XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I got my hands on another Wii presenting the following specs:

4.3E
Hardmodded (unknown chip)
Never softmodded before

The thing is, someone else inserted a 4.2U disk on it and updated the wii, then via savemiifrii I updated again to 4.3E but, unfortunately, when I try to access the Wii Setting it gives me Opera Error.

Any solutions for this? Thanks!

padooo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks cobleman, this might be why I'm getting the problem... any thoughts on how I could get this working again?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks cobleman, this might be why I'm getting the problem... any thoughts on how I could get this working again?
It would be a lot easier if you had softmodded your Wii or had something under 4.3. However, it can still be done. Download LetterBomb, put it on your SD card, place this boot.elf file in the root of your SD card, and launch Letterbomb.

When Wii Mod loads up, go to Channels, choose EULA, set the region to "Europe (E)", then install.

padooo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be a lot easier if you had softmodded your Wii or had something under 4.3. However, it can still be done. Download LetterBomb, put it on your SD card, place this boot.elf file in the root of your SD card, and launch Letterbomb.

When Wii Mod loads up, go to Channels, choose EULA, set the region to "Europe (E)", then install.

Hmm, I get your point but since I can't access my Wii Settings how am I supposed to discover my MAC adress?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the opera error has to do with the setting.txt, not with the eula. you can fix it with smashstack. or if you are to cheap to rent that game, you can go to the photo channel and send a bunch of pictures to yourself. and create a memo to yourself that contains a mii created on your wii. after you fill up the 20MiB messageboard, it will ask to dump the contents to your SD card. you can use the memo you created that contains the mii to bruteforce your mac address pretty quickly.

padooo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahahaha thats awesome giantpune, thanks!

Well I got Lego Indiana Jones so I guess I can stick foward with that otherwise I will just letterbomb this **** up.

Ok, so it's related to setting.txt, how am I supposed to fix it? Should I just try to reinstall the 4.3E via Modmii or should I stick with what joost said?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Hmm, I get your point but since I can't access my Wii Settings how am I supposed to discover my MAC adress?
Lol, facepalm. That's a good point.

@giantpune: I didn't think an update affected setting.txt. I thought you had to have all the right region files (depending on what setting.txt says) installed on your Wii (Region Select, EULA, and the System Menu) to avoid an Opera error. It's been a long time since I have even seen one of these (these days it's mostly wifi/bluetooth failure or installing stubs). You are making me feel stupid, lol.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the system menu uses the area value in the setting.txt to build a path. then it tries to access an html file in its archive based on that path. when it cant find that html file, you get a black screen with a white page on it that says something like "can't find the page "MARC:/EU/EU/index.html".

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
the system menu uses the area value in the setting.txt to build a path. then it tries to access an html file in its archive based on that path. when it cant find that html file, you get a black screen with a white page on it that says something like "can't find the page "MARC:/EU/EU/index.html".
So if you install an out-of-region update, it changes AREA? If that is true, shouldn't the 4.3E update have changed it back?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have it backwards. if you install the wrong region system menu, the setting.txt never gets changed. thats why they end up not matching.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess my confusion lies with the first post. What region was he on to begin with? Unless I'm reading it wrong, he says he has a PAL Wii.

I'm likely making a fool out of myself. I'm running on like 3 hours of sleep, so nothing is that clear right now. I've had to rewrite this post several times because it doesn't make sense when I finish it. It's probably better if I just stay away from any brick-related threads until I can write a sentence once and have it make sense.

padooo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you are helping there's nothing wrong with it and you got it right.

He was on 4.1E, than 4.2U and now 4.3E without access to wii settings.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Someone correct me if I am wrong (probably am, lol), but the only two region-related things that could be NTSC-U are Region Select and EULA. They could have been updated from the 4.2U update, but would be ignored by the 4.3E update since the versions are the same.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Someone correct me if I am wrong (probably am, lol), but the only two region-related things that could be NTSC-U are Region Select and EULA. They could have been updated from the 4.2U update, but would be ignored by the 4.3E update since the versions are the same.
The last letter of the title ID for each region's EULA and Region Select is different.

The PAL and US versions of EULA and Region Select can both be installed at the same time.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The last letter of the title ID for each region's EULA and Region Select is different.

The PAL and US versions of EULA and Region Select can both be installed at the same time.
Facepalm. Well I'm out of ideas. He has a PAL Wii with 4.3E on it, but can't get into settings. Unless he changed setting.txt, I don't know what could cause this. At least not in my current state, lol.

@OP: I imagine that someone else will solve this problem, but in the event that they don't, you could softmod it and try out Settings Editor GUI. It's kind of an add-on to postLoader (a System Menu replacement).

padooo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, maybe I should stick with the softmod guide then try to reinstall the 4.3E firmaware via Modmii, if anything goes wrong I'll just reset the wii settings and reupdate.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, maybe I should stick with the softmod guide then try to reinstall the 4.3E firmaware via Modmii, if anything goes wrong I'll just reset the wii settings and reupdate.
I suggest you downgrade to 4.1E so you will have more options if something goes wrong. 4.2+ were designed to kill homebrew, block region free for modchips, and brick region changed Korean Wii's. No features or bug fixes were added.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?