4.3 Bricked Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NickelWii, Jan 12, 2011.

Jan 12, 2011

4.3 Bricked Wii by NickelWii at 1:21 PM (5,956 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. NickelWii
    OP

Newcomer NickelWii Member

United States
    Hi, This is my first post on this forum. It seemed like a place where i might be able to get some help from people who know their stuff about Wii hacking...

So here is my past situation:

3.4 Semi Bricked wii:

I had installed the Twilight Princess hack and Home brew channel quite a while ago. A family member hit yes to an update and it locked itself up.

It would display the health warning screen but never a 'Press A to continue". I installed a WODE and attempted to recover using Universal Unbrick Disc V 4. No luck with that, it'd say "An error had occurred please power off and refer to the manual"(something like that) when i put it in and did nothing in recovery mode. After this i tried Kirby's Epic Yarn in recovery mode (savemiifii modded gamecube pad). It seemed to be working (updating the system). It took a while then i got a 4.3 instead of a 3.4 in recovery menu and for a split second i got the channels loading with the pattern of gray squares flashing across the screen.

This brings me to mu current state, 4.3U:

Now instead of waiting at the health warning screen it hard freezes there. I cant turn it off using the power button (for a soft off with the yellow power light) it wont load anything not even to give me the "An error has occurred" screen. And when i try anything in recovery mode now it just seems to freeze after loading a small bit of the disc.

In this last state I've tried:
    Kirby's Epic Yarn
    UUDv2
    UUDv4
    Nintendo recovery disc 1.31

All to no effect. Recovery mode is the only place the wii will even look at them even for a second but still no help.

I'm not sure what my options are now. Please advise if you could. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Can you still enter recovery mode?

3. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    Yes, i still can. It shows 4.3 in the corner instead of 3.4 now.

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    because your brick was not caused by a theme or similar. likely you have a banner brick. id doesnt matter what system menu you update to, the bad banner will still be there. if nintendo doesnt change the banner checking code in future system menus, you will get the same result.

you cannot use a recovery disc because it has a broken signature. this is why it gives "an error has occurred..."

your best bet is to do the trick where you autoboot a bunch of games to create a save file and fill up your nand. autoboot rockband or similar ( games that have DLC ) and use it to see how full you are. once you get only a few empty blocks, autoboot a game with a channel installer. it will tell you your wii is too full and kick you directly to the wii settings. there, delete the channel with the bad banner and all the useless saves you now have.

since you have wode, you have 2 choices for autobooting games. you can put the game on your computer and edit the first byte of the iso to 0. but faster is to go to the wode forums, look in the releases section, and find the downgrade update they have. use it to downgrade the wode to 1.xxx. That will gave you a setting called autoboot. turn that on and save the settings and then every game you boot will be autobooted.

you really shot yourself in the foot by updating to 4.3, as now you cant boot out-of-region games. it limits you in the games you have to chose from to find the bigass saves to fill up the wii.

5. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    I haven't been able to load a game so far. I've tried turning the wii on and then off as soon as i see the warning screen. This allows for a soft off and the wode to fully boot.

From there i can load a physical disc or an iso. When i load either the wii automatically tuns on and then hangs at the warning screen. It doesn't get as far as the game. It doesn't even read the disc.

Instead i can load the disc or iso from soft off(yellow power light, standby i guess) and hold the dpad for recovery mode. In recovery it will read from the disc a whole bunch, the 4.3 will go away and then it will hang and still not go into the game.

How can i get it to skip that warning thing and not hang?

6. giantpune

United States
    your games wont magically start unless you set them to autoboot. from there, they will boot from the recovery menu

7. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    I was just able to get into maintenance mode using an autoboot disc which allowed the "press a" to come up. I dont see any offending channels.

What would be a good next step?

Also, thank you for your very prompt replies i really appreciate the help!

Update:
    In maintenance mode on exiting the settings menu the Wii froze. I can no longer get into maintenance mode using the same disc.... This is strange because i didn't even change any settings. I was just looking around.

8. giantpune

United States
    heres what i would do.
    PLAN A
    1) rent lego indiana or yugioh( sp? )
    2) set wode to autoboot and bring up the recovery menu ( black screen with 4.3 in the corner )
    3) mount either of the games in wode, and it will automatically start the game. ( you need this to happen before step 5 will work )
    4) keep trying maintenance mode to see if it will magically let you back into the wii settings.
    5) if you ever make it back there, use the data management to copy a the exploited game save for that game to your wii
    6) boot the game either from the disc channel or the recovery menu and trigger the exploit to load some homebrew. from there, you should be able to fix it

PLAN B
    1) rent SSBB
    2) keep trying maintenance mode to see if it will magically let you back into the system menu
    3) if you ever make it back there, boot the game directly from the disc channel without autoboot set on the wode. then use smash stack to run some homebrew

PLAN C
    1) rent a shitload of games and just Keep filling up your nand and do what i said in the first place. if, while youre trying this, the system menu magically starts up for you, go back to plan A or B

** maintenance mode and recovery mode are 2 different things.

9. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    Ok, Thanks

I'll keep trying. I've got that maintenance mode and recovery mode are different. I think my main problem is that this may be more than just a banner brick. I may have a hardware issue. I'm thinking this because I've tried isos i set to autoboot using the autoboot creator and I've tried all the games i own and in recovery they all act the same.

I mount or insert the disc, the wii reads a bunch of data and the 4.3 goes away. After the 4.3 goes away i assume it should go straight to game bypassing the banner brick but it does not. The wii hard freezes. I think that's my main issue with performing any sort of recovery.

10. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    I kept trying and eventually got back to the maintenance mode!

From there i used the smash stack to install the homebrew channel and bootmii.

Working much better and I'm backing up NAND to SD Card now.

However, I'm worried about this happening again. I don't really need homebrew anymore. I'll take a look and see if there are any guides for going back to 4.3U Stock.

Thanks for your help!!

11. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    I spoke too soon. I can reliably get into the Maintenance mode system menu and now the Homebrew channel, BootMii and Priiloader.

I still can't boot into the regular System Menu though. Any ideas?

12. giantpune

United States
    what all channels are installed on the wii? if you can start in maintenance mode, i would guess that one of the chans channels is to blame. these channels have a different banner when you are in maintenance mode. it may also be the mailbox brick, but im not sure if that one shows any signs.

if you have a nand.bin, i would like to take a loot at it

13. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    I have a few purchased channels from a while ago and the new Homebrew channel installed 1.0.8 from the guide stickeyed at the top of this forum.

I have a backup of the nand taken during the hack install process. How could i send it to you?

Also, any time i try to delete a channel it says the delete may have failed and i can't boot into maintenance mode anymore... I have to restore from the nand.bin i took each time

14. giantpune

United States
    ok, ive had a chance to look at this nand. i will post the log here in case somebody else finds theirself in a similar situation...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

the hmac signatures on several files are screwed up. most of these happen to be files related to the wc24 stuff. and when you boot the system menu in maintenance mode, it doesnt do the wc24 stuff, so i assume it doesnt try to load these files. this is why it works then.

how to fix it? well, good news is that you have bootmii at boot2. you get to experiment without fear of making it worse. if it were me, i would boot up HBC, then load up anytitledeleter and delete completely the titles with the bad hmac ( except 00000001/00000002 ). then try to boot the wii. if it works, you can chose to stop here if you want. you can insert a disc again and let the wii update and it will the weather channel ( 00010002/48414645 ) back. you can install the internet channel ( 00010001/48414445 ) again for free from the shopping channel.

this still leaves you with some files left botched. including your Mii database ( "/shared2/menu/FaceLib/RFL_DB.dat" ), your messageboard ( "/title/00000001/00000002/data/cdb.vff" ), and the wc24 files ( "/shared2/wc24/....." ). load up FStoolbox or something and delete these files.

there are no files included in this list that MUST be present for the wii to boot. if you delete them, the wii will create them again when it sees they are missing.

15. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    I'll give it a shot tonight! Thank you very much for your help!

What tool did you use to evaluate the files?

16. giantpune

United States
    its one i made myself. it checked all hash & signatures against the ones in the tmds & content map, does some checks that a title's IOS is present and bootable, looks at file & folder attributes, scans for lost clusters, and verifies the spare data.

the only thing in your nand that i dont see can be fixed easily on the wii is the lost clusters. there is no function of IOS i know of that reclaims lost clusters. so you would have to fix it on the PC or use a custom written program with its own FS driver. Each cluster is 8 pages, and each page is 2KiB. that gives about 5MiB or ~1% of nand space that you wont get back.

17. NickelWii
    OP

United States
    Ok, I think I'm fine with loosing the space it's not all that much.

18. fabiolinojoe

Newcomer fabiolinojoe Newbie

Italy
    Hi, i'm new... i wanted to ask one question... See i have a wii with 4.3E fw, and a original game of Mario Kart Wii, is possible to make a downgrade of fw using recovery mode, by gamecube pad??? and so install a previous firmware??? thanks u anyway...

19. fabiolinojoe

Newcomer fabiolinojoe Newbie

Italy
    I want add one information... my wii is not bricked... is virgin... but i wanted to know if is possible make a downgrade of fw with a recovery mode....

20. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    You don't even need to go into recovery mode to downgrad to a different System Menu (FW is Firmware=PS3) ;.)
    People most common mistake when downgrading System Menus is that the IOS required for that particular SM is usually a STUB and this will brick your Wii unless your have a NON-STUB IOS that runs.

Example. 4.3u/j/e = IOS80
    4.2u/j/e = IOS70
    4.1u/j/e = IOS60

just make sure that neither one of these is a STUB IOS and you will be fine when downgrading your SM ;.) if you have a STUB in place of one of these IOS and you downgrade you will brick!

You can always use ModMii or NUSD to grab the required System Menu you need/want and either install by Wad Manager or Dop-Mii [​IMG] either way it goes it will work and will not cause you any problems unless you have a STUB IOS which that System Menu requires to run on.

Hope this helps.