothing...